“Great value for your money with "BUTs"”

Sugar Hill Harlem Inn
Ranked #33 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great value for your money with "BUTs"”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here for one week and we really liked it. There are some buts that someone might dislike or might find attractive:
The breakfast is not included in the price BUT it is not expensive ($7.5), you meet people there and you can go elsewhere.
Jeremy is talkative, friendly, helpful BUT he's conspiracy-theories-weirdo (actually I enjoyed this part a lot).
Homie atmosphere with people around you BUT not everybody likes this, right?
Pictoresque surrounding and people BUT someone might feel it's dangerous (we were returning from downtown late evenings and never felt any threat, Harlem is not what you see in old movies).
Stylish building BUT squeaky floor, shakey bathroom equipment (everything works fine, though).
Etc, etc...
Stay in Sugar Hill if you can survive points above - you'll get more from your visit in NYC.

Room Tip: In main building you don't need to walk few blocks in the morning.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
lordflea3, Owner at Sugar Hill Harlem Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
This couple booked 3 nights at Sugar Hill Harlem Inn. I notified them one week before their arrival of a change in the reservations. I informed them of the situation for the first night and reduced the rate of the room from $222 to $100. When they objected to the $100 price I gave them the room for $50 and reduced the other 2 nights to $190 without being asked plus I gave them a free breakfast. I want everyone to understand that the fee for breakfast is $7.50. Everyone will receive 2 emails from me and both emails have a very descriptive paragraph about breakfast and just in case there is a note on the door of your room.. There are 2 parts to the phrase bed and breakfast, so I have bought the most comfortable beds you can sleep on and I want to cook you the best breakfast you can eat. If there is some part of what I am doing that you do not like then tell me. I cannot fix a problem if you do not inform that there is a problem.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Netanya
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I am writing this review while everytings still fresh in my mind - just arrived back from a trip to New York.
My sister and I have very different tastes and needs but we were both satisfied with our 13 night stay at the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn.
Breakfast is very social with everyone sitting around one huge rustic table and the host Jeremy stimulates the conversations between guests. An added touch are the home baked goods still warm from the oven. Spend time discovering the local hangouts - Tante Dulce Cafe (tiny place serving excellent meals and cakes) and Picante (potent Mexican coctails)
As for Harlem itself - as two middle aged white women we felt perfectly safe, even at night and the advantage was the close proximity to two subway stations.
The Sugar Hill Harlem Inn has a relaxed creative atmosphere so if you are open minded enough to understand this you'll enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sharerez
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

When I reserved a room at the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn, it was advertised as a B&B. I was taking my family to New York to show them a good time in the city. After registering upon my arrival, I found that, while there was a bed, the second "B" might have stood for something else. (Hint: 2 syllables, starts with "bull") Let me explain. The room was very nice and clean, so no complaints there. However, that was overshadowed by the lack of complementary breakfast. As I registered with Jeremy (the owner), he informed me that breakfast was an ADDITIONAL $7.50 charge per breakfast, should I choose to eat there. This was the first Bed and Breakfast I had ever stayed at that charged you for breakfast every morning. Needless to say, the second "B" was everything that came out of Jeremy's mouth. What should have taken five minutes of registering turned into a half hour of him pushing his ideas on education and global warming onto me. His tone was extremely condescending as he dragged on and on about how MY institution of learning was a joke, and he proceded to tell me that he himself dropped out of high school and bragged of his "business skills". How did it relate to registering for my stay? I have yet to understand that. Also, Jeremy reminded us constantly that no one not registered to stay was allowed into Sugar Hill. There were notices posted all over our room reminding us of our "4th Ammendment rights" and how this inn was illegal in the state of New York and how authorities are wanting to get inside to investigate. What?! Sure, $7.50 for breakfast at a B&B is ridiculous, but I would have paid it, had I not known Jeremy was going to be there. I was extremely offended and irritated by his trap of forcing ideas onto helpless guests. He is definitely not someone I would like to see again, and because of that, and the lack of complementary breakfast that was promised, I WILL NOT RETURN to Sugar Hill Harlem Inn. Save yourselves some money, folks, and just go to the Comfort Inn on West 71st by Central Park. $100 a night with breakfast is a WAY better deal, and maybe then you won't have to listen to Jeremy. Plus, you can actually LEAVE your room after 8 PM. Regardless of what is posted on Sugar Hill's website, the neighborhood is extremely dangerous at night!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kelly R
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 19, 2012

friendly hosts, great rooms, good breakfast, interesting discussions, a lot of books and pictures, quiet ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Markus T
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband, 13 year old son and I stayed in this great building built in the early 1900's. Beautifully decorated rooms, very clean and a great feel for a neighborhood in New York. We stayed in the apartment with two bedrooms on the top floor in the Ella and Ali rooms. Breakfast was always a treat at the big antique farmhouse table as we never knew who we'd meet. Several different lovely French families with their children were guests when we were there and Jeremy made breakfast for all. It was very easy to take the subway everywhere... Central Park, Times Square, Statue of Liberty Cruises... We walked everywhere and Jeremy was very helpful, recommending a lovely close-by delicious Italian restaurant and an amazing supermarket, the Fairway with beautiful specialty foods and deli's. Reasonable prices for this area!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kathryn V
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Very satisfied. Nice building, nice staff, nice guests, nice neighborhood. This is a bargain for Manhattan with easy on-street parking and is close to subways. My son & I traveled from Colorado and we had a great experience all around. We look forward to doing it again the same way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wayne S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my one night stay in Harlem. My friend and I were in the city for a day to see a show at Columbia. The hotels were just way to expensive and far away from our destination. I came across Sugar Hill Harlem right here on Tripadvisor and was happy I did! It was a wonderful experience. Miss Teresa who works at the inn met us at the door of a lovely brownstone. She was such a sweetheart. She was helpful in every kind of way. The room was immaculate and I felt as though I was staying with an old friend. We were within walking distance from a Starbucks, Grocery store, and a mexican restaurant that was sooooo good and great prices for a college student Budget. I definitely will be back again for a longer time for a taste of Harlem in a neighborhood where I felt safe and at home!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends