“Wow!”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 14,122 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A, C, E at 14th Street. L at 8th Ave.
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Exceptionally beautiful from an architectural standpoint. Did the tasting menu and it was fantastic. Expensive, but fantastic. Our waiter was excellent, very knowledgable -- he changed our minds on several items and hit a home run with every one. Make sure you check out the restrooms, they are amazing. We will definitely go here again on our next visit to NYC.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Our meal was excellent, it is just a bit pricey. We tried a variety of things, and we really liked everything.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

What can I say that hasn't been said? The food was excellent. My wife and I loved everything we ordered. But I must say that my absolute favorite dish was the scallop carpaccio. It came with a light and airy dashi foam that, when I tasted it, was like trying to remember pieces of a fading dream. See: It was so good it's making me wax poetic! We also got the Chef's Choice sushi combination and my wife was in fish heaven. She even liked the spicy tuna roll, that American invention that normally scandalizes her traditional Japanese sensibilities. She also loved the special, which was duck prepared three different ways. We were very full by the end of dinner, but couldn't resist trying the Matcha Tiramisu. If you like the taste of matcha green tea, you have to try this dessert!

In addition to the impeccable food, I must add that the service was attentive but not overbearing. The only negative thing about the evening was that we were placed into a tiny area near the door. The decor there was not as modern or nice as the main dining area. Next time, we will ask to be seated elsewhere.

All in all, I would say that, yes, Morimoto is expensive, but it is definitely worth the money. It was the perfect place to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. It was also nice to pop into Chelsea Market next door to walk off some of those calories from dinner.

2  Thank itstuan
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The place is great. Just ask not to be seated near the emergency exit. Food is not the best in town but service is great and their litchi cocktail is the best. Don't leave without visiting the downstairs toilets.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is not an inexpensive restaurant. The food can be spectacular or odd. We had the tasting menu ($135/pp), and while some dishes were incredible, others were just weird and unpleasant tasting. But that's a personal matter. Also, calling a shot glass with a dab of sorbet a "course" is absurd. The cold, minimalist atmosphere is interesting, but the tables are jammed in like sardines. A table cloth might have been nice, but there was none.

What is inexcusable was that the service staff, while young, very pleasant and enthusiastic, really didn't know how to provide excellent service. We had to beg to get our water glasses filled. They kept trying to remove plates as people were eating, or left spent plates sitting for too long. The waiter serving the next table put his butt into my food a few times, and another put a tray in my face, close enough to touch me.

If they want to charge like a fine restaurant, then they need to learn how to serve like a fine restaurant. This was for out-of-towners who don't know what good service means and will be impressed because of Morimoto's celebrity. At a third the price, it would have been an interesting dinner. At the prices charged, I expect excellence. It was not.

5  Thank StoicTraveler