“Great ambiance, wonderful food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Barbounia

Barbounia
Reserve with OpenTable
Barbounia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,008 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 20th Street
Transit: 6 train to 23rd St or L,N,Q,R,W,4,5,6 to Union Square
Seattle, Washington
“Great ambiance, wonderful food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

The restaurant has a fantastic ambiance and the food was super tasty. A bit on the pricey side, but I would definitely recommend to others as a great spot.

Visited July 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
“Solid Brunch Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

With a few child-free minutes on our hands (thanks to the fact my fabulous in-laws flew into town) my husband and I headed out to Barbounia for our first uninterrupted lunch in ages. Here are my thoughts:

Food: Salad nicoise was delicious and the presentation was perfect. My husband had an omelette and while simple, it was quite tasty. The accompanying potatoes were the highlight. I think I ate most of them. The complimentary bread was a bit dry - not too impressed there.

Service: Friendly waiter, food came out quickly.

Ambiance: This restaurant is beautiful and had a nice young vibe. My only gripe was that they really pack their customers in. We were sitting so close to our neighbors that I could have reached over and tried their shashuka (sp?), which I was quite tempted to do.

Bottom Line: This place is great. Reasonably priced and the food is good. I knock one star off for having to sit so close to strangers....

Visited June 2014
“Good service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were out of town guests visiting my friend's sister who lives in the city. She took us here for dinner and it was really good. The appetizer of tzatziki, hummus and feta was pretty good. (similar to other high end Greek restaurants I've visited. The bread served was a little greasy but my personal taste is to serve bread un-buttered so guests can put on as little or as much as they want. Everyone got a different entree. I had the halibut which was cooked perfectly and tasted fresh. I had a mid grade glass of Riesling that was very good. The sommelier stopped by our table and helped us with our beverage choices. It was loud and crowded but not to the point of being unpleasant. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their food which included the lamb, steak and scallops. One of my friends did order the cheesecake for dessert and ended up with a pannacotta instead. She was going to eat it anyways because she it sounded good on the menu to but when we tasted it, it had this weird "rose water" jell layered on top that tasted like eating flowers. I have seasoned particular dishes with rose water before so I'm not unfamiliar with the flavor but this was the wrong application. It overwhelmed (in a bad way) the delicateness of the pannacotta. Overall, a good meal.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank jonandkate83
Chennai (Madras), India
“Excellent food, service and ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I visited Barbounia two weeks back on Sunday afternoon to try out their bottomless brunch menu (for and additional $18 you can add unlimited champagne cocktails - Mimosas and Bellinis to your meal). Although I didn't have a reservation, the hostess was extremely friendly and invited us to have a seat at the bar while we waited for a table. Our server was very knowledgeable about the various dishes and made some excellent recommendations. He was very prompt when it came to refilling our cocktail glasses (you don't see this happen often at an unlimited nyc brunch. Usually, they try and avoid you as much as possible). I ordered the Greek artichoke pizza which was delicious and my boyfriend ordered the mezze platter. The quantities are very good and the ambiance is fun and lively. I would highly recommend this place for a fun Sunday brunch with a large group or a romantic date in the evenings. The area around the restaurant (Gramercy Park/Flatiron) has some gorgeous houses and its fun to explore on a warm summer day!

• Visited May 2014
Mission Viejo, California
“Noteworthy service and ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

During a recent visit to New York City, we stumbled upon this restaurant on the way to another.
What a pleasant experience we had.
My daughter and I were greeted in a friendly manner. Everything from the ambiance to the food selection and service was enough to rate this review on the high side.