“Nice hotel...but not for business travel”

Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York
Ranked #363 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I would have to start by agreeing with most others on this site. Nice little hotel in a GREAT location and somewhat cheaper that other hotels in the area. Yeah, the rooms are small...but clean. I would probably come back here on a personal trip again, but never again for business.
The WiFi in the rooms is free...but spotty at best. They call it a "business center" but really it's a room with 2 outdated PC's and a printer, and workspace/desk in your room is also home to your coffee maker and ice bucket so there is no place to work.
Breakfast is included, and actually decent food...but the since the lobby is about the size of one of the guest rooms, the "cattle call" situation that it creates is actually quite obscene.

In closing, it's really not a bad choice if you are visiting NYC to see the sites and not break the bank. But if you are here on business...there are much better choices in the area for a few bucks more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank chuckw47

Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Dont prepay the room if you want to have surprises when you arrive. They put me in a very small room( we paid for a room for four) and we could not open our lugagge. They didnt even apologize. They said they gave the bigger rooms already and we could leave if we wanted. Very rude staff. I wont ever step in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Mbtripreview
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed last Thursday night at the Holiday Inn Express on 5th Avenue.

When I checked in the desk clerk said, “I’m sorry, but the only room we have is on the 1st floor.” I didn’t think anything of it but it should have been a red flag. I went to the room and it was only a few feet off the lobby and right next to the elevator.

The room had a very musty smell and the carpet was wet in areas. In addition, the staff was using a very, very loud floor cleaner in the lobby only a few feet away. There was no way that anyone could sleep in that room.

When I went to the desk to get help, I was told there were no more rooms available and I would have to stay in that room.

They sent the maintenance person who told me that the manager had had him change the shower curtain that day and the musty smell would eventually go away. He sprayed some stuff around to mask the smell.

The lobby noise continued unabated until nearly 2 am and then picked up again at 6 am as the lobby began to fill with guests.

I got about 3 hours of sleep, had an allergic reaction and bad headache from the mold.

In the morning I asked to speak to the manager who didn’t arrive until nine. The morning desk clerk acknowledged that this room is a continuing source of trouble and promised me a call back.

At 10:30 I called the manager who basically took a tough luck, that’s a room that we rent approach with me and offered me minor compensation. After an unpleasant argument she agreed to comping the night.

The bottom line is that this is NOT a room that this hotel chain should be putting customers in. Never, not at all.

Based on this experience I will not return to the 5th avenue location and I’m going to generally avoid the Holiday Inn Express chain.

If their quality reviews allow such a room to be rented, I don’t feel I can trust you to provide me with a minimally acceptable experience.

I’m a frequent traveller. Holiday Inn Express is now the horror story I’ll be telling my fellow travellers over evening beers.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floors. If they have you on the first floor go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Vinny L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Central Fifth Avenue New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Vinny L,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I was reluctant to stay in a Holiday Inn in NYC, but it turned out to be clean, comfy, and ideally located. We had room 1605, so were well above any street noise. Cold AC, comfy king bed, roomy shower. Good free breakfast too, and nice desk staff. No problem to leave our baggage there after checkout while we hit a few more sights. Very nice surprise! Would stay there again and would eat next door at the Turkish restaurant AnTalya again too.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Gentilhomme
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Planned a long week-end to visit NEW YORK, When we got to the hotel, was told by staff our room was not ready,. We walked less than a block to notice all the IRISH PUBs in the area ---good time!!! Great variety of restaurants in the area though., as well as close to all the best shopping & entertainment, Rockefeller Center, Penn station etc.. We got back to Hotel around 4pm & again was told- unable to check in because our room still was not ready!!!! Slightly annoyed we sat & had coffee in the small breakfast area,, while we waited an additional 15 minutes. My husband is handicapped & gets tired easily. Yes, rooms are very small, but clean & surprising good nites sleep. The Breakfast, is suffient, but like other reviews stated if you want to sit down, down expect a quiet lesiure breakfast, very crowded & NOISEY!!! For the long weekend we thought hotel was OK, but next time might check out something different.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thebeachlover1
Reviewed July 29, 2012

It was our first trip to NY and we were ultimately very happy with the hotel. A glitch with our room was resolved the next day and exceeded our expectation. The room was very clean (#1), the location was excellent (#2), the staff were top notch! Yes, the square footage is compressed to the max but this is New York - what do you expect? If you can hit the breakfast line at the right time its quick and easy. Not gourmet but certainly adequate and better than I produce at home most days. If you hit the breakfast crowd...be prepared to exercise some patience. Bottom line - we wouldn't hesitate to stay again - it's great value. Be sure to catch a pint at the Cock and Bull just a couple of doors down!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TERESA M
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just got back from a business trip to NYC and stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Breakfast was generally crowded as others have pointed out...if you want to avoid the lines and mob, go earlier (before 7am) as I did that a few days and had no issues. In a great location just 1/2 a block from 5th Avenue and 2.5 blocks from both times square and rockefeller center. The library and grand central are both a quick 8-10 minute walk as well. Room was SMALL but very clean and nicel appointed. My only complaint about the hotel would be the bar across the street called Point Break, I went in there during my stay for a drink, it was a nice place and had a good vibe but they play the music so loud inside and out which i could clearly hear and kept me awake past midnight on one night (though only on one night out of the 5) and i was on the 15th floor! I even had the fan on high and a white noise app on my ipad blaring on high and could still hear the thump thump of the bass. So if sleep is important to you ask for a room that doesn't face the street or bring a white noise device of some kind to drown it out. Overall a very good experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the street if you want to avoid noise from the bar across the street. The...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business