“Del Posto Delivers Perfection”
Review of Del Posto

Del Posto
Reserve with OpenTable
Del Posto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 14,593 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 10th Avenue and 16th Street
Transit: 14th Street & 8th Avenue.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I had a simply marvelous experience for a special birthday dinner this past weekend made all the more so by the Del Posto staff. The room is beautiful as others have said. I'm always a bit leery about celebrity restaurants both as to chefs and clientele (the paper Sunday said Jerry Seinfeld is a regular) particularly in NYC. I'm always afraid visitors will be treated as one-time tourists rushed through for an early or late seating. Instead we received efficient, professional and understanding service from the day we phoned 30 days ahead for a prime time table through the printed menus and cookies to take with us. Yes, this is fine dining so the service is by professional waiters as it should be, but they and the rest of the staff were engaging if you engaged them. The lower noise level allowed for conversation but the service and atmosphere weren't stuffy or snooty. We had the five course menu, the other choice is eight courses but the table next to us confirmed the portions were large. We splurged on the wine pairings which complemented our choices nicely. We also splurged on the seasonal truffle pasta dish which was outstanding. My veal chop was one of the best ever though my wife's pork was just a bit of a letdown by comparison. Yes it is expensive but worth every penny. They warmly accommodated our seating request for a table where we could sit next to each other given the special birthday occasion. Del Posto has earned the reputation it holds as one of the best restaurants in NYC and in the country for this type of fine Italian dining with a creative flair. We look forward to returning on a future trip to NYC.

2  Thank JayEdward
Write a ReviewReviews (1,485)

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Sorry to be negative, but this restaurant is highly over-rated.
The physical space is terrific and the décor very well done. Location is in the grittier part of the Meat Packing District (10th Ave at 16th St), far from being a gentrified area.
The tip off was when I was able to get a reservation just a week before. Requested 7PM and they could only do 6:15. Arrived and were seated at 6:30. Service was almost painfully slow and somewhat obsequious.
The tasting menu of 5 courses was nothing special: appetizer, two pasta dishes, main course and dessert. My wife's veal chop was tough and a bit stringy. My duck breast was very good.
Dinner was not finished until 10PM!! 3 and 1/2 Hours!!
I think the locale and space are more conducive to a casual dining experience.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Restaurant is a special event destination for anyone with a desire for excellent food and great service. The staff was very accomodating to changes in the menu and we will definitely return.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

If you're looking for a "Big" restaurant in NYK, then go to Del Posto. The dining room is large and has two levels; nicely decorated and tables are well spaced.

The service is a bit much for my taste; our waiter was super formal and it just felt like they were trying to be something more than they actually were. That said, the service was excellent, had nothing to improve there other than the overall "feel" of their service. Too stuffy.

The food for the first two courses was excellent. However, they should have served one less pasta dish and the main course was way too large. Not sure who they are trying to impress with all this food, but it really was way overboard. Should have been more restrained for this level of a restaurant, imo.

If you want a big ny restuarant experience, this may be the place. But for me, this restaurant proved the point that I love going to places like Gramercy Tavern where the food is better, the service about the same but the restaurant feels smaller and more approachable...less of a concept restaurant.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Excellent place, food and service was exceptional, good ambiance, well recommended, booking essential as it get very busy for good reason.