“Too noisy, but good food”
Review of Buddha Bar

Buddha Bar
Ranked #200 of 873 Nightlife in New York City
Reviewed August 5, 2009

- Overly helpful waitress, to the point of annoyance (repeatedly interrupting conversations to ask if we'd like more water or other trivialities), but helpful nonetheless
- Good food - enjoyed it very much
- nice decor - looks like a posh place, IS a posh place
- pricy, but what would you expect given the above (think $ 120 per person, including mid-range wine)
- only real negative is that the volume of the music keeps creaping up over time, and by the time you're almost done with your main course (10pm-ish) you will literally have to shout to each other to have a conversation.

Don't misjudge: I am only 34, and I like clubs - I'm not some old dude that shouldn't go to places like these anymore. This is a restaurant though, and people have dinner together to have a good meal AND a good conversation. The waitresses have to ask orders three times because it's so loud - so it's not just me. Besides, this is the 4th time I have been there, so apparently I liked the atmosphere and food enough that I kept hoping that it was a one-off bad job from the DJ that night. By now, I can't justify that anymore, and going forward, I may need to reconsider the Buddha Bar as an option for dinner with people that I actually want to have a conversation with.

However, if it's your mother in law (mine is actually cool therefore not applicable to me) this is a must go ;-)

3  Thank STPHNDRKSN

Reviewed March 16, 2009

Being a regular to the Paris Buddha Bar, I thought I would try the New York one during a recent visit. My wife and I arrived for dinner and were met by friendly staff and shown to our table. The place looked great and as usual the music was fantastic!

However our mood changed when it took 15 minutes (and asking 2 other members of staff) to get our waiter to take our initial drink order, despite it not being very busy!

The tables were exceptionally small, very close to each other and it was almost pitch dark. Luckily my wife had her mobile phone so we used the light to read the menu.

Our starters arrived very quickly, however the drinks we ordered still hadn't arrived (They arrived at the end of the starter). After the starter I went to the toilet and returned to find my main course sitting waiting for me and my wife looking very dissatisfied after being hassled by the waiter to order bottled water rather than than iced water.

After the meal we had a long wait to get the bill and were very disappointed to find that an 18% service charge is automatically added to the bill. The service was awful and especially for the prices charged.

We came away very disappointed by the whole experience and would certainly not go back.

I would recommend this place to those people who care more about their image than good food and service or those who have little experience in fine dining (as its similar prices to michelin starred restaurants). It is a place that caters more for image and ego than good food and service. It is worth going for a drink though but if you want the real Buddha Bar experience go to the Paris one.

4  Thank Gibo6
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I went to Buddha Bar for my birthday dinner on Jan 23rd and this was my first time and I definately had a great birthday. The dinner was excellent and I was comfortably full. I had the chillean sea bass on "sticky" rice, and it was soooooo good. I was recommended by my friend who went there for dinner before and she loved it. The host and hostess were extremely nice, and our waiter was friendly and he sang happy birthday to me. I loved the decor, the music, the atmosphere and I would come back. I wouldn't pay $18 for a martini but I woulld come back for the food, music and decor. I loved it a lot and thank-goodness it was a great experience especially for my birthday.

1  Thank aquarius007
Reviewed January 12, 2009

went there for my fella's 34th birthday after he seen it on mtv and after my friend recommended it. we were extremely impressed by the interior decor, cocktails (even though we spilt them!), service, music (very funky!) and food (very tasty!). it was abit out of our price range but for a special occasion it was worth it. we would like to thank the owner of the bar who personally escorted us across the rd to tenjune (nightclub opposite where you need to be on the guest list) to the front of the queue where we got in free in front of everybody else (we felt like celebrities for the night!). we were treated with the upmost respect and courtesy all night. we were def impressed by this bar and it was the most classiest and poshest place we've ever been to and probably will ever go to! its a big shame we didnt take any photos to show our friends our amazing experience!