“Delicious food, nice ambiance, excellent service!”
Review of Nobu 57

Nobu 57
Reserve with OpenTable
Nobu 57 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #135 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th Avenues
Transit: F to 57th Street Station
Description: The first uptown New York location by legendary chef Nobu Matsuhisa, opened to much anticipation in the summer of 2005. Nobu's co-owners are his longtime partners: renowned restaurateur Drew Nieporent, Oscar-winning actor Robert De Niro, and producer Meir Teper. The restaurant showcases Nobu's signature New Style Japanese cuisine with classic dishes such as Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeno and Black Cod Miso, and new creations from the wood burning oven and the hibachi table.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My daughter and I really enjoyed our meal at Nobu 57. I have to admit, the place is a little over-hyped and very pricey (our sushi and tempura dinners with one appetizer, one dessert, and sparkling water to drink cost $190!); however, the food, service, and decor are all excellent. To start, we had the black cod with miso which is to die for delicious! I highly recommend getting it. For our meals, my daughter had a sushi dinner and I had the tempura dinner. Both come with miso soup and a delicious salad with a peppery ginger vinaigrette. We were each able to try lots of different sushi pieces and types of tempura this way. My favorite tempura was the shitake mushroom - so yummy! For dessert, we split the "bento box" which is a flourless chocolate cake with green tea ice cream. Delicious! Service was great and the ambiance is very good as well. We dressed up for dinner but there were lots of people there in jeans and more casual wear. All in all a very good experience.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I went to Nobu on Hudson Street about 10 years ago and had a special culinary experience, so was looking forward to great food at Nobu 57. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with the food and service. First, Nobu 57 is a very large restaurant (reminds me a bit of Del Frisco's), which made me wonder immediately whether the fish would be fresh. I ordered sushi (blue fin tuna, uni, Japanese mackerel, and a few other pieces) and waited for what seemed like 30 minutes. Not only did the waiter mix up our order, but the fish came out and looked like it had been sitting around for 15 minutes. I ate the toro first ($14 per piece), which was small but fresh. The sushi rice, however, was hard and clearly was made by an amateur. The rest of my sushi was generally fresh, except for the uni. I love uni and will eat it even if it is not as fresh as Aquagrill's. I wanted to spit out the first piece of uni and did not touch the second piece on my plate.

In sum, if you want sushi executed properly, stay away from Nobu 57 and go to places like Sushi Yasuda. If you want to order a few rolls or cooked entrees, say you went to a Nobu restaurant in NYC, and help this restaurant fulfill its obligation to pay royalties to Mr. Nobuyuki Matsuhisa, then go to Nobu 57 and waste your money. This restaurant is a monument to selling out.

1  Thank jisangil
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Have been to Nobu many times. This was our first time at the midtown location. Our waitress Paige was great! We had the toro tartare to start which is incredible (one of my favourite dishes there). We also had lobster tempura, black miso cod, yellowtail sashimi with jalapeno, soft shell crabs (which are in season for a little while longer) salmon sushi and a couple veg, dishes.
Everything was perfectly prepared, delicious and each dish was properly timed out of the kitchen. Will definately return!!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was really looking forward to this place. The decor was beautiful. The server in the lounge was amazing. The server at out table was extremely poor and the food was average. 2 out of 10 dishes we ordered were great. The other 8 were no better than every other sushi place you could go to for a fraction the price. I told them when I booked the reservation AND at the front desk it was my wife's 40th birthday and they put us by the kitchen door. Thanks!? I then told the server and they said "Oh, happy birthday" like they couldn't care less... and I watched candles go to two other tables whose birthday it must have been and we got nothing. How much trouble would it have been to bring ANYTHING with a little candle for my wife. In the end food and service very disappointing.

1  Thank Glen O
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We order 6 or 8 things that are brought sequentially. We share. Makes for a terrific 2 hour evening. Dinner or after theater or simply for a late supper....always good action. Staff is superb, place is beautiful, food is great. One of our most favorite places in New York City.