“must be avoided ...!”

Ranked #32 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We complement the information given by Geremy with photos from 5-star hotel:
- Sanitary blocks dated Abraham Lincoln (photo)
- Toilet seat scraped and dirty
- The kitchen is ... a refrigerator, a microwave oven, a TV and never washed three glasses
- Drafts of air with the windows closed so that pieces of plastic and paper
- Built-in wardrobe
- Windows of the bathroom with a transparent curtain for erotic exhibitionist
- Heating rare
- Lighting of the room as like a cemetery
- Broken Mirrors
- Linen generational
- Room service non-existent
- TV with only one channel, due to broken remote control

ABSOLUTELY TO AVOID (it would be better to sleep on a bench in Central Park)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Mario S

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here with a my wife, son and a group of friends to attend a wedding in September. We occupied the Malcolm X room and Marian's room. The rooms were nice and simple. The location was perfect VERY close to the subway which made everything convenient, specially coming back after a long day out in the city. The neighborhood was nothing how I read in the reviews I had read before booking in fact after staying there it was the exact opposite, It was FANTASTIC very lively, clean and friendly from what I experienced. I do plan on going back to New York in the near future and I will definitely be staying at the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn. I will recommend it to everyone traveling that way.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Javy737
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at the Sugar Hill second location on Convent Ave for an extra long weekend. It was a very convenient location - one block away from the entrance to the subway station and a quick trip to the theatre district and lower Manhattan. We also explored Harlem and found the neighbourhood very attractive and safe. Convent Ave is a quiet street and we had no noise problems with our room located on the street side.

The room was large and there was a lot of room in the closets for luggage. A small fridge was helpful. It is a short walk to go for breakfast in the other location, but we noted that another family used the kitchen in our location to make their own breakfasts and to prepare their evening meal.

There are some good restaurants in the neighbourhood - Tonali's was good, as was Harlem Public, both on Broadway around 149th street.

The Harlem Heritage tour is worthwhile, as it includes a tour of the Apollo theatre.

All in all we found the location excellent; the facilities comfortable and would use the place again for a trip to New York

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 768Chris239
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Big bedroom and bathroom in excellent shape and cleanliness. Home cooked breakfast. Within a couple blocks from subway and bus stops for easy access to NYC attractions. Owner on-site will see your visit is a pleasant one. I will definitely stay at this place on my next visit to NYC.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed in a beautifully large room (the Miles Davis room) with a kitchenette, shower, and a wonderful bed. The Sugar Hill Harlem Inn location was great: behind CCNY, close to the #1 line and the ACBD subway lines. The neighborhood included exquisite brownstones and I felt safe all of the time. A very nice pub/restaurant, The Grange was half a block away. The owner was a useful resource with regard to transportation, restaurants and sight-seeing. For its level of accommodation, the price was a steal. Highly recommended. Please note there is no swimming pool or fitness center here but that wasn't an option in the ratings.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank fellowtraveler13
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Sugar Hill Harlem Inn was truly a beautiful place to stay. I surprised my boyfriend on his 55th birthday celebration on Sept. 14th. We enjoyed the room, the Brownstone was beautiful, the owner Jeremy was very helpful. We plan on returning again to experience a different room. We loved the fact that the rooms are named after so many amazing African-American icons. We had the Nina Simone room - next time it will be Billie Holliday Room. Thanks again. Love the fact that I'm a New Yorker living in Queens and this is so easy to get too - so worth the trip even if living in NYC. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tififi2269
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My only negative experience was having to take the three flights of stairs (with a bad knee). We specifically requested & reserved the Satchmo room, but @ check-in, was advised it wasn't available; I was not happy about that at all. However, I would highly recommend this Inn to anyone.
The Josephine room was nice & jazzy! (Loved it, loved it!) There were awesome bodegas & cafes all within a very short walking distance ... I am in love with Harlem! We plan to lodge @ this Inn again when we return to New York next summer.

• Stayed: July 2013