“Good value for the money”
Review of Hudson River Hotel

Hudson River Hotel
Ranked #376 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Elgin, Illinois
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed January 7, 2006

This hotel, while a bit off the beaten path, was very basic but also very clean. Continental breakfast was nothing special but a nice bonus, and they do keep the area open all day so coffee and juices are free all the time. Only four rooms per floor, which keeps the hotel rather quiet. The rooms are small but perfectly serviceable and adequate for those who want clean, basic accommodations in Manhattan without paying an arm and a leg. Amici 36 two blocks east is a fantastic place for a reasonable lunch!

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank musicalarchitect75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2005

We stayed for two nights in the busiest period just before New Year, and I booked this hotel because there was nothing else available at reasonable cost. I'm glad that I read previous trip advisor reviews, which meant that I didn't have high expectations.
First, the good - the hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel looks shabby inside and out but the public areas are actually very clean. The king size bed in our room was very comfortable and again the room and bathroom were very clean. The serve yourself breakfast offers a good choice and as much as you want to eat, and similarly the free hot drinks machine available for guests at all times is a welcome facility. Amici 26 on the corner of 36th and 8th is a real find - hot and cold buffet food, homely soups and all sorts of snacks and pastries that you can eat in or take back to the hotel 5 minutes walk away.
The less good - the feel of the hotel is more like a hostel. You get used to it quickly but it is a utility experience. The room heater (not working initially but quickly fixed by the maintenance man) pushes out tepid air rather noisily. Similarly the hot water for the bath and shower was too cool for my liking on max although the sink was fine.The location is not bad - a bit distant from the main drag particularly in pouring rain but subways and buses are close by if needed.
The bad - definitely the room size, which was tiny by any city's standards. There was nowhere to put our two fairly large cases (we had been travelling in the US previously) and to use the in-room coffee machine provided we would have had to move the wardrobe to get to the power point. We didn't bother and just got drinks from the lobby. We paid maximun price for our two nights ($400 with taxes etc) and this felt overpriced given the very basic nature of the hotel.
A two night stay was okay given that we were out most of the time - but I wouldn't have wanted to stay any longer in such a confined space.

Stayed December 2005
9 Thank seelybee

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2005

A co-worker and I stayed at the Comfort Inn for a night during our weekend in NYC (11/13). After reading various reviews of different places I was very nervous as to what to expect. This hotel worked well for us. It was very clean; this is what concerned me the most. I did not see 1 bug of any sort. The bathroom was also very clean, as well as bedding, towels (yes there were plenty for 2 girls), the floor, etc. The room was ready without any problems, all items in the room worked. A few things I have seen mentioned in previous reviews: Yes there is not much of a view, but I did not pick this hotel for the view, I picked it as a place to rest after sightseeing. Yes it is a little off the beaten path, but not once did I fear for our safety and not once did anyone bother us (we walked at night and day; and also took cabs to and from). What the location did offer was a quiet sleeping environment; forgot I was in the city. It did get a little noisy around 6:30am (we were by the elevators) could have been the cleaning people, late night partiers or early risers; whichever it was, it was not untolerable. We slept in and missed the continental breakfast; encountered no problems with staff. This place worked well as a nice, very clean and affordable (by NYC standards) resting spot.

4 Thank PoohNP
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed October 23, 2005

We had checked a number of hotel reviews before we settled on this particular Comfort Inn. The outside of the hotel is a bit ominous, but overall the hotel does the job. The hotels rooms were exceptionally clean and a good size. The only disadvantage is that there is only one plug socket in the room and it is in the bathroom. The rooms are cleaned thoroughly each day. We had been advised about the breakfast, and I have to say, it was excellent. A wide range of fresh food, doughnuts, bagels, muffins and fruit, and there was plenty of it. The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is situated in a bleak street, but it is only a few blocks away from Macys etc and nearby shops. Overall, if you know what to expect, I would recommend this hotel and we would certainly stay again as it is reasonably priced and because you spend most of the day out and about it does the job.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank CosmicCat
Downey, CA
Reviewed September 25, 2005

For the price we paid, it was a good deal. Rooms were very clean, area was quiet and walking distance to Times Square and Fashion Way. Subway was close by and convinient. I have to say when we first arrived we were skeptical because the area was questionable and staff was rude. The area appeared to be bad but after the second night we totally felt comfy walking around an getting to know the area. I went with 2 other girls and we would walk to the pizza stand 2 blocks up with no trouble. BTW, Halal Pizza is the best @ 3am after clubbing! Anyhoo, the only thing I would say needs to improve is the staff. They did not offer us help w/the luggage and when we inquired about someone being able to help us with the luggage they looked @ us like we were nuts. We had to use the luggage cart and haul it up and down ourselves. The night staff was far more helpful, the gentleman who worked the night shift was so sweet and worth going back to stay. The good overrides the bad. The hotel had wireless access, clean rooms, continental breakfast, and quiet location. Rooms are a bit small as expected for NY, wouldnt recommend the room for more than 3 people.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank kharm
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 19, 2005

For the price and the city it's excellent. Out of the way area makes it quiet. Rooms were immaculate and comfortable. Free breakfasts too if you actually get up that early. Staff was uniformly professional. friendly, courteous and helpful whenever needed. Thus the impressions of a middle-aged single male. The location is spartan in terms of action or entertainment which is perfect for me but might not be what you'd be looking for if you are with kids you want to dazzle. I stayed there almost 2 weeks and it actually grew on me. Modest, no glitz, clean as can be, midtown around the garment district and a hell's kitchen that is no more....between Dyer and 10th...javitz visible......walk down a few steps to the little lobby........taxis everywhere because one of the places they
come from is a block away...walking distance to theatre district and not much farther to soho.......absolutely quiet and you'll get a good night's sleep...what it doesn't offer in terms of being in the thick of it is a definate plus. A few years earlier in town I stayed at a nice room at the Plaza before it started going condo and I definately know about more fully featured places. And without reservation I tell you I had more fun (and saved more) this trip staying at the Comfort Inn on 36th. Also it made me feel closer to the city...going to the drugstore, using the laundromats, talking to people......as a visitor the place you stay will color your whole trip.....so it matters......i had a fine time and nothing about this place interfered...it did it's job perfectly.

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 1, 2005

Read a number of reviews here before booking a stay at the Comfort Inn near the Jacob Javitz center. Despite complaints from some here I found the place to be an excellent value and an above average all around hotel. The hotel is located between 9th and 10th on 36th street, and I understood complaints about the hotel being located on a pair of dead blocks - 36th between 10th and 8th don't have businesses or stuff on them, just a highway, parking lot, etc. But on 10th and 8th there are businesses so its not like the area is ominous (I'm a single woman who lives in a city), especially during the day it's industrial but not far from shops. I never ended up walking this stretch at night alone, which might have been a wee bit spooky, but this is NYC, the probability you'll take a cab back after a night out is high and that's mostly what I did. At least the location of the place ensures it is quiet, which my room was, on the 14th floor. The room clean and pleasant but tight - like all hotels I've stayed in in NYC - with about 2' of room around a big king bed. The coffeemaker in the room was much appreciated (no place to plug in but the bathroom, but I didn't care) as was free continental breakfast on the ground floor every morning. Hotel staff were very helpful, when asking for directions to a friend's house in Brooklyn one of the staff went so far as to print us out a map of how to get from the train to their place - super nice! I paid $162 for my stay and I'd definitely do it again. Go to the Comfort Inn Website for best prices - I paid "internet users rate" which was lower than on other sites.

• Stayed July 2005