“Overrated!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A, C, E at 14th Street. L at 8th Ave.
McAllen
“Overrated!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a Morimoto fan, and have always admired his food and creativity on television. Planned a trip to the big apple with my wife and we took a couple of weeks to decide what restaurant we would eat at on Saturday night, the last night of our weekend getaway. We finally decided on Morimoto's restaurant because we both have always wanted to try his food. Made a reservation a couple of weeks in advance, and we arrived promptly to the restaraunt, only to shuffled downstairs to the bar. Over the next hour, various hostesses went downstairs looking for parties with reservations and were clearly intimidated to actually talk with the guests, but would rather talk to the head bartender to try and determine if he knew who was who. After an hour wait we were taken to our table, which might have well been a cafeteria style bench table. The tables are very, and I do mean very, close together, which makes it uncomfortable to have a nice meal, which I think should be expected at the prices they are charging. The food was good, sashimi was very fresh and our entres were good, but certainly not at the level I was expecting. Have definitely had far better fusion meals in Austin, TX for example. Overall, would say that Morimoto's is overrated. The service needs significant improvement and one would expect much higher quality service for the fine dining prices Morimoto's is charging. Food was tasty but does not overcome that extremely bad service. And, if you expect to see your waitress, good luck.

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Funky venue. Food and service well executed. Full price but not shocking.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Cool modern design inside. The sushi and sashimi did not disappoint. Service was good. Prices were what you'd expect.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
West Orange, New Jersey
“Iron chef does it again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and visited morimoto a while ago and never wrote a review. I felt like it was about time to share one of the best dinners of life . I booked reservations for the omakase table which seats about 8 very lucky guests.We were treated to a culinary orgasmic expierence of about 13 courses one more delectible the the next. Each chef presented and explained each dish as it was served. They not only told you about the ingredients and where they were from but also the proper way to eat them, The saki was served ice cold the way a good saki should be. Low and behold standing behind was the Master himself Morimoto keeping a watchful eye on every course served, The expierence was a treat to all of our senses.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank bobandcaroleatnj
“Comforting good food and drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Was able to get reservation same day. Located next to Chelsea Market. Atmosphere is very contemporary. Enjoyed some of the simplier dishes. Ramen noodle soup, simple but such a tasty chicken noodle soup. Beef curry, was flavored well. Buri Bop, a dish cooked at your table in a hot stone bowl with yellow tail and rice, was very good. Spicy tuna roll was fresh and light. The White Lily drink could be a dessert, it was so good.
We also tried the apple bread pudding with brown butter ice cream, nothing amazing about it. Reservations are needed.

1 Thank MaryQ1972
Rockledge, Florida
“And I don't Like Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Let me start by saying I don't eat fish, maybe very rarely, maybe a can of tuna, and I don't do uncooked sushi. I don't do oysters. We just had the Omikase, a 7 course tasting menu. First was tuna tartar, with 7 dips (sour cream, avocado, wasabi, seaweed paste,etc). VERY VERY good. Then sashimi, and I LOVED it. Then a anchovie dip????? with vegetables and meats to dip. Could have licked the bowl. Next the oyster. I used to hate oysters. Mmmmmmmmmmm good.
Next came 5 pieces of sushi. If you could guarantee everyone's tasted like that I would eat it more often. Then the surf and turf, wagyu beef and lobster. Just shoot me now, I am already in heaven. And the mango soup dessert. This man is truly a master of mixing flavors.

• Visited March 2013