“no ketchup, prefer 39th St location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express New York City

Holiday Inn Express New York City
Ranked #333 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Durham
“no ketchup, prefer 39th St location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

(1) No ketchup...they didn't run out, they don't carry it. (but there are eggs offered!!) For me that killed the usefulness of the breakfast. The free breakfast is pretty good - IF you can maneuver your way around people - the area is MINUTE (not tiny, MINUTE).
(2) Rooms are smaller than what we've experienced - on par with the small rooms in the Club Quarters hotels. Lower level rooms are bigger - we were assigned there first, but curtain was black and being below ground was oppressive so we moved. Bed was comfy. Towels, toiletries were fine. Shower was fine but you cant adjust the pressure or angle of shower head. Extra towels and pillows were brought up within reasonable amount of time.
(3) Don't appreciate 2 desk clerks speaking Spanish between each other when we were checking in and especially when we returned to ask to change rooms. Overall staff was pleasant.
If I HAD to stay here or they dropped their prices a lot, I would stay here again, but I thought I was booking into the 39th Street HIExpress....prefer it WAY MORE than this place.
(4) Good location. VERY VERY VERY noisy all night. Much more than any other hotel I've stayed at in the area in NYC.

Room Tip: lower level rooms are larger
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Toni-lynn M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. It is really nice to know that you found the bed to be comfortable. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had an extended weekend at this hotel, the location is brilliant for all of the sights and sounds of New York. As I travelled with my daughter we had a 2 double bedded room and would not say it was cramped, small yes but room enough for us. Good large TV the only comment of the room was the lack of milk - there wasn't any to go with the coffee.

Breakfast - this could be reviewed as to how it is set out as the space is very limited and always queues, also a lack of tables, probably best to take it to your room.

We arruved early and our room was ready on the 18th floor so little noise from the streets.

Would I stay here again - probably as the location is good

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Worxelminxy
Santiago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Excellent hotel. The room was clean, big enough for a business trip. I had delivered 7 packages and had no problems with their delivery. I had to ask a few times for them, but they save them and store them for me. People were super nice too.
The best thing: the location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

From the outside, the impression is fairly average. Stepping into the cramped lobby with its crowded breakfast area does not bode well either. But once you get to your room the impression changes dramatically. Its actually quite nice! In fact, I would rate it on par with a full-service Holiday Inn room. But remember this is supposed to be a 'Holiday Inn Express', which is the pared back version, lacking many of the facilities. But I would not have guessed that from my room: it was no different from a good standard HI room. Yes, it was small, but it lacked for none of the expected amenities, and the bathroom was also quite clean, modern and stocked with good quality toiletries and bath linen. The reason I was there was because Virgin Atlantic delayed my flight to London by twelve hours, so I decided to head into Manhattan for a few hours sleep. This is where it got interesting. Unfortunately, the bed (though well turned-out with good linen) was worn and its surface was uneven to sleep on. End result: not much sleep.

However, I was impressed enough by the rest of the room and the location to say that I would give this hotel another try in the future (and definitely for longer than a few hours). So on that basis, I give it a 3* now, but am willing to concede that it could be a 4* stay in the future!

If my report helped in your decision-making, then please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive from you and I fully appreciate your response, dear reader.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank ExLibris76
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear ExLibris76,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay at our hotel. It's great to hear your positive feedback on the quality and amenities of your room accommodation as well as our hotel location. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort you may have experienced due to the condition of our bedding. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Hampshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. Room was very small, lovely large bed but no room to move around it without bumping into each other!

One small closet to hang clothes in which didn't really bother us all that much but may be a let down to other people. No safe in the room, but there are coffee making facilities.

On the plus side, room was clean, the King size bed was very comfortable, we had a decent sized bathroom (compared to the bedroom) which also had a bath and shower. Breakfast is included, but can be incredibly busy and hard to find a table and chairs to sit at. Breakfast was ok, we are not big on eating breakfast so it served our needs well with a good choice of juice, coffee and even hot tea - which comes with a take out style cup so you can take it with you.

Only 2 lifts which seem to ignore the middle floor rooms and go straight to the top which can lead to delays and annoyance! A few unfortunate people ended up in rooms below ground, so I would always ask for a high room when booking as these seemed to be very warm and just outside the communal computer area. It also took ages to get our luggage when we came to leave - check in is after 3pm and check out is before 11am.

Would I stay here again, probably not. I'd have been disappointed if this was the first time I had stayed in NYC, as the view wasn't great from our room. If this is your first trip I would recommend the Novotel in Times Square and again ask for a high floor as the views down to Times Square are amazing. This hotel is ok for a business traveller who doesn't have many things and people staying on their own. Location is spot on for the area, not quite Times Square but its nice to be outside of that hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: This hotel has rooms below reception level - ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Goonerette
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Goonerette,

Thank you for your candid review. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. Let me offer our sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, and hopefully on such occasion we can start to rebuild your trust in our hotel. Thank you again for your comments.

Connie D
Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Really enjoyed my stay which was for work, but as this is close to Times Square - I also managed to visit the places in the evening and get some personal leisure time. I do plan to stay again at this hotel if I were to visit alone or with family.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kunalsharma7
Michigan Center, Michigan, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at this place using IHG points before the devaluation. Therefore, the points we used is significantly less than it requires now. The location is perfect. You are in the center of midtown. Walk distance to Grand Central and many other places of interest. However, the room is so small, Sometimes, it is hard for you to turn around. The breakfast is so so. It is in the first floor in front of the reception desk. The wireless signal was okay for you to check emails, twitter and facebook. It was not fast for you to watch video streaming.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Alan W,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area. We apologize you were not well satisfied with the room accommodations you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered that was less than satisfactory. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M