“Small but great location and great staff.”
Review of Hudson River Hotel

Hudson River Hotel
Ranked #370 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Small but great location and great staff.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

That hotel is close to almost everything: Time Square, Hudson River, Penn Station,
Empire State building, Macy's, etc. The hotel is clean. The rooms are small but they are big enough for our comfort. And the staff are amazing: we were stuck in New-York while hurricane Sandy was hitting New-York; the staff was also stuck at the hotel (no bus or subway to get back home) and they did everything to make our stay the most comfortable possible. I would go back anytime.

Room Tip: Room on South side XX2 and XX3 are better
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We booked at this hotel last minute while our apartment was without power in NYC following Hurricane Sandy. I'd rather be in our place without power than in this hotel. with tax the price was $240/night -- i dont know if this is standard or they were taking advantage of an unfortunate situation. This was WAY too much even for NYC, especially in its crappy location (if you're visiting from out of town, i would suggest picking a different area). This place must've been one of the few with vacancy for a reason. About 30 min into our stay, we heard water coming from the bathroom. When i opened the door to look, water was pouring from a vent which had come out of the ceiling above and flooded the bathroom counter and around the toilet. I have no way of knowing if the water was clean or not. We informed the front desk on our way to dinner (the phone didn't work), and were told they would take care of the issue. when we returned, it was clear no one had been to our room to clean up or check on the situation.
In addition to that mishap, the wireless internet was not working, and the ethernet cable had been yanked out of the wall exposing multiple open wires under the desk. Not only was there no internet access (that we were apparently paying for), it was a serious safety hazard. It was clear that this hotel staff did not care about the safety or cleanliness of their rooms. We had booked for two nights but left after the first and decided to go back to our apartment without power.

I definitely advise shopping around for other hotels. the location is right at the entry of the lincoln tunnel -- dirty and isolated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear acapla,
I like to express my sincere apology to you for the lack of service that you received. From your comments and reveiw we have failed you. I understand with the current events happening that a clean and maintained hotel room is vital. I hope that if you have a moment that you can please contact me at midtown.gm@comfortnyc.com to discuss the room and the dates of your stay so that I can properly address the issues. Please accept my sincerely apology and I hope to hear from you soon.

Lawrence Hou

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Portage la Prairie, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I thought this hotel was pretty good, it had everything you needed and the staff was so sweet and helpful. One lady in particular who was helping at the front desk was joking with us, and was just very kind. The room was small, but was fine for one night. It had everything you needed. But the only downside was the bed, I felt it was a little uncomfortable and the sheets were scratchy.
Location was pretty fantastic, really quick walk to 42nd, and to the train. Was a quiet neighborhood but we had no problems. Breakfast had both hot and cold foods, and juice and coffee. We were happy with the variety. All in all would potentially stay there again. Enjoyed the comfort inn convention center and love Manhattan!!!!

Dear flying_whitley,
Thank you for having chosen the Comfort Inn Midtow West during your most recent visit to NYC. Your comments and review of the hotel and your stay mean a great deal to us. Reviews and comments such as yours gives us a guage as to the level of service and commitment we have for allof our guest. Please use LGEMR during your next return visit as just a thank you for posting this review.

Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights in October, on arrival I was a little dissapointed but that soon changed, very friendly staff, room was great for the price and had everything I needed. It was a short walk to great shopping, Empire State Building, great restaurants and great transportation to anywhere in Manhatten. For the money you cannot do any better, if your there to see Manhatten and eat out mostly then I would highly recommend.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Andy W,
Thank you for staying at the Comfort Inn MIdtown West during your most recent visit to NYC. I hope that you had a safe trip home. Your comments and review shows that we are heading in the right direction. We pride ourselves with the level of service and commitment we show to all of our guests. Please use LGEMR during your next return visit in appreciation for taking the time to post this review. We hope to have you return soon.
Best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I'm currently staying here and am very disappointed. They don't have cable, and only have about 5 actual tv stations. The water pressure this morning went from none to some and back again every 10 seconds. I had 3 phone calls throughout the night with no one on the other end. And the rooms a/c unit cycled on and off throughout the night waking me up every time with a ton of noise. I would not recommend. The bed is also very uncomfortable and I don't have high standards.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear TB151,
I like to extend my sincere apology to you for not meeting your expectations during your stay at the Comfort Inn Midtown West. Your reveiw and comments I assure you will be addressed forthwith. A few of the issue are already being addressed; the satellite TV, the telephone and the water pressure. I like to make up your stay to you and hope that you will give that opportunity. Please contact me at midtown.gm@comfortnyc.com, I look forward to your reply.
Again my sincere apology
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

First off - The service and staff here are extraordinarily helpful and friendly. Also, the free breakfast was very simple but a nice touch to save some time in the morning.

Paid a bit more for this location so I could be near Chelsea, but unfortunately this location is 2 big blocks and 2 small blocks from the nearest subway (A, C, E) which I didn't realize til getting there. It's also in a very weird spot with not much around except for an NYPD station and a freeway entrance, so don't expect to go outside for a stroll in the park or any restaurants etc.

The beds need updating. Was very uneven and uncomfortable. Cleanliness was average, no complaints there.

It wasn't an upsetting experience, just make sure you get the room for less than $150 or you're getting ripped off.

So for next time, if I'm going to be inconvenienced due to location anyway, you might as well pay the same for something nicer in SoHo, Tribeca, or the financial district.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a new bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Hudson River Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear gerbs87,

Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Midtown West during your most recent visit to NYC.
We are sorry to hear of your disappointment in the location of the hotel. The Comfort Inn is located in a unique area of NYC. We border both Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen, but the area is an up and coming with new restaurants and bars opening in the surrounding area. I hope that you will give another opportunity and to fully experience the neighborhood. Behind the Javits Center is a wonderful Hudson River view and path for biking and jogging. If you should, i would like for you to contact me directly at midtown.gm@comfortnyc.com or mention LGEMR.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My sister and 3yr old daughter stayed here for 2 nights when taking a city break in New York.

We chose to stay with a chain hotel rather than an independent for assurances of quality and consistent standards. We were not disappointed. The room was compact but well appointed. There was an iron and ironing board, coffee machine and toiletries available for use. The room was immaculate and we were comfy and enjoyed a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was good, a fair selection of cereals, fruit juice, and freshly made waffles, which were very tasty!

The location of the hotel was slightly off the beaten track but still walkable - about 25 mins from Times Square, 10mins from Madison Square Gardens. We really enjoyed walking through area's we may not necessarily have seen.

The only criticism I have is that I felt the hall smelled a bit of damp, though the amount of time we spent in the actual hallway made it insignificant.

Room Tip: We stayed in a '02' room - at the back of the hotel with no rooms adjacent - perfect if you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear TartanFish,
Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Midtown West again on your return trip back to NYC.
Please be assured that your comment an review of the hallways will be addressed.I hope that on your 3rd return trip it will be an after thought. Thank you for thinking of us on your return trip and your comments and reveiw of the Comfort Inn. In apprecation please use or mention LGEMR on your 3rd visit.