“Awesome Stay @ the Hilton Garden”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West
Ranked #215 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Very knowledgeable staff and very welcoming. Received a great rate through Groupon, but I am also a Hilton member. I was treated very professionally. The desk and valet team members are awesome. Housekeeping brought me extra towels to my room promptly and a call was made to ensure they were delivered!

Room Tip: Choose a high room - very quiet and you get a view of the city streets.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for your review and taking time to highlight our great Team.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

As written by a previous reviewer- this is our new "go to" hotel when in New York. This was our 3rd trip to the city. The other 2 times we stayed in Times Square at the Marriot Marquis. This hotel is located between Times Square and Central Parl between 7th and 8th on 54th Street. You are close to Times Square (about 4 blocks) and also close to Central Park, the Theater District and a couple of blocks from 5th Avenue. Our room was on the 16th floor. We found it very quiet from both street noise and noise on the floor. A nice change from the noise of Times Square and the Marquis. The rooms are small but all hotel rooms in NY are small unless you spring for a suite. We really liked that it is one of the few hotels with 2 queen sized beds. Usually all you can find is 2 fulls. The price was very reasonable by NY standards and we signed up for Hilton Rewards which is free. The fact that it was new was also a plus. We spent most of everyday out and about so we didn't care that there was not a "sitting area" . The TV is big, they had plenty of plugs for all of our devices to charge and they are an ATT hotspot so we had free wifi since we are ATT customers. We found the staff extremely friendly and couteous from the front desk folks to the door men and maids. We called in advance to ask for a recommendation of a car service to get us to and from the airport. They connected us with Delilah's Car Service who we could also not have been more pleased with. We arrived at the hotel around lunch time and we were happily surprised that our room was ready. During our stay if was cold in the 20's-30's. I requested a blanket and it was promptly delivered along with additional towels. The beds were comfortable and both soft and firm pillows were provided. We did not have any issues with the elevators that I have seen mentioned in reviews of other high rise hotels. We never waited more than a few minutes and the hotel did seem fairly busy. We wanted a close pizza place and the front desk folks recommended Luigi's around the corner- it was awesome!! We found the staff very eager to please. We had a late checkout which was great. Our only hiccup was with our car service on our departure. We had a reservation and we were down there at the lobby a few minutes early. The doorman went out to check to see if the service was there and several of the drivers on the street tried to "steal" our business. We actually got in one car and only after we asked them point blank if they were "Delilah's" because the sign inside the car said something else did they admit that they were not. Out we got and the doorman had to retrieve our luggage and we waited about 10 minutes for our driver who did show up on time. Our car service was professionally dressed and friendly and courteous. As I said at the begining- we loved the location, the hotel itself, and the staff. As long as the prices stay reasonable we will not stay anywhere else on future trips.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 16th Floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LazNancy

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your detailed review from your recent stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back and we thank you for selecting our hotel as your new home away from home while traveling to NYC.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Had a great experience with a recent business trip to this property. I saw some great reviews on TripAdvisor so wanted to give this a shot.

First of all, make sure that everyone in your travel party knows that you are in fact staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on West 54th. Not the one on 35th Street or the one in Times Square and not the Hilton Midtown. And yes, my travel mates managed to book themselves at all different Garden Inn properties.

This hotel is literally 2 blocks from the Hilton Midtown so it's a good option if you want a Garden Inn but have business in the same general area. Location is great - close to a few train stations and walking distance to Central Park and Times Square. I picked it because it was close to customers that I was scheduled to visit.

This is a new hotel so everything was nice and crisp. I especially liked the Mirra chair in my room - quite comfortable. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was well stocked. You won't have a huge amount of room to spread out but for a business traveler, it was more than adequate. An ironing board, microwave, fridge and working Wi-Fi are important features when traveling. Now this is a personal preference but the high floors have great views - after all, why stay in Manhattan if you can't enjoy the skyline?

I enjoyed the remote printing feature - makes it easy to print even from a tablet or phone straight to one of their printers in the business center. I didn't try the attached restaurant or the gym as I had a really packed scheduled so I can't comment on those.

This hotel is tall but thin so you're room will be relatively close to the elevators. However, I didn't experience any noise issues. There one odd room on my floor that was between two elevators so that was unusual. Check-out and Check-in can be a little hectic with a lot of floors to cover and both guests and workers getting on and off. Service was pleasant and efficient so no complaints there.

All in all, great hotel for a business trip. Centrally located, comfortable rooms, free Wi-Fi, and good features for business travelers.

Room Tip: Easy, pick a high floor!
3  Thank no_map

Thank your review and taking time to share your feedback on our top notch service, amenities and location.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

This hotel opened three months ago and will be our place to go from now on. Location is super and service top notch. The room were small but well appointed. The beds very comfortable and the bathroom pristine and shower heavenly. One issue which really can't be fixed is the elevators. There are three and no service one, thus the poor ladies are standing waiting to use them and can't fit with clients. We did have to wait until mid-afternoon or later for room to be cleaned, but I think that this is due to the newness of the operation. When I needed something - my needs were met with graciousness. We stayed four nights in two rooms. One of the VERY BEST features was the breakfast at the adjoining Empire Steak House. No words to describe that other than OUTSTANDING - will try to write a separate review.

Room Tip: High up is always great - we were on 14th
2  Thank Mary Kay D

Thank you for your 5 star view and taking time to share the highlights of our hotel.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay. I booked one of the two junior suites they offer for 3 nights. I am Hilton Diamond and travel a lot. You get free breakfast buffet each day.

Hotel staff totally rocks. EXTREMELY helpful. Rooms are great and super clean. Love I can brew real coffee in the room when I wake up. The breakfast buffet needs some help. Fruit is not good, no yogurt offered and bacon is very undercooked. I asked each day for the bacon to be cooked more for me which they did. The service was excellent. The TV stations in the room are great, in HD and 4 ESPN channels. It was basketball time and needed to watch a few games.

The only reason I did not give the property 5 stars is the elevators and buffet. They do not have a service elevator and with all the people needing to get up and down it is suboptimal. You can tell the staff feels everyone's pain with this issue.

One odd is the bed is not the HGI type you can change the firmness with the dial. That was a let down as I love that option when I travel.

I would stay here again, but not with clients. I location is super perfect.

Room Tip: High floor. One day they were doing concrete work and you really wanted to be up high.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and your positive commentary on our staff. Please note that we have rectified the concerns with breakfast and we welcome you back so that we may exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

My stay started with a friendly and professional welcome and check in. I asked for a room on a high floor and they accommodated me on the 29th floor. The lobby is modern but welcoming with comfortable chairs and a fireplace in the lobby. My room was immaculately clean and bright; everything worked great; all of the electrical plugs were a nice touch to plug in all of the gadgets.

I will stay here again when I return to New York

1  Thank willgr26

Thank you for your review, we are pleased to learn that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back as our return guest.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My friend and I stayed in a Double Queen room March 12th-14th, 2014. We had gotten a great deal from TravelZoo before the hotel had been built. The reviews were pretty good but had a few complaints, so I didn't quite know what to expect; I'm very picky when it comes to staying in hotels that I'm not familiar with.

I am so glad to say this was the greatest hotel experience I've ever had! The staff were very friendly and courteous, especially those working at the front desk and those cleaning the rooms. Also, everyone spoke perfect and clear English, which is sometimes difficult to find in the city.

Most of the reviews I read about this hotel included complaints about the elevators running slow, so I was expecting a slow ride, but the elevators were extremely quick- probably the quickest I've ever been in. They only seem to run slow because the maintenance staff also has to run errands with them; they do not have a freight elevator. They hear they need one all the time, though (heard it being said to them multiple times from other guests), so you probably don't need to remind them as they cannot do anything about it.

We stayed in 1613, a corner room on the 16th floor. Everything was clean and organized to perfection. We didn't expect to have much space, as we had two queen beds, but there was enough room for two people to, comfortably, move about with two pieces of small luggage. The wardrobe has several hangers available to hang clothes, and the dressers seemed rather large, though we didn't put anything in them. The in-room Keurig and few complimentary K-Cups were a nice touch.

The bathroom has a very cool, yet shocking, mirror with a rectangle frame of white light around the edge; it made us look like we were on some sort of weird drug and it isn't ideal for putting on makeup, but the coolness factor ruled out how striking it was. The shower was roomy and had plenty of room for toiletries. The only reason I gave Rooms only 4 stars is because there is no fan in the bathroom, so the shower got very steamy (uncomfortably so) unless the door was ajar. This was not a huge problem for us, but it was a bit of an inconvenience.

I would DEFINITELY stay here again if another awesome deal came along. Great job, Hilton!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for your review and sharing that you had the best stay ever in our hotel. We pride ourselves on having the BEST customer service and the coolest, hippest hotel in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park
Courtyard by Marriott New York M...
#230 of 469 in New York City
Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
Residence Inn New York Manhattan...
#117 of 469 in New York City
Moderne Hotel
Moderne Hotel
#82 of 469 in New York City
Ameritania Hotel
Ameritania Hotel
#125 of 469 in New York City
Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square Central
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York ...
#5 of 33 in Long Island City

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West? Share your experiences!