“Awesome food - great waitstaff - overbearing management.”
Review of A Voce

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 26th Street
Description: The word is out: Marlon Abela, the restaurateur behind London's Michelin one-star with two-stars rising Greenhouse, has opened a new modern Italian restaurant A Voce ("word of mouth") on the edge of chic Madison Square Park. The emphasis is on grown-up, deeply delicious Italian cookery set against a back drop of Italian style and organic East Coast elements.
Ballston Lake, New York
“Awesome food - great waitstaff - overbearing management.”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We recently had dinner on A Voce. The view of Columbus Circle is lovely. The food was absolutely delicious. Our very knowledgeable and friendly waiter encouraged us to try a new wine, which we did hesitantly, but he was spot on. The wine was superb and no more expensive than our usual glasses. The only odd thing about this restaurant are the number of "managers" that constantly circulate through the restaurant interfering with the waitstaff and seeming to constantly admonish the supporting waitstaff. The expressions on their faces are miserable and it literally made me uncomfortable. At one point, our waiter was just chatting for a few minutes with us, not long at all, and I could see one of the "managers" approaching the table with an angry expression because the waiter had I supposed lingered too long. Next to the food, one of the most important aspects of dining is the ambiance. These constantly circulating guards need to chill; they are a real buzz kill in a nice restaurant. It is strange to feel you got your waiter in trouble just by talking to him.

• Visited July 2012

• Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
“Sophisticated food, wonderful service”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We went to A Voce, Madison for a special dinner on Christmas Eve. The food was beautifully prepared and unusual with evocative Italian flavours. I was particularly impressed with the service. Our waiter was one of the most genuinely engaging people I have ever had the pleasure of being served by guiding us through the menu and talking to us about options for eating and shopping during our New York trip and even providing recommendations of places in London which was the next stage on the trip without in any way feeling pushy or interrupting the flow of our leisurely and romantic dinner.

Visited December 2011
Burlington, Vermont
“Unique and Fantastic but Caveat Emptor”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I so want to go back again. There was so much on the menu I wanted to try and tasting off my dining partners' plates wasn't enough. It appears that the menu changes daily and so i can't find my exact dish on the internet today, but it was chicken and it was flattened although they didn't call it "brick" chicken and on a bed of mushrooms that were so delicious I'd order the dish again. The pasta dish I tasted was marvelous also and a favorite of one of my dining partner's. The hanger steak was excellent. The antipasti of select hams and pickled vegetables were lovely with their homemade focaccio. The semifreddo saffron mousse was odd, but worth trying. The home made marshmallows that were brought before dessert were dusted or flavored with lemon and big and scrumptious. BUT WARNING -- they open a special bottle of wine each night so diners can taste something special. ASK FOR THE PRICE PER GLASS. On our night the price was $35 a glass so we declined, but we were given a tiny taste. We saw that another table didn't ask the price of the special wine before ordering it and when the check came, there was a slight argument. It seemed though that the manager, after discussing this with the disgruntled customer, adjusted the bill. REGARDING ATMOSPHERE -- not romantic because the dining room is large with no table cloths. The view is fantastic at Columbus Circle but the room has the feel of a giant Chinese restaurant, in Shanghai. There is a separate smaller room that is sometimes open but it wasn't the night we were there. Perhaps that's more intimate. KITCHEN -- I took a peek in the kitchen and watched the chefs through the windows. It was spotless and they seemed super-organized. SERVICE -- a little slow. I like a leisurely meal and there was no rush, but sometimes we were looking for our waiter. Looking forward to a return trip!

Merrick, New York
“Lovely”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Had a lovely meal at the Madison Ave. location...
from walking in the door to when we left, all staff was extremely congenial and helpful.... Not intrusive or over bearing, professional without snobbery....
The Wine list ( I am not a wine expert ) appeard good, with two of,our party choosing wine by the glass ...they offerd a taste first for one who was unsure of the choices....
There was also a speciality drink menu....
The menu was a lovely mix of favors...Rustic Italian ( not a red sauce joint) but with modern styling.... All pasta made in house... Fresh ricotta was wonderful!
All of us loved what we ate, from cold asparagus and mint soup, forccia with ricotta ( this one was the best!) fungi ....pasta , pork, chicken all lovely....
The deserts were fun and tasty too!

NYC
“Well intentioned but they miss the mark.”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The space is large and very corporate feeling. Somehow the uptown A Voce feels much more intimate. We asked for a full bodied wine, something comparable to a cab sauv...and this stumped the somelier. (First clue) We ordered the stracciatella with pesto and beans, which was served several degrees too cold. As it warmed up, this dish became fabulous. The fried spinach pillows and proscuitto was however FABULOUS. That antipasto was seriously knock your socks off. Then my friend and I shared the parpadelle with a wild boar ragu. It was a little too salty and very rich but good. My friend really liked it. And per Kevin, our waiter's recco we tried the pies which were a suggested side dish. They were very, very salty and undercooked. So we sent that back and tried the Polenta. Which was again a little too salty, but had a nice corn flavor. The complimentary little marshmallows at the end are coated in way too much sugary cornflower that it obscures the lemonciello flavor a little, as it gums up your tongue, but they are a nice idea. And very sweet of the restaurant.

The service was pretty terrible. I refilled our wine glasses EVERY SINGLE TIME, despite the fact the waiter was over often for extra bread etc. Each time he never noticed our glasses were empty. Plus, despite being a 3 star place the bus boys are bored and keep trying to take your plates even if your dinning partner is still eating. Not good form. Although the place was virtually empty, people didn't seem to be attentive and we saw multiple people having to flag down staff members.

Keith the bartender is great though. Super thoughtful and diligent. He gets it.