“Excellent location, shame about the hotel.”

Imperial Court Hotel
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, shame about the hotel.”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I think your experience at this hotel depends very much on which room you get - in the first room we had, none of the windows opened or shut properly, the bathroom was tiny, there was no hot water in the morning, the water wouldn't stay in the sink, we had no iron or hairdryer, I could go on... after a week, we discovered a mouse running amongst our belongings at night. Our second room, a queen size (the mouse being the final straw) was much better although still below the standard of every other hotel I have stayed in. The previous comments about the staff are true, they are unhelpful and seem indifferent to any problems you have. The hotel is in an excellent location, close to the Hudson River and Central Park with easy access to the subway. The fridge and microwave also come in handy but if you do stay here, make sure you get one of the better rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Slovak first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Staff were useless.
On check in they lost my booking. I called to amend the date 4 days before, but noone actioned it so the booking was cancelled.
The staff constantly sit at a desk out the back office watching sport on the computer. To get them to get up and come to the reception desk to speak with you is impossible. They just remain seated 20 feet way in the office in front of their beloved TV and will not move.
Once finally in my room, I called reception to get the TV to work. Had to wait 2 hrs and 3 more calls for someone to come fix it. This is at 23:00 at night!!!
The next morning I left the hotel to go to a meeting and advised the reception desk that the plug in my sink was stuck, the shower head is pointing at the wall and the in room safe was locked and I wanted to use it. On return that evening nothing had been done. Had to call the reception desk again and ask for it to be done. I went out for dinner for 2hrs and returned around 20:00 and STILL nothing had been done., I had to call reception again.

The bed was lumpy and the pillows smelt really bad (Had to wrap them in a towel). The bed spread was filthy and may cleaned 6 months ago at best.

This was a company paid trip, so I did not really have any choice, but if you ever find you are booked in this hotel I would seriously look at making a change. It is just a very old hotel and quite dirty. The staff is some of the worst I have ever seen in the hotel industry and I have stayed at 1000's of hotels!!

On Check out, I asked to store my bags. The reception staff member told me to just leave them in the lobby. I asked if they could lock them up, he said "no we don’t do that". Not very secure to just leave many bags in the lobby, when the staff are always out the back watching TV.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank aussiehard1

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York
Reviewed September 12, 2012

- ensure you print out your booking confirmation and what your room included eg bathroom
- good location
- NO hot water
- Small room for 2 singles.
- Close to broadway and lots of amenities
overall good

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel is located in a very good area, few minutes from the transportation - very near to the subway, and few steps from a bus station. The room was very large with fine facilities. The price was less expensive that other hotels in this level. Unfortunately the staff are not kindly enough (except one) . Also it is necessary in our century to enable a free internet access in the rooms and in the loby. If I had to come again this hotel could be my choise again.
Esther & Meir from Haifa

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Meir W
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2012

the staff (owner is so rude and has no good manners, i think he is in the wrong business), Hotel is is patched up, full of cockroaches in bathroom. Toilet did not flush and was not cleaned. There was mold on tiles and basin.
the picture on the advertisement shows a different clean hotel, but is the opposite when you get there.
I don't recommend to stay in this hotel even for free.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank oscar m
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I forgot to make this comment about this hotel. The reason of going to New York was that I've not seeing my childhood friends for almost 18 years and it was a good opportunity to go with my hubby and kids to meet them and their family. We went to New York two years ago for March Break 2010. We stayed at Imperial Court Hotel. We didn't bother renting a car for our trip, because transportation is was so convenient and fast. Everything was pretty much at walking distance too. About the hotel, we didn't expect the price was cheap specially in Manhattan, New York. It was very convenient, because the room has a kitchenette with a microwave, plates, utensils, mugs/cups, coffee maker, and a fridge. One night there wasn't enough towels, so we went to the front desk for some fresh ones. The hotel is old but still functional. The room and washroom aren't sparkling clean like the high end expensive hotel . You will occasionally find tiny roaches in the kitchenette but remember this is Manhattan and it's old area and cheap. We weren't fine but we wouldn't be fine if we has seen a rat. We actually did make good use of the kitchenette, because we bought simple grocery for morning breakfast or late snack after a long day wondering around NY. It was a good stay, but lower your expectation if it comes to cleanliness or appearance. It would be great if management can refurnished or renovate the rooms an washroom a bit. Hope the next trip to New York, this hotel will still in business and all renovated. This can't compare our stay at Floridays in Orlando last year March Break. Sorry to all viewers the time travel that I chose here cannot be back day to 2010; so, I was forced to choose March 2012.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family