“Should have stayed with option 1”
Review of Hudson River Hotel

Hudson River Hotel
Ranked #370 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Should have stayed with option 1”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Originally booked a 2 night stay at hotel across the street under the same management for a business trip for a convention being held at Javitz. After a mix up in the reservation we were given the option of sleeping 3 adult women in a king bed or moving to a room with double beds at this hotel. Being three adult women and the hotel not offering a roll a way bed option at all we had our reservation moved.

Upon arrival to the hotel the front desk informed us that the in room wifi may or may not be working as there was reportedly an "outage" at a nearby Time Warner tower. The room we were given had two double beds, both pushed against the wall, with a space no larger than a foot in between. The pillows provided were tiny and the pillowcases had to be tucked under in order to make it look like they fit.

Not only were we able to not connect to the wifi but our cable wasn't working either. After calling the support number for Time Warner provided on the information card in the room we were informed that that was a isolated incident pertaining to this hotel and not a tower outage like we were previously informed by the staff. It took 4 hours for the cable to come back on but every 60-90 seconds the screen would go black for about 20 seconds. Needless to say watching anything was impossible.

We stayed in room 200, which was directly to the left of the elevator and also above the hotel entrance. The fluorescent lighting above the entranceway was extremely bright and the sheer beige drapery did nothing to keep out the light. Our room stayed as bright throughout the night as it did at dusk, which made falling asleep to impossible.

The walls were thinner than paper and the conversations of other guests in surrounding rooms were crystal clear. We were initially grateful for the staff across the street for so graciously helping us find a room that sleeps three but shortly found that feeling fleeting. I wouldn't have paid $100/night to stay here let alone the near $400/weekday night we were charged. The money would have been much better spent with Amtrak commuting to and from DC for three days.

• Stayed September 2013
General M, General Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Awy714,
Thank you for taking the time out to give us your feedback. I am very sorry that you experienced these issues during your stay. Time Warner provides us with internet and cable TV and they had a major malfunction at one of their amplifiers outside the building. It took them sometime to fix this and get the internet and TV back up for our guest. For that we are sorry that we couldn’t make things go faster.
I have inspected the room you stayed in and looked to see if there is anything we could do in regards to the light coming in at night. We have black out curtains which are located behind the sheers and they worked properly but we will look to see about adding some tint to the windows to darkening the room for future guest.
I looked up your information and understand what had happened during your reservation. I would like to discuss this with you if you have the time? I can be reached at 212-714-6699. Again I thank you for your time and feedback and we will use this information to better serve our guest and you in the future.

Warmest regards
James Leong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Last night, NJTransit had a power snafu that cancelled all departing trains from 12:40AM onward. Not wanting to sleep at Penn Station, I needed a hotel close by that wasn't expensive. Thank God for this place: the king bedroom was clean, the bed was comfy, and it was a relief to have Jonathan manning the front desk at that time of night. That guy deserves a raise.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
General M, General Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear GoodandTerrible,
Thank you for staying with us. Yes we are very close to Penn Station and Port Authority. We are also very close to the Lincoln tunnel if you decide to drive in next time. I will also review with Jonathan your feedback about his customer service. I’m very pleased to hear he made your stay much more enjoyable. Again thanks for staying with us and taking the time to review us.

Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed August 22, 2013

It's almost like this hotel was forgotten by its management. Every time there was a problem (ice machine not working, no tissues in the room, etc) the staff replied with "we'll have to go get it from our sister hotel across the street." Why couldn't THIS hotel have its own supply? I'm puzzled at the many examples of management neglect, especially because I paid a 'discounted' rate of almost double what i have been paying at midtown boutique hotels. The only redeeming quality was the wonderful staff. Each one was cheerful, helpful, and seemed to truly care - but it also seemed like often their ability to help was limited by not having adequate resources to address customer questions and problems.

Upon entering our room, we encountered a strange smell. It wasn't until attempting to shower the next morning when we realized there was a large patch of mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. We asked to change rooms, and that was done seamlessly, while we were out for the day. However, upon coming back from a long day and taking a shower in our new room, we suddenly noticed we had no hair dryer! Apparently there were no extra hair dryers, so a staff member escorted us to a different room on a different floor to dry our hair, but (of course) we couldn't move to that room because the AC was not working there, and they couldn't move the hair dryer because there was no mechanic at that time (mechanic? it looked like only a few screws, but hey, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.) The next morning we skipped washing hair because of the hassle, but it was an uncomfortable day, and we looked forward to washing hair in the evening when the promised hair dryer was supposed to arrive. But alas, no, no hair dryer arrived. Eventually after several phone calls, the magic 'sister hotel' supplied one, and at least THAT issue was resolved.

Other problems: ice machine not working (in summer? and no freezer on premises, so each request required a staff member to get ice across the street?), elevator super slow (and had a long outage, after which the repair made it a bit faster), steps to get in the front (there was a lift but it was locked, so not easily usable - how do you tell them you need it if you can't get down the steps to ask?), TV remote didn't work (they didn't know what to do about that), missing tissues in the room (they got later in the day from the 'sister hotel'), and the breakfast seemed to go on the cheap side (some of the items just didn't seem high quality, but the staff did the best they could with what they were given.)

Would be really nice if the management and/or owner gave this neglected property some TLC so at least the really nice staff had what they needed to do their jobs. Until then, I'm staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try for a lower floor in case the elevator breaks and you have to use the stairs.
Dear S H,
First let me start by saying thank you for staying with us, and taking the time for your review. We want to hear back from our guest whether good or back. I was quite unpleased to hear you’re about your stay. It seemed as though everything was happening to you during your stay that shouldn’t have. I have reviewed your stay with my teams and we are retraining on a couple of things like the responses you received during your stay. Due to a mix up in deliveries we didn’t receive our supplies in time and part of those supplies were facial tissue and hair dryers, but in the end it doesn’t matter to you where we were getting these items just as long as you received them.
Please be assured that we are looking into everything you had an issue with and addressing it as best as we can. I would love to invite you back to stay with us because I can assure you that the next time will be much different. We hope to see you again, please contact when you decide to do so.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Quality Inn 08/08-08/11 and during my stay the ice machine was out of order and the wi-fi was not working for the first 2 days of my stay . It was a major incovience to walk down to another hotel just to use my laptop for work. I also made management aware of my issues and all I got back was I'm sorry so i will probably never use another choice hotel property in the future

1 Thank CedricW504
General M, General Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Cedricw504,
I didn’t want to begin by saying were sorry since you heard that already but we are sorry. The internet was something that was out of our control. We have since resolved the issue and the internet is up and running once again. The ice machine we are also sorry about. We are at the mercy of the company that is fixing it and the time delay it will take to get the part sent to us. I hope that in the future you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations and give you the stay you deserve.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We just returned from spending a week in New York City. This was our first trip to the city. When we arrived at the hotel, Stephanie greeted us. She was so friendly and made us feel totally at home! We were checked in immediately. We were given the choice of rooms - we chose the top floor. The room was small - with a king size bed. It was very clean and looked very nice. We had a view of the city - not great.....but could see the river etc. Stephanie provided us with a map of the city and gave us directions to many different places. Omar also worked on the front desk. He was very helpful as well. Every time we returned to the hotel we were welcomed back and asked how our day had been and what we had done. All of the staff was very interested in what we had done. They were all very proud of their city and where they worked. Omar helped us book tickets for Broadway shows and printed off the information we needed. Marie and Denise from the housekeeping staff were also very helpful and friendly as well. The free breakfast they had was amazing. It included mini omelets, sausage, fresh waffles (you could put the batter in the waffle maker and wait for it to finish), toast, bagels, English muffins, muffins, yogurt, orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, instant oatmeal, coffee (both regular and decaf), and tea. Coffee and tea was available 24 hours a day. Our room was cleaned every day and was spotless. There was plenty of hot water and water pressure. There was air conditioning and free wifi. It is very conveniently located, about a 15 minute walk to Times Square. It is away from all the "hub bub" of the city. We would definitely stay here again...and would highly recommend this hotel!!!!

2 Thank keith19582013
Dear Keith19582013,

Thank you for your review and for your most recent stay with us. I will review with everyone you mentioned and how they impacted your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that they did their job by giving you the best service we expect them to give. We have average size rooms and we are not located in the heart of Times Square but one thing is for sure, that our staff more than makes up for it by making all of our guest feel not just like guest but like family. Again thank you for your review and taking the time to tell us, we look forward to seeing you again in the future thanks for staying with us.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had an early train at Penn Station so we stayed here. The room was small but typical for NYC, London or Tokyo. The room was very clean and the bed was super comfortable. There's a very small closet that we didn't use. The breakfast was pretty good if you like waffles, sausage, yogurt, fruit and bread. FREE WiFi. Only problem is the elevator, it's very slow, and there's only one. AC worked well. The room isn't well lit, but I found that the case with all the hotels on this trip to the east coast. Friendly, helpful staff. Best price in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kpocampo,
Thank you for your review and for your most recent stay with us. As you already know we are just blocks away from Penn Station but did you know we are also just blocks away from Port Authority as well? We are also right next to the Lincoln tunnel which gives easy access to our guest that are driving in, and we have a parking garage that we are affiliated with that offers our guest a discount parking stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future thanks for staying with us.
Strongsville, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family traveled recently to New York City for the first time and wanted to stay somewhere in Midtown close to Times Square. We found the Quality Inn and figured it would be perfect because of the location and brand name. I called a couple days before arriving just to confirm and make sure they had our reservation. When we showed up to check in we had to wait over an hour just to get to the front desk (there was only one person checking people in and he was taking a large group which caused everyone else waiting to check in to have to wait). When he finally did finish his first words were "I have bad news." They had overbooked the hotel and didn't have a room for us. He said he would check around with some of the other hotels to see if they could put us up for a night and then we could come back the next night and we would have a room (a huge inconvenience for my family as we were traveling with 4 kids under 11. Try walking around with them with all their luggage to go to and from another hotel. It was a pain). Then we had to wait for him to call around until he checked everyone else in because he was the only one. So we ended up waiting another 30 to 45 minutes. After about 2 hours of stopping in to check in we finally were in a room about 4 blocks from our original hotel. We then had to check out of that hotel and carry all our luggage back to the original hotel the next day to check in to the hotel we should have been in. Another nuisance was the lack of a working ice machine the entire time we were there. When we went to check in the first day we heard another customer complain about the ice machine and the clerk apologized and told the customer it was being fixed. We left 5 days later and it was still broken. We brought a bunch of waters and drinks so we wouldn't have to pay outrageous prices in the city but couldn't keep them cool all week long. My only other complaint was that the rooms were so small that they had one of the two beds pushed up right against the air conditioner so that side of the bed was super cold but the rest of the room didn't get much of the A/C. They should have planned better when designing the room to make the A/C more efficient.

On a positive note the location was great. It was only a 10 minute walk to Times Square and a 5 minute walk to the subway. There is lots of great food right around the hotel and parking was only a 100 feet or so from the hotel. Breakfast was included every morning and saved some of that expense. We didn't mind the small room because we really only slept in the room at night and spent the majority of our time in the city. I just wish the check-in would have been easier for our family. I don't know that I would stay their again which is a shame because the location was great. I think I would spend a little more money to stay at a better hotel.

Room Tip: I would not get a double bed room because the bed is pushed up right against the A/C and is not idea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ted B
Dear Ted B,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. On behalf of the Quality Inn Midtown West please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations. We have reviewed your response with all the staff, and we are looking to changing some of our practices and procedures to assure that what happened to you won’t happen to another guest. We are human and ever so often we miss out on an opportunity to make a great impression and this is what happened. I hope you take a chance to give us a second chance to make it up to you in the future. Please reach out to me at the hotel if you do decide to stay with us again. Once more please accept my apologies and thank you for your review.