“Perfect location for a busy trip”

Club Quarters Hotel, opposite Rockefeller Center
Ranked #283 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights over New Year (I have written a separate review about Bubba Gumps restaurant where we spent NYE) and were very impressed. We took a taxi from La Guardia which cost about US$45 but that includes a good tip as the driver was great and also being stuck in traffic as the hotel is (as you would expect) right next to the Rockefeller Centre and there were huge crowds there to see the tree and skating rink. The hotel arranged a car to take us to JFK when we left as it was a 4.30am start and that was US$65 plus tip.

The location is perfect, easy walking distance from the Top of the Rock, 5th Avenue, Broadway, Times Square and the south end of Central Park. We took a hop on hop off bus tour, picked up at Times Square, which took us to all the major sights in south Manhattan including the Statue of Liberty and Wall Street and also did the Uptown loop which took us the entire way round Central Park and through Harlem. US$49 each (valid for 48 hours) for the tickets and we could have done more trips but didn't have the time so good value.

The room was clean and had everything we needed for a nice, comfortable stay including free (and easy to connect to which was a rarity on our trip) wi fi, good coffee and a decent shower. There is also access to free drinking water and the hotel provide water bottles next to the water so you can take it to your room which was a really good idea.

Our room overlooked the skating rink at Rockefeller Plaza too which was a nice touch (25th floor – room 3). No real road noise, although there were taxi horns going all night but that's the hazard of staying in the centre of the city.

The staff were pleasant and helpful and unlike other places I've recently read about, didn't always have their hands out for a tip which was good. Makes you feel more like leaving one.

There is a bar/restaurant right next door called Johnny Utahs which at first glance looks like it may be a bit dodgy but I would highly recommend it, even for families – there's nothing in there to upset or offend kids and there were families in there. The food was excellent (the texas brisket is a must try), the staff friendly and helpful and the atmosphere relaxed. Plus the beer was good!

Both the bar and the hotel were a great place to escape to after a hectic day sightseeing and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,437)

Reviewed January 5, 2009

I stayed at the Rockefeller Center Hotel for one night (December 28th) with my mother and 9 year old daughter. The hotel was easy to find and in a perfect location for all of the activities I had planned.

Although we requested a room on a high floor so that my daughter could see the tree, we received a room on the 7th floor (which we did not dispute). The front desk staff was very helpful. offering us storage for our bags, helping us to check-in using the automatic kiosk, and calling a car service when it was time to go to the airport.

The room was nice, we had a studio, with tiled shower, and good sized bathroom. Our room also had a pull out couch, coffee maker, and flat panel TV.

We ate at the restaurant twice. The first time, we had appetizers and wine (on the heated outdoor deck) mid-afternoon. The next morning, we had the buffet breakfast ($11 for cold buffet and $16 for cold and hot- which I thought was reasonable, considering I paid $23 for a breakfast buffet at a similar hotel in Boston). From the deck, you are able to see an obstructed view of Rockefeller center and the side entrance to Radio City Music Hall.

On the day of our departure, we skated in Rockefeller center and had lunch at American Girl Place. The hotel was very close to both places.

I have stayed at several other hotels in New York (including the Marriott Marquis and Affinia Dumont), and although not as luxurious as some, it one offered the best combination of location and amenities. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank cllg012
Reviewed January 4, 2009

This place was amazing. First off the location was amazing, right by the Rockefeller tree and everything else was just a short walk away. My girlfriend and I did not use a Taxi at all. Everything was extremely close we either walked or took the Metro.

The service was great. Everything we requested was at our room within 2 minutes. The front-desk was extremely helpful and catered to any of our needs - with a smile.

The rooms were a little small but were equipped very nicely with a Samsung LCD TV and the beds were extremely comfortable. The rooms were also very clean.

We are already planning our next trip to the Big Apple and plan on staying here again. Great value and and amazing place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amrit56
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I will keep my review to the hotel itself and write a seperate review on the holiday.

We booked this hotel through ebookers and got a decent price, they are worth checking out. We never had any issues as I have before with Expedia or having to make sure our reservation was sent through from Expedia which was great.

I had previously read reviews, there aren't loads of reviews, like there are for other hotels, but all the ones there were seemed to give it a good solid thumbs up.

When we arrived we were early and our room was not ready so we handed in our cases and were told to come back in an hour. We headed off to explore for a little while until the room was ready. First thing that struck me was that the location was absolutely brilliant, in the middle of everything, just a short walk from Central Park, Theatre District and are on Rockefeller's doorstep and Radio City's. There were some good places to eat/drink nearby, and a handy bar called Johnny Utah's right next door, which if it takes your fancy, has a roadeo bull you can have a go on!

Back at the hotel the room was ready as assured and when we got to the room were pleasantly surprised. I have stayed in NY many times and am used to the shoe box rooms you can pay through the nose for so was very happy with our room which I felt was compact but absolutely fine and very modern and clean. There was a menu in the room which you could order from 24/7 and the hotel have it delivered to you (this was from outside restaurants). We should mention here that there is a diner called Big Daddy's Diner on Lexington downtown which will deliver 24 hours on Fridays and Saturdays, we ate in the Diner and the food was great so can highly recommend it.

There is a terrace bar on the 7th floor which is also a small restaurant and whilst we didn't eat there we had a drink. Like all hotel bars it was a tad on the pricey side but we expected that. The menu for breakfast/lunch/dinner looked decent enough and not too bad price wise but there are FAR cheaper options just around the corner. A good diner nearby was Appleby's which if you walk westward on 51st Street across an avenue on the corner there is Eileen's Stardust diner (DO NOT GO HERE - ABSOLUTE CRAP), bust a right at this corner and walk up this avenue and look to your left and you'll see it, good food, good price.

There is a fitness room which we didn't really look at but heard people say it was ok, nothing amazing but fine and they will even deliver fitness equipment to your room on request free which I thought was great.

We wanted a late check out and for $35 you could have the room til 3pm which suited us great so we did that. Check-in and out was an absolute breeze.

I loved this hotel, it was exactly what I needed, I was more than happy with their room service menu which I felt was better than most big hotels and I was absolutely chuffed that we found this place. If you are looking for a very clean, comfortable and modern place to stay and don't mind not having the big hotel facilities like swimming pools, big gyms and big bars and restaurants, and are happy with the relatively small bar/restaurant facilities (the bar was never really busy) and small workout room then you will absolutely feel like you've won the lottery here. Again the best part was the location, I would only stay here in future, that is a promise.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2008

The location of this hotel for a see the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center is exceptional. The room was nice; nothing exceptional. The lifts were a problem.....sometimes spent over 7 minutes waiting for one. My keycard got deactivated three times during a 2 night stay. If you don't want the cleaning staff to turn off your heat during the day you need to let the front desk know. The check in/out staff was courteous and professional. A great location for visiting the Saks light show, Rockefeller Center tree, and Grand Central light show.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank JTB9110
Reviewed December 9, 2008

My daughter and I always try to visit NY around the holidays to take in the sites and visit the holiday fairs going on. This year the hotel prices were pretty high so we decided to try the Club Quarters using friends of a business associate. We were pleasantly surprised at the location - directly across from the tree in Rockefeller Center and of course half block from all the great shops on 5th Ave.

The room (1103) was small - but my daughter and I believe that we have stayed in smaller and as it was only for the one night it was not an issue. The bed was small and I know that I had asked for two beds but when I called the desk I was told that was never a guarantee and they supplied a roll-a-way. Not exactly what I had envisioned but we went with it - no alternative really. The bathroom was small - no bathtub - but what more do you need besides the basic necessities.

We did not use, but did go to see the Terrace Club and it is a beautiful place with comfortable chairs around a fireplace, flat screen TV, a beautiful bar and tables on an outdoor enclosed patio for year round dining. We were there on a Sunday and everything closed early - 10 PM - and we were still out shopping so we missed the club.

The hotel does have a great deal - they have about 5 restaurants with different foods that deliver for a nominal charge of 2.50. We returned to the hotel at 11 - contacted the deli - ordered food and it was delivered within the 30 minute time frame. This was a definite perk in our book - and really NOT expensive,delivered hot and very good.

Also the fitness room was adequate and the free bottled water on the floors is also a great perk.

I don't know how the rooms would measure up in other cities if they are the same size as this one but for New York - and what we have seen at other chain hotels - this was comfortable, clean, great location and easy check in and check out (all computerized)

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed December 4, 2008

I stayed at the Club Quarters Hotel for 4 nights from the 27th November with my partner. We both thought the hotel was great, it was in the perfect position, just a 10 minute walk from Central Park and a 5 minute walk to Times Square. The receptionists were very helpfull, always suggesting somehwere new to go and they also made restaurant reservations for us.
I'd read some of the other reviews about the rooms but I have to say ours was spacious with plently of cupboard space, the bathroom was clean and had everything that we needed (could of done with a dust though!!).
If we were to visit New York again we'd definately stay here, compared to some of the other places i'd stayed in the city this was 100 times better!
If you see reception they will also provide you with discount ickets to some of the major attractions.

Stayed: November 2008