I found this on TripAdvisor when looking for a reasonable place to stay in New York City and was not disappointed. It is a real challenge to find a hotel in NYC with a private bathroom for less than $250 that is not creepy or gross. This is a non-profit Lutheran organization that does missionary work for sailors and seafarers. Operating the hotel is part of the fundraising for their mission. You don't have to be Lutheran or a seafarer to stay here.
Rooms are basic and dorm-room-like with twin beds and simple furnishings. It's not like you have the most luxurious beds or towels, but everything was very clean and there was a small flat-screen TV with cable and AC. It's a safe, clean place to lay your head. We had a room with private bath for $135, although shared bath rooms are also available at even less cost. Our floor did not appear to be crowded at all. We never saw anyone waiting for the shared bath. We had a nice view from our window of the NYC streetscape.
The location is fantastic, just a few blocks from Union Square, a fun neighborhood with shopping and dining. The East Village is close and the subway is very convenient, ready to take you anywhere in Manhattan.
We checked out after 2 of 4 days because my husband's cousin invited us to come stay in her apartment. We only did it to say a few bucks, not because we were unhappy with the room. We gave them 24 hours notice and they were fine with it. I plan on making this my regular hotel in NYC in the future.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Seafarers & International House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Seafarers & International House Hotel New York City
- Seafarers And International House
- Seafarers International Hotel
- Hotel Seafarers International