“Trendy restaurant with nice ambience and food average to good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 13,552 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Asian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A,C,E to 14th Street. L to 8th Ave.
Description: The surreal atmosphere of this awe-inspiring restaurant in the Meatpacking district of Manhattan combines the serenity of Asia with the flamboyance of 16th century Paris. The menu features fanciful interpretations of Chinese dishes and delights even the most discriminating palates.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Trendy restaurant with nice ambience and food average to good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

As you walk into Buddakan, you instantly feel like you're in a place to be seen. The restaurant itself is very stylish, we enjoyed cocktails at the bar as an aperitif before being taken to our table. The wine list was varied and the food menu explained to us sufficiently. The food itself was good; having eaten in other Asian-fusion restaurants in the UK I can't say it beat any of those but it was an altogether enjoyable experience in the cool Meatpacking district of New York.

1 Thank Ellbee84

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton
“Delicious and tantalizing to the palate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Food was served and I was so impressed. The presentation and the spices were mouth watering. Everything was served to perfection. The Edamame dumplings were so great! Going back again tonight!

Montreal, Canada
“I'm a tough critic and I was blown away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I often say that 1 person can make a whole lot of difference in a restaurant experience. No matter how nice the place is, how good the food is - if the service is not at the same level as the rest, the experience can be a disaster. I arrived at the restaurant at 8:31pm (reservations at 8:30) and was underdressed for the place - the hostess was not pleasant and I was already envisioning a disastreous experience. However, once we were seated, the waitress was not at all judgmental (I guess she realized that it was quite possible that my luggage was lost and those were the only clothes I had with me perhaps) because she gave us the same incredible service as I saw her giving guests dressed in $2,000 suits. I can't write enough about the incredibly high level of service, her recommendations were superb, she was engaging, always checked in on us, quick to respond, explained in good detail a lot of the things, etc. One of the best service I ever received in a Manhattan restaurant, good job Becky! Now, here's the best past: The food was even better than I expected, probably one of the best Asian experiences I ever had - and I've been to Asia! Portions are generous, quality is superb, presentation exquisite, taste is absolutely perfectly balanced. One word to sum it all up: Wow.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Cool Place but Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This place is huge and very busy on a Friday evening. It is very dark but that's kind of the ambiance. We only ordered appetizers and dessert which may be why our server appeared so eager to turn our table over but the experience felt very rushed.
Standouts food wise were spring rolls, tuna and short ribs. Dumplings did not win fans in our group. The place is pricey but this is NY so didn't expect anything else. $75 per person for appetizers, dessert, a few drinks and gratuity.

Tallinn
“Go for the food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

If it weren't so dark and the service personnel filled with a puerile attitude, the experience would have been noteworthy. Nevertheless we went for the food and the food delivered.