“Clean , Safe, A great value.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seafarers & International House

Seafarers & International House
Ranked #369 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Conway, South Carolina
“Clean , Safe, A great value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am a seaman and have stayed there many times on my way to work on my tugboat. This hotel has always been a real blessing to me. The rooms are basic, but I never really just hang out when I stay there. I like to go see NY when I have time. The location is excellant. Lots of fine restaurants , movies, etc. It's close to the subway.
You can't beat the price here. The rooms are always very clean, if plain.
I wouldn't judge the place on that one bad review where the reviewer didn't like the front desk person. they have always been decent to me and I have stayed there many times over the years. Maybe that one employee was just having a bad day.
If you like a good value, this is your place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Sccoast1700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I asked my room to be cleaned "three" separate times, and it was still not done. They do not clean the rooms on the weekend and change the sheets only once a week! When they did not follow-up on cleaning the room on the Monday, I was very disappointed. No one toke responsibility.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Anoush1
mdrege, General Manager at Seafarers & International House, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We publish in a directory as well as verbally tell guests upon check-in that there is no housekeeping service on weekends or holidays. We regret that this guest was not aware of this policy.
Menomonie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

For Manhattan Island, it is hard to beat the price point of a room at this hotel. We have stayed here many times and continue to be pleased with the offerings, the staff, and certainly the location as it is one block from Union Square and the subway. There are lots of amenities within a few block radius including but not limited to three grocery stores including Whole Foods, Trader Joes, a drug store/pharmacy, a multitude of restaurants, shopping, and Union Square itself which is pleasant to sit and relax in. Be aware the hotel is not the Plaza or the Hyatt Regency. The accomodations are basic with all the essentials one really needs. We had a twin room with bathroom in the room otherwise there is the option of sharing a bathroom in the hallway, which might decrease the cost of your room. The fact they are "more than a hotel" is also admirable given the ministry they provide (you're invited to check out the website for this info.) Overall, Seafarers will continue to be THE place we reside when visiting NYC.

Room Tip: We brought a white noise machine to help with some of the surrounding city traffic noise, which help...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Docoutside
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a room w/ twin bed & rollaway. Though we shared a shower & toilet, we never had to wait and both were clean as was our room. No wifi in the rooms, but in the lobby & on the mezzanine. The location was perfect as there were 3 grocery stores nearby so we had less expensive food options. My one complaint was with the rollaway, which was worn out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank atbw
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

After searching for affordable hotels in downtown New York, I was thrilled to discover the Searfarers. Yes, it is very, very basic. But it's in Manhattan! A couple of blocks from Union Square, with super easy subway access. Lots of restaurants and grocery stores nearby. If you just need a place to lay your head, you can't go wrong here. I was in a single room, with a shared bath. Never had to wait for the shower or toilet. My single complaint was the Internet access, as I'm an avid photographer who uploads to my Facebook "following' as I travel. I could rarely connect to their wireless, yet could go across the street to a local pub and connect fine. Aside from that, I will definitely stay here again and recommend Seafarers to my friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank JoyfulJourney55
Turku, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at the Seafarers & International House for the second time in April 2013. This time round we stayed in a twin room, with private bathroom. The hostel is quite modest, with basic furnishings, which are quite worn already. It seemed like one the sheets in one of the beds hadn’t been changed when we arrived, but we got new clean sheets when we asked for them. The staff at the front desk are quite grumpy, however. We had a room on the 6th floor and there was quite a lot of noise from the street, so be prepared and bring your ear plugs!

That said, we did enjoy our stay this time round as well. The hotel has an excellent location right next to Union Square and the price is unbeatable. A plus is that they also have free wifi and computers that you can use in the lobby. Another plus is that there was a small refrigerator in the room (not sure if all rooms have though).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Jalokivi
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Friendly staff, quiet serene atmosphere, clean rooms and bathrooms, adequately comfortable beds with newly laundered linens, what more could you ask for? Perfectly located near grocery stores, Subways and Starbucks and Panera. We stayed from Fri-Sunday and they kept our luggage for us until we were done exploring the city. We will be back!

Room Tip: Get the rooms on the upper floors with the private bath
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family