“The hotel is too small”

Ranked #356 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Rishon Lezion, Israel
“The hotel is too small”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great location.A well known hotel chain.Read prior reviews.Even when expecting the worst'I was astonished to see how small the room is.No way that 4 people with their luggage could fit into it.
I went to the reception'and even though I had a prepaid reservation,the manger was fair enough to let me leave.
If you are single and know how to travel "light"-this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GMFifthAvenue, Front Office Manager at Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Hello Natan,

Thank you for having chosen the Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue during your most recent visit to NYC. We're sorry that the accomodations didn't meet your needs and expectations. However, We have noted your feedback and have taken them into serious consideration.We greatly value your feedback and would like to speak to you directly about your stay, please feel free to contact me at fom@expressfifth.com.

Thank You!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012

After reading this just look for other competing hotels in the area because you will not like it! Try Hampton, Fairfield Inn or even the Holiday Inn Express times square or Holiday Inn Express Wall Street. I stayed in the HI express Wall street location and the Times square location and both were good.
This location is just way too congested.
First of all there is no lobby. Not even 1 couch.

Second the location is not really that good. Its located on 45th street between 5th and 6th Ave but not the part of 5th Ave we all are familiar with like 5th Ave and 59th street where FAO Schwartz, Befgdoff Goodman, Central Park and the Apple store are.

The computers are located in the basement in the HALLWAY right when you get off the elevator. And get this there are actually guest rooms in the basement. Who in their mother would stay down there is beyond me. I was using the computer and people were getting off the elevator and bumping me with their suitcase as there is no space to move.
There is no gym as there are in most HI express hotels

But here is the worst part. The complementary breakfast.
Its really why most people stay in Holiday Inn Express for the complementary breakfast. But this hotel did not have a dedicated breakfast room. Instead they put 1 big table and chairs (think IKEA) and some bar stools in the area behind the front desk. The food is placed in the far corner and everyone just pushes and grabs like herds of animals and before you know it everything is finished. The oriental lady who tends to the breakfast area can't keep up in there cramped conditions because she has to pass the front desk and elevators and go to a room at the other end of the hotel in order to get more food and supplies to replenish. On her way back to the breakfast area people are literally grabbing anything she has right off the tray before she can even make it back to the breakfast area to refill it.
The 2 days I was there the pancake machine never worked. The second day they took it out all together. I went for a glass of OJ and the machine was empty. So I grabbed cranberry. The second day the cranberry was empty as well so i had to have apple. One day there was no lids out for the coffee so I went under the cabinet myself and got them. Another day all the coffee creamer containers were empty so I had to grab 2% milk from the fridge, open it and waste the rest of the milk. The whole point to the breakfast buffet is not just because its included in the room but because it saves time because you can just go from your room and get breakfast and the go to where you want to go without wasting time. BUT I THINK I WASTED MORE TIME FIGHTING OVER FOOD AND PUSHING AND SHOVING THEN I WOULD HAVE ORDERING BREAKFAST AND EATING IT IN A DINNER.
Speaking of Diners try TOM RESTAURANT (DINER). Its the one from Seinfield and the Susan Vega song. They are really fast, good and reasonably priced. Just take the 1 train to 110th St/Cathedral Parkway and walk 1 block. The address is 2880 Broadway New York, NY 10025.

I think the fact that most of the guests are European the prices must come out much cheaper for them in Euros because the hotel was no bargain at 300.00 a night. For the same price you can stay at the Marriott Grand Marquis right in the middle of Times square.

My advise to the owners of this hotel would be to clear out 1 floor (there are only like five rooms per floor) Make this entire floor a breakfast room with a food prep area to the side. Put the computers on this same floor near the breakfast area and put a small exercise room. Then the hotel would be ok. Until then its a ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I do have 1 good thing to stay. The front desk staff were polite and the guest rooms were fine.
But I will never, I repeat never be coming back to HI Express. There are far better ones in NYC.

You can do much better and you deserve much better. This hotel does not live up to HI Espress standards.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pedromichael
GMFifthAvenue, General Manager at Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. We regret that your stay was less than favorable. We appreciate the positive comments about our guest rooms and our staff. We are committed to examining those aspects of your stay that did not go well. We have received excellent reviews on our breakfast experience and quality of food on a consistent basis. We will identify what we did not do correctly on the morning of your stay. We will make the appropriate adjustments to prevent a recurrence. We value your feedback and would love to speak to you directly about your stay.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

i stayed here for 3 nights with my 7 and 5 yr old, rooms were small as you would expect in NYC but we were only here to sleep and found the room to be more than comfortable and the bathroom had everything we needed and was very clean. breakfast can be crowded so i would go down of a morning and get what we needed and go back upstairs. location is perfect for everything and i would definately book here again. we were able to check in early which was great and even though there was a bit of noise at night, this was not an issue, if you've travelled to many cities around the world, you know what to expect in large cities and it's all part of the atmosphere, especially in the city that never sleeps!

Room Tip: ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
GMFifthAvenue, Front Office Manager at Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced what New York City has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I arrived from my overseas flight at 2:00 in the afternoon - but was told it was too early to check into my room. But then was offered to have a room on one of the higher floors. I asked for a quiet room as I needed some sleep. The room was definitely basic - great TV, coffee maker and DVD player - but it needed refurbishment. It was a front facing room. The first thing I noticed was the mouldy smell - that smelled a bit like wee as well. Not nice. The cleaners were right outside the room, and they sprayed some stuff around. It improved, but still not quite right. I tried to nap - but there was a bell going off, at regular intervals. Even though I was on the 14th floor, I could still hear it clearly. I discovered later on, it was attached to a small lifting platform in front of a building across the street. The bell warned pedestrians on the sidewalk, that it was being raised. Luckily, it wasn't used through the night. But it started again, early the next morning.

But the staff were very helpful. One recommended Carnegie's Deli for food - fabulous choice. They also bent over backwards to accomodate, fixed the printer on the computer, opened doors, etc. They could not have done more. The breakfast was ok - I just hate the disposable plates and cutlery.

Now I know this was Manhatten, but charging $450 for the room was still OTT. It's the most I've ever paid for a very average room that smelled like wee.

Room Tip: Avoid the front facing rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jonsey52
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Jonsey52,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We are pleased you found our staff helpful. I apologize for the inconvenience and issues you had with check-in and the condition of your room. We will use your comments to improve our efforts. We all hope to have an opportunity to provide you with a great experience at our hotel on your next visit.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
bangalore
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I travelled alone in NYC this time. Chose this hotel purely for its location as I wanted to explore on foot. Though the rooms were OK, I found that the front desk had no clue whatsoever about what the city had to offer. The lifts were also on the slower side....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sandeepai
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for 1nite in city using priority points. Location was great, midway between 5th&6th. A quick walk to Time square, central park, MoMA, Rockefeller center, & subway. Parking one block away. Just be aware it's small (lobby, brkfst area, rooms, bed (only 6'), & elevators. But clean and this is Manhattan so We'll be back. Very nice staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tastelikechicken
White Plains, MD
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties, mostly because I find the beds/sheets/linens are consistent property to property (comfortable!) and I love the free hot breakfast. I was concerned that in NYC I would run into problems I hear are consistent with many budget friendly hotels (loud street noise, cramped rundown outdated rooms, rude staff, having to pay for everything - breakfast/wifi).

I was so pleased that none of this true at this property!! The staff were nothing but wonderful and accommodating. Our room, albeit small (you will find this in EVERY hotel room in this city, you want a big spacious room, splurge for a $700/night suite somewhere), was spotless, modern, and the beds were comfortable. We had zero street noise, in fact, I could not even hear anyone in any of the neighboring rooms. Wifi is free and high quality (I noted that in a lot of other hotels you must pay for wifi).

Breakfast was hot (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes, cold/hot cereal, fruit and yogurt), and the staff worked tirelessly to make sure everything was stocked. The breakfast area is tight, but they have done an excellent job arranging the seating, and my husband and I never had to wait to sit down. Yes people are conversing amongst themselves.... you want a quiet private breakfast, either take it to your room (via the convenient and readily available trays) or go buy it yourself in a restaurant. Good luck finding a free breakfast of this quality at this room price somewhere else.

There were some complaints made by other reviewers, but really I feel they are unwarranted and the writers had a ridiculous notion of what to expect from a hotel in NYC. For the price, and being 1 block off of the center of Times Square, and within walking distance of Rockefellar Plaza, The Theatre District, ect..... this cannot be beat!

Room Tip: Try a lamb gyro from the Kwik Cart on the corner of 46th and 5th (silver cart with a simple green si...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple