“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A, C, E at 14th Street. L at 8th Ave.
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been to Morimoto several times. After this last visit, I decided to write a review. So, I had to change my reservation time and the service really surprised me. I had to opt for a less than optimal time to take some out of town friends to dinner, but thankfully the uber nice reservationist called me back to let me know there was a cancelation of my preferred seating; which fit right into my schedule. That is great customer service!!!! It is a beautiful place to take friends who appreciate a well designed space. They were impressed! My favorite appetizers are: Spicy Crab; Oysters; Tuna Pizza; Pork Belly ( i could eat this forever) and Shrimp. Fresh and flavors are always spectacular. Sashimi is great-Uni is a bit in the tiny side, but it's not their fault for the size of the sea urchin available-it was super FRESH though. Service is very friendly and well mannered. We had a few laughs with him and my lady friends really appreciated him...I never tried it, but they said the White flower cocktail (I can't remember the name) was "yummy" they had a few... I tried to go outside of my reg drink and tried this really spicy, clear cocktail on recommendation-it knocked my socks off! SPICY HOTT, but good and went well with my sashimi. Presentation of the food is always very pleasing and my Duck Duck Duck was of course right on. Love it. The portions are just right. All 3 of my guests thoroughly enjoyed their entrees. It isn't a quiet place, but the vibe is perfect for people who want to have a good time laughing & speaking without having to whisper, because it has an upbeat place with energy.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank henrynycnj

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
“Best salmon sashimi for now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Came here dinner for 2. I loved the decor of the restaurant as you walk in. The bathroom was really interesting as well. It gives you the illusion that it's a long lit hallway. The toilets are quite fancy too, I didn't play with all the buttons.

Anyways, onto the food.

Appetizer:
Oyster foie gras
- loved it. The duck was the only part that was cooked, rest of the dish was raw but it felt like all the ingredients were cooked. It comes on a hot plate. Don't eat the white squares at the bottom of the plate, it's SALT!! only for decoration =P Oyster and uni helped cut the foie gras and the teriyaki sauce gave the dish more sweetness. Usually the uni is sweet but not sweet enough for this dish. I would definitely recommend this dish. I didn't taste any graininess or dirt in the uni or oyster.

Main course:
Seafood 'toban yaki' and Surf (yellowtail) & Turf (wagyu filet)
- I enjoyed the Surf & Turf. Definitely better than the toban yaki in my opinion. One huge plus is that you can eat the meat and fish together in one bite. Of course you'll have to cut it into smaller pieces yourself, but the flavors complement each other. In my opinion, I thought the meat was too salty, but if you eat it with the fish, it balances it out and adds seasoning to the fish. The herbed potatoes was awesome. They were so small and cute. Also had a little sweetness to the sauce and I couldn't get enough of it. Overall, definitely a filling dish.

- As for the toban yaki, all the seafood ingredients were fresh but if you've never had excellent seafood ingredients, you wouldn't be able to tell because of the way the dish was prepared. I asked the waitress how the lobster was prepared, she said it was steamed. I have a feeling it was steamed and then something else was done to it because when you taste the lobster, it's very soft, not crunchy. I've steamed lobster at home before and the meat doesn't turn out the way this restaurant made it. The sauce is excellent, gives you a balance of aroma and taste of the sea. The dish is not salty at all. Not a single piece of sand or graininess. Another thing to mention is that I felt the ingredients were overcooked probably because it was sitting in the soup bath. They probably messed up the timing.

Sashimi:
oh-toro = fatty tuna
- it was really good but I definitely preferred the salmon.
- not much of a tuna taste, which I think is what it's supposed to be and the fattiness gave it a more marbled texture.

salmon
- best piece of salmon I've ever had in NYC so far. I could taste the layer of meat, fat, meat, fat, etc. I mean, it was an excellent balance and it couldn't be more fresh. Superb way of letting the ingredient speak for itself. Just eat it raw!

wagyu beef
- don't waste your money on it. I have a feeling they blowtorched the meat a little bit before giving it to you. I was hoping for more black and blue. Disappointed in the dish. It was definitely marbly tender piece of meat but it wasn't impressive.

This place has the freshest ingredients in my opinion.
Staff was very attentive to our water level.
I wish the booths for 2 people had more space in between them. When you squeeze in and out, your butt is practically in the other persons' face!

I don't usually give restaurants 5 stars but I am giving it to this place mainly for their salmon sashimi but also for their Surf & Turf (to be able to eat both in one bite and have it complement each other). Until I find better salmon, this will remain at 5 stars.

• Visited January 2013
Ibiza, Spain
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Went there with my girlfriend after it was recommended and was blown away! i was expecting an expensive dinner but to my surprise everything was more than competitively priced. We loved everything on the menu (except the gyoza, you can def skip them), so much that we ordered more. both the table to the right and left of us (which might of been slightly to closely placed as you can hear their every word) ordered desserts which looked (and what we heard) were amazing!
Great sake and wine list, not jumping into the $500 bottle straight away but a nice variety of 'common people' wines.
Our waiter (Michael i believe) was really friendly.

all around, really buzzing and fun place to go, will def go back!

• Visited April 2013
Ghent, Belgium
“Drown in mayonaise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

The food is appealing and the combinations in the menus are innovative. It is all very much drown in mayonaise or sauces though. The place is also incredibly noisy, difficult to have a conversation, which is disappointing.

Visited May 2013
Milan, Italy
“Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I can only say this... As a true foodie, I sometimes dream of the Morimoto food. Specially the Spicy crab and the special Tuna Pizza/cracker which I am nuts about.

Staff is not friendly or kind most of the times, unless you're lucky to catch them in the right mood. But the rest makes up for it!

• Visited June 2012