“Modern, clean, free wifi/breakfast, amazing location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express New York City

Holiday Inn Express New York City
Ranked #333 of 467 Hotels in New York City
White Plains, MD
“Modern, clean, free wifi/breakfast, amazing location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties, mostly because I find the beds/sheets/linens are consistent property to property (comfortable!) and I love the free hot breakfast. I was concerned that in NYC I would run into problems I hear are consistent with many budget friendly hotels (loud street noise, cramped rundown outdated rooms, rude staff, having to pay for everything - breakfast/wifi).

I was so pleased that none of this true at this property!! The staff were nothing but wonderful and accommodating. Our room, albeit small (you will find this in EVERY hotel room in this city, you want a big spacious room, splurge for a $700/night suite somewhere), was spotless, modern, and the beds were comfortable. We had zero street noise, in fact, I could not even hear anyone in any of the neighboring rooms. Wifi is free and high quality (I noted that in a lot of other hotels you must pay for wifi).

Breakfast was hot (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes, cold/hot cereal, fruit and yogurt), and the staff worked tirelessly to make sure everything was stocked. The breakfast area is tight, but they have done an excellent job arranging the seating, and my husband and I never had to wait to sit down. Yes people are conversing amongst themselves.... you want a quiet private breakfast, either take it to your room (via the convenient and readily available trays) or go buy it yourself in a restaurant. Good luck finding a free breakfast of this quality at this room price somewhere else.

There were some complaints made by other reviewers, but really I feel they are unwarranted and the writers had a ridiculous notion of what to expect from a hotel in NYC. For the price, and being 1 block off of the center of Times Square, and within walking distance of Rockefellar Plaza, The Theatre District, ect..... this cannot be beat!

Room Tip: Try a lamb gyro from the Kwik Cart on the corner of 46th and 5th (silver cart with a simple green si...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I booked my room the day I wanted it and I was able to get a room with no problem. It was a basic room but I was still very pleased. Excellent bathroom facilities and a very comfortable bed. The TV was great too.
The staff were very helpful and informed me of some of the services that they offered that I would find help full.
The location is perfect for someone whos knowledge of the city is limited. It is only two blocks from Times Square.
Next time I visit NYC this is where I will be staying.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Kayleigh G
MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and found this hotel was all we needed. It is an easy walk to Times Square and the Theater District. The rooms are small, but in good repair, clean and well-planned. The bathroom works well, but has only a shower. We found the beds comfortable, the views are of nearby buildings. The staff was knowledgeable, friendly and very helpful. They check bags on your last day which is a big help. The free breakfast is typical Holiday Inn Express, but makes it easier to get started on a busy day. Two complaints were that the lobby eating area was really too small for the large breakfast crowd and the "Business Center" is only two older computers next to a vending machines in the basement and it is very hot and stuffy in the small space.

Room Tip: If you plan to spend the day in NYC after you check out, you can leave your bags at at the hotel and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I would have to start by agreeing with most others on this site. Nice little hotel in a GREAT location and somewhat cheaper that other hotels in the area. Yeah, the rooms are small...but clean. I would probably come back here on a personal trip again, but never again for business.
The WiFi in the rooms is free...but spotty at best. They call it a "business center" but really it's a room with 2 outdated PC's and a printer, and workspace/desk in your room is also home to your coffee maker and ice bucket so there is no place to work.
Breakfast is included, and actually decent food...but the since the lobby is about the size of one of the guest rooms, the "cattle call" situation that it creates is actually quite obscene.

In closing, it's really not a bad choice if you are visiting NYC to see the sites and not break the bank. But if you are here on business...there are much better choices in the area for a few bucks more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank chuckw47
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Dont prepay the room if you want to have surprises when you arrive. They put me in a very small room( we paid for a room for four) and we could not open our lugagge. They didnt even apologize. They said they gave the bigger rooms already and we could leave if we wanted. Very rude staff. I wont ever step in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mbtripreview
Shoreham, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed last Thursday night at the Holiday Inn Express on 5th Avenue.

When I checked in the desk clerk said, “I’m sorry, but the only room we have is on the 1st floor.” I didn’t think anything of it but it should have been a red flag. I went to the room and it was only a few feet off the lobby and right next to the elevator.

The room had a very musty smell and the carpet was wet in areas. In addition, the staff was using a very, very loud floor cleaner in the lobby only a few feet away. There was no way that anyone could sleep in that room.

When I went to the desk to get help, I was told there were no more rooms available and I would have to stay in that room.

They sent the maintenance person who told me that the manager had had him change the shower curtain that day and the musty smell would eventually go away. He sprayed some stuff around to mask the smell.

The lobby noise continued unabated until nearly 2 am and then picked up again at 6 am as the lobby began to fill with guests.

I got about 3 hours of sleep, had an allergic reaction and bad headache from the mold.

In the morning I asked to speak to the manager who didn’t arrive until nine. The morning desk clerk acknowledged that this room is a continuing source of trouble and promised me a call back.

At 10:30 I called the manager who basically took a tough luck, that’s a room that we rent approach with me and offered me minor compensation. After an unpleasant argument she agreed to comping the night.

The bottom line is that this is NOT a room that this hotel chain should be putting customers in. Never, not at all.

Based on this experience I will not return to the 5th avenue location and I’m going to generally avoid the Holiday Inn Express chain.

If their quality reviews allow such a room to be rented, I don’t feel I can trust you to provide me with a minimally acceptable experience.

I’m a frequent traveller. Holiday Inn Express is now the horror story I’ll be telling my fellow travellers over evening beers.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floors. If they have you on the first floor go to another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Vinny L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Vinny L,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I was reluctant to stay in a Holiday Inn in NYC, but it turned out to be clean, comfy, and ideally located. We had room 1605, so were well above any street noise. Cold AC, comfy king bed, roomy shower. Good free breakfast too, and nice desk staff. No problem to leave our baggage there after checkout while we hit a few more sights. Very nice surprise! Would stay there again and would eat next door at the Turkish restaurant AnTalya again too.

• Stayed August 2012