“A return visit to Ivy Terrace - fantastic home-away-from-home in NYC”
Review of Ivy Terrace

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ivy Terrace
Ranked #6 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Charleston, South Carolina
“A return visit to Ivy Terrace - fantastic home-away-from-home in NYC”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This was my second stay at the Ivy Terrace and again it did not disappoint! I stayed in the Rose Room, which was very spacious and had a lovely terrace out back. It was nice having some fresh food available in the fridge for breakfast. I love being so close to Central Park - makes the early morning jog very convenient. Thanks for the iPod docking station too. After having an iPod Nano for many months, this was the first time I used a docking station - it was great listening to my podcasts on the clock radio. This is the way to stay in NYC.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I found the Ivy Terrace on Trip Advisor almost a year ago. It looked and sounded perfect for our holiday and the reviews were great. I wasn't sure it would live up to my expectations but it was fantastic. Its location to Central Park, shopping, the Lexington subway is 1 block up, restaurants, everything was either a quick subway ride away or a nice walk. Jeff and Vinessa were always quick to respond to questions and booking with them was easy and flawless. The room provided everything that was needed and the breakfast food was great. Having a fridge, stove and microwave meant that we could reheat our leftovers or cook up some eggs (provided) for breakfast.

Ivy Terrace is close enough to Time Square (15 min walk) but far enough away that you feel like a local. Once you get away from the bustling of Time Square, it is relaxing to just walk around and see the little markets, restaurants etc.

We stayed in the Zen Room which was beautiful and quiet at the back of the B&B. We even went up to the roof and sat and it was so quiet at night. We were able to see the Victoria room, I think (also on the 3rd floor) and it was really nice too. All rooms have lots of space to unpack your things and to move around. The 3rd floor is up 3 narrow flights of stairs so it you can't carry all of your purchases or suitcases, stick to the first or second floors. We originally wanted to stay in the Ivy room with the Terrace overlooking 58th but decided for a quieter room, and I loved the look of the Zen Room. Vinessa let us have a look at The Ivy room as we were leaving and she was cleaning. I would like to stay in it the next time. I know it may be a bit noisier but I would have loved sitting on the terrace watching the people. The nights were so beautiful. We were never back before midnight so I don't think the noise would have been a problem.

My Hubby and I were in New York as a 40th bday present to ourselves and we took in all of the sights. I would highly recommend the "FoodonFoot" tours with Cory and "Scott's Pizza tour" both have great reviews on Tripadvisor. We did the red bus to get a sense of where everything was and then went back via the subway to the places we wanted to see longer. We really should have spent a good half day at the Met, or more if you have time. We had three hours and barely scratched the surface. I liked it the best over MOMA and the Museum of Natural History.

We were lucky enough to apply for and get tickets to Letterman, which was fun and we saw Wicked. You cannot get discounted tickets for Wicked there so you have to book before you go. It was really amazing. We went to Grays Papaya, West side of Central Park so it wasn't busy and the red bus goes right by it on the way to the Dakota Apartments. We also went to the Soup Man on the corner of 8th and 55th and had his delicious soup. If you are looking for great eats just off of Time Square walk up 9th ave from 42 and it is jam packed with terrific food of all varieties. Overall it was a spectacular trip. We were there for 7 days and it was perfect. By the end we felt as if the Ivy Terrace was our home and that we could get around anywhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank freon
wkdwtch, Owner at Ivy Terrace, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review! We are aware how daunting it is to choose a place for your vacation and in New York it is even harder. I am so glad you had the chance to experience the quiet of the Zen Room, but I am also sure you will love Ivy Suite when you return. Jeff and I do our best to make sure that we offer privacy for our guests, but at the same time anticipate what they may need for a comfy stay. Happy Happy birthday to both of you and we are honored to be your home in New York... 'till next time,
Vinessa
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Ivy Terrace is very well located, midtown manhattan. The apartment offers all you need for a pleasant stay in NY, including a well equiped kitchen. The owners are extremely mindful and ready to help. I enjoyed very much NY and part of that was due to the place I stayed!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We are a family of two adults and two teenagers, and we loved Ivy Terrace for these reasons:

Ivy Terrace has a private entrance that opens by touching a code into a key pad. Open the door and walk up to your room. No elevator to wait for. No children in bathing suits, running up and down the hall screaming. Pure privacy.

Our room had a four-poster bed with a canopy, and a futon where the girls slept. We were in the Rose Room on the back of the building, so it was absolutely quiet for sleeping.

We had our own kitchenette with a full refrigerator, a microwave, and lots of cabinets and drawers that were fully stocked with glasses, bowls, plates, flatware and other necessities. The fridge was always stocked with yogurt, bagels, and butter so we didn't have to go out for breakfast. And we didn't have to sit with other b&b people. I know lots of people like to socialize with other b&b people at breakfast -- not us. We're not there to make new friends.

The Rose Room has tall windows looking out onto a private deck with a table, chairs, a sun umbrella and summer plants. That was our view, and it sure beat the hell out of looking into an air shaft. We would open a window and walk out onto the deck at night, and it was just wonderful.

Our air conditioning was great, and an excellent ceiling fan helped circulate the air. The ceiling was very high, which also helped.

For dinner, we walked downstairs, opened our "private" door and walked to Nino's 208 to the left. And to the Moonstruck Diner on the right. Below us and all around us were upscale Indian restaurants that seemed very popular. Also on East 58th, just a few doors down, is a gay "gentlemen's club" that appeared to cater to older men in limos and very expensive clothes. Just around the corner is a Dunkin Donuts and down the block is a Container Store and a Duane Reed drug store which was great for stocking up on milk, cookies, maps, sun block and Coke.

Although there were other rooms above us in the Ivy Terrace, we never heard a peep from the other guests and we never saw them. The setup offers complete privacy and the convenience of being in mid town.

Speaking of mid town, the Ivy Terrace is one block from the Queensborough Bridge. An easy trip to and from LaGuardia.

We loved every minute of our stay, and we hope to return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I travelled with my parents, husband and brother on a trip to NYC and, having left it too late to book an apartment, was faced with a limited number of options for a family group of 5. We ended up taking two rooms, the Waverley (3 people, 2 in queen bed and one on fold out sofa), and the Greenwich (2 people in a queen bed) on the second floor of Ivy Terrace. I was absolutely delighted with our choice. It was near perfect.

The rooms were huge, very clean and well located in midtown, close to a subway stop. Decoration perhaps not to everyones taste... a little old-fashioned, maybe, but don't let that put you off! The place had charm and character and was a wonderful oasis to come back to after a long, hot day sightseeing. Without a doubt the stars were the staff, particularly Jeff, who were without exception welcoming and approachable. Nothing was too much trouble.

My only quibble, the Greenwich room faces 58th street, which is busy, and it can be a little loud. It calms down at night though, and my parents reported no real trouble sleeping.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed at this B&B for 3 nights last Christmas. The standard was brilliant; the interior design was elegant (we stayed in the Grenwich room) and the facilities were spot on. The location was perfect, around the corner from Bloomingdales (2 minute walk), right by the subway, walking distance to central park, with a great little diner 10 feet away. The fridge was stocked with everything you could need with a cute little kitchenette convenience.
We will be returning to this B&B next year - it was perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buzzbazz
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 1, 2010

ivy terrace was recommended to us as a good and cheap alternative to hotels, esp. for families.we really were inspired, when we saw this place, a tiny little house among skyscrapers, a lovely, spacious room with own kitchen (The fridge was filled up with juice, toast, etc.), clean, nice interiors- better than any hotel room, I'v ever seen. Free W-Lan, near to metro station, good restaurants and sights nearby,...
We will come again!