Situated just a hundred yards off 5th avenue, and just a ten minute walk from Times Square and a slightly longer stroll to the Empire State Building it's a case of location, location, location and value for money with this hotel especially if this is your first visit to NYC.
We stayed as a family of three (Mum, Dad and teenage son) over the Christmas week and found it ideal for our purposes. It's by no means plush but offers a free cooked breakfast daily and fresh coffee on tap 24 hours and basic but always clean and comfortable rooms (two double beds in the case of our family room). Yes you do have to jostle a bit for your breakfast in the too small lobby eating area (especially between 9-10pm) and seating is at a premium during this period but there's always the option to take your food back to your room. It's an all you can eat/grab what you like buffet and there's decent variety and ample stocks that are regularly replenished - with Christmas morning being the one forgivable exception when things were a little depleted by 9am. And lets not forget here that any breakfast included in your nightly tariff, let alone one offering hot food choices, is a rare thing indeed in any NYC hotel and by our calculations it's a perk that saved us several hundred dollars over our week's stay.
Rooms are small by the standards of any other HI Express we've stayed in - as we expected - but in comparative terms are reasonably sized by budget hotel standards for Manhattan where 'compact' is often taken to an extreme. They are a little dated perhaps but are well kept, clean and do have a bang up to date large flat screen TV and fully functional free Wi-Fi.
Clothing storage space was reasonable for the size of room and the bathroom compact but like the rest of the facilities was serviced daily to a high standard with a generous towel allocation.
We were on a high floor (nineteen out of twenty-two), a blessing in terms of isolation form street noise but it did mean an occasional lengthy wait at peak times for one of the two small lifts.
Note there are no room safe's if this is important to you (though you have your valuables secured in a safe in reception) and no fridge as in other HI Expresses we've used but there are plenty of ice machines spread throughout the building meaning that you can always chill your drinks in the ice bucket or sink as we did.
Worthy of a mention is the free left-luggage service that we used on our day of departure which was operated cheerfully and efficiently by the staff.
Staff deserve a big thumbs up for being generally polite and helpful in a city where this is far from always the case with those working in the service industry!
Overall then a big thumbs up. It's not plush or stylish but it offers a cheap, cheerful and comfortable place to rest your head at the end of a hard day's sightseeing in this noisy, dirty, bustling but vibrant and captivating city that never sleeps. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York Located in the heart of New York City, Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York is perfect for one who wants to experience the best of Manhattan and Times Square. You will be spoilt for choices by the wide range of activities surrounding the hotel, from musicals at the Theatre District to exhibitions at the Modern Museum of Art, shops at the Fashion District to strolls in Central Park or Bryant Park. If business is what brings you to the city, you will find major commercial buildings often just a short stroll away from the hotel. The Grand Central Station and subways are also easily accessible, seamlessly connecting you to the rest of the city. Stay productive in our 24-hour business center which offers wireless internet access and a range of business support services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave Hotel New York City
- Holiday Inn New York City
- New York City Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Manhattan