“Iron Chef? Expected exotic Japanese.”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A, C, E at 14th Street. L at 8th Ave.
australia
“Iron Chef? Expected exotic Japanese.”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I was expecting exotic Japanese dishes as I'm a fond viewer of the Iron Chef. Instead we got traditional Japanese at a high price. I wouldn't mind paying the high price if they had some of those wonderful dishes they produce on the show. So for me it was a little disappointing. Anyway, we did enjoy what was on offer.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
“Great but not the best”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was expecting something beyond japanese cuisine since I heard so many good reviews, but it was not. It was just like any other average japanese restaurant but overpriced, indeed I realized that when next couple days I visited another Japanese restaurant by Union Square that was fresher, better and cheaper,

• Visited September 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Exquisite Dining Experience”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We wrapped up our NYC trip at Morimoto and it was fantastic! Lovely ambiance, the hostess were attentive and has given excellent recommendations. My husband ordered me a Morimoto Martini which wasn't to my liking and they have taken that off our bill. Apart from that we had the Toro tartare (which is a very interesting dish), Carpaccio, tempura (the best tempura we had ever), duck duck duck (melts in your mouth) and the ishi yaki bop (yummm) which were presented in quite an artistic way and tasted divine. Definitely not your ordinary Japanese restaurant once you're inside as it's got very modern furnishings and the area is huge (with 2 levels I think). Form the outside it has that traditional curtain like just in every traditional Japanese restaurant. We will definitely go back.

London
“Excellent sushi, great cocktails, slightly pricey”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I went to Morimoto in November and thought it was excellent. Some of the best sushi I've tasted especially the lobster fritters. The cocktails were lovely, the atmosphere was great and the service was very good. I especially liked the toilets! My only comment would be that it was a little pricey but the quality was great.

Miami, Florida
“Good, different, a bit over priced”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Morimoto has a slightly different menu from your usual Japanese restaurant. Presentation of food is fancier. The restaurant itself is modern and elegant, and the service very good. My husband enjoyed the meal as well as the ambiance. Although I felt it is a bit over priced, I would still recommend Morimoto.