“A pleasant surprise..sanctuary in the big city”
Review of Ivy Terrace

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ivy Terrace
Ranked #6 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Boylston, Massachusetts
“A pleasant surprise..sanctuary in the big city”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I'm actually writing this review with some reluctance for a fear that the next time I visit the city there will be no room at the inn.

The Ivy Terrace is a wonderful place. I stayed in the Greenwich room, but I actually had an opportunity to see all the rooms during my stay. They are all beautiful in their own unique ways. My bed was extremely comfortable and I had plenty of pillows. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the kitchen was stocked - there were containers of cereal, lots of different kinds of tea, coffee and in the refrigerator, eggs, milk, juice, English Muffins, and bagels. The coffee maker and toaster (with slots wide enough to handle the bagels too) worked flawlessly.

The terrace outside the Ivy Suite was a beautiful perch over 58th street and the hidden patio outside the Rose Room offers a more private area outside.

I'm 6'3" tall and often hotel showers are a royal pain - not at the Ivy Terrace! I was able to stand tall and shampoo my hair because the shower head is on an adjustable arm giving me plenty of headroom. YES!

Are there any downsides? Some minor. There is no elevator and the stairway is a bit narrow - I had a lot of equipment with me and it was a bit cumbersome getting it all to the room. If one travels light, this is not a problem.

For the three nights I stayed at the Ivy Terrace it really felt like my own pie de terre. I that says something. I've never stayed at any other hotel or B&B that had that vibe.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank OnSiteStudios

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Blue Springs
Reviewed October 5, 2010

The Ivy Terrace was an excellent B&B. The staff was extremely helpful with subway directions, restaurant recommendations and city attractions. My wife and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary and the Ivy Terrace was a perfect retreat from the busy city. We are anxious to get back to NYC and we will definitely stay at the Ivy Terrace again. The Zen room requires some stair climbing. Actually there are 46 steps to the room, but it is well worth it. The room was spacious and quiet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed September 30, 2010

So glad we stayed at the Victoria Suite in the Ivy Terrace. Location is excellent, unbeatable. Jeff was oh so nice and yes the fridge was full of yummy things and you can cook your own meal should you choose to do so.
The place is full of small details, thoughtful details that make you realise there was somebody thinking of how to help you have a wonderful time in NY. Brochures on the night table, umbrellas at the door, plug adapters for our appliances, even a blackberry liqueur that was really appreciated every evening. The amenities in the bathroom like those in a 5 stars hotel, amazing. We did not have the luck to meet Vinessa but Jeff was always so helpful.
For us it's a no brainer, when we return to NY, we'll go to the Ivy Terrace. Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndieBuenosAires
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Absolutely FANTASTIC! We stayed in the Zen Room and it was better than I could have asked for! The room was stocked with breakfast foods that ended up doubling as late night snacks for us, and the room was cozy and quiet and a perfect get away for the weekend. The whole place is everything I love about NYC, eclectic, imaginative, and welcoming. It was right around the corner from some of my favorite places to visit when I'm in town and the subway to get to everywhere else. The bars just outside were great for a "wrap up to the evening" and I just felt really at home in our room. I would TOTALLY recommend this place to anyone looking to visit NYC. None of the pretentious airs or overdone tourism. I felt like I was "home" at the end of the night, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Manhattan after staying here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Superb stay at The Zen Room, Ivy Terrace. The room is located at the back of the building on the top floor, and was lovely, quiet and cool. It can be a bit of a hike up the stairs, but well worth it to get to your own self contained apartment in the centre of bustling and vibrant NYC. Wonderful b/fast items are well stocked in the fridge and kitchen (bagels, cream cheese, eggs, muffins, yoghurt, milk, OJ, cereals, tea, etc), and restocked by the lovely hosts, Jeff & Vinessa. Kitchen provides appliances etc for your own cooking if you wish.
Well located uptown, it's just one block away to subway. Felt very safe in the area.
I really appreciated the concept of this B&B. Little touches were awesome - umbrellas, guest books. Room felt so homely, terrific alternate to a city hotel. Initially I thought the price was on the high side, however went searching for something less and simply couldn't find anything for the time I was going (mid Sept). And with b/fast included, it was actually quite good value. Very happy with the stay and happily recommend for anyone staying in the Big Apple. Jeff & Vinessa go out of their way to ensure you have the best stay possible.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Waitsfield, Vermont
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We love B&B's. To get one in Manhattan is a bonus. To get a great room, great terrace and great location, all the better. The room was clean and very accessible. The food provided plentiful. We really enjoyed our stay and it will be a mainstay of ours for years to come. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We chose the Ivy Terrace as our 'home away from home' in celebration of an 80th Birthday! We rented the entire place and completely enjoyed the beautifully decorated rooms, terrace, and garden patio. It was especially nice to have the breakfast foods and kitchen area. The location is in close proximity to Central Park, great shopping, and fine restaurants. We especially appreciated the thoughtful touches in honor of our birthday celebration!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
wkdwtch, Owner at Ivy Terrace, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Ivy Terrace B&B with other travelers. We were honored that you chose Ivy Terrace to celebrate the 80th birthday of your special family member
" G " It was exciting to have your family take all of our rooms! We know how tough it is to choose a place for an important gathering, especially in New York. Glad we didn't disappoint.
Many of our guests become like family because we see them year after year. We hope to see you, and maybe even the B'day girl again soon !