“Brasserie B-”

Cercle Rouge
Ranked #2,703 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: North Moore St
Transit: Take the 1 train to Franklin St. or A,C,E to Canal St.
DE
“Brasserie B-”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This place has all the potential, but the food just doesn't deliver. Walking in the door, it feels as if you've tripped into a real Parisian bistro and that will set your taste buds off in anticipation of a classic bistro experience. Sure the waiter was a little aloof, but that's what you expect in a place that is definitively French to its core. The steak frites should have lived up to the setting, but sadly, they came up lacking. Steak was a little tough and fatty, salvaged only by the excellent frites. Maybe we should have gone with something different on the menu, but if a French bistro can't deliver an exceptional steak frites, who can?

Visited March 2013

Paradise
“I love their croque monsieur”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've only been here for lunch a couple times, but the service was speedy and friendly and the food was good. The interior isn't too crowded and the atmosphere is pleasant enough. I can recommend the croque monsieur and steak sandwich, and the french onion soup is just ok. We will be back.

• Visited March 2013
cummington,ma
“Dined here last night...will not return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hostess was extremely friendly as she tried to find a space for us in the front room, a space crammed full of tables and chairs and servers and customers and more tables....we chose a table in a small, too warm room in the back where there was some breathing room. Sparkling water and lemon wedges on the rim of a snifter came quickly, followed by yummy, crispy crusted, sliced bread with super fresh tasting butter. A Chinon was ordered from the wine list by my friend, who said it was a "nice" wine. I thought it tasted like every other $50 bottle of wine at restaurants in NYC. We had 2 apps. A tuna tartare served artfully over fine cucumber capellini - for lack of a better word. Fresh tasting fish, good texture, just too bland all the way around. Also a lightly dressed salad of butter lettuce w/small slices of toasted baguette with goat cheese spread. Again, too bland and now you can add boring. My friend had the trout which looked very appetizing, plated nicely, she ate every bite. I ordered the tripe, as I am bound to do when I find this rarely seen item on a menu. It was listed on the menu as "a la Pascal" and I chose not to ask about the preparation. This tripe is served in an iron skillet and looked like a reddish brown, dry stew with pieces of vegetables. The pieces of tripe were delicious, soft but not mushy. The chef allowed the carrots to take on that role. There were also fingerling potatoes, sliced longitudinally, the biggest item in the mix, too big. Unseasoned, uncrispy breadcrumbs completed the dish. I ate all the tripe and left the starchy yet mushy vegetables in the skillet. Wish there had been a hint of gravy in this entree to wipe up with that yummy bread...

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank p.zindler
Brooklyn, NY
“Not what it used to be, sadly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've eaten at Cercle Rouge and its sister restaurants for years and always enjoyed the authentic charm of the establishments.

The latest meal I had at Cercle Rouge, however, may well be my last. I've always really enjoyed the setting, the atmosphere, the food and the service. The place always delivered a distinctly Parisian experience. One of the first things I noticed on my last visit was the addition of chicken wings to the menu - not quite exactly a French specialty and already a sign that things have changed. Then when my wife ordered the mussels (moules), we were told that french fries would be extra. Okay, fine, not that big of a deal, but the concept of the dish is "Moules et Frites", mussels and fries, so why not just add 3 bucks to the price and serve the fries with the dish?

But the biggest disappointment was the service. It was hyperactive. My wife and I were seated at the bar and the bartender kept over-filling our glasses every 3 minutes. In a restaurant of this category, staff should now how much wine to put in a glass, and when to back off from their customers to give them some peace. We'd have one sip and she'd jet over and add wine to the glass. We felt like we were having the wine literally hosed down our throats! We had intended to have the wine last us after the meal so we could just sit down sipping it but there was no way that was happening! By the middle of our main course the bartender had emptied our bottle by filling our glass and asked us if we wanted another one - I could not believe it. She was just trying to make us drink quickly to make us order more. This is not what I expect at a restaurant such as Cercle Rouge.

I hope that the owners of Cercle Rouge bring it back to what it once was, which is an authentic French restaurant experience in a great art-deco setting with a highly professional staff.

• Visited January 2013
Illinois
“Great French bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

The decor and the food are both top notch. The French onion soup was the best I have ever had. The fish was wonderful and the lemon mousse out of this world. The server was a little officious. When he asked me if I would like a wine, I asked for a Pinot Gris. He said--this is a French restaurant and Pinot Grigio is an Italian wine. I said--I know that is why I asked for a Pinot Gris--After this little, tiny misstep, service was very good. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone--there were families and couples. Lovely atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013