“Home away from home in NYC”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #196 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Home away from home in NYC”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed here over Memorial Day weekend (23 – 26 May 2014) and had a great stay during my visit. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

- Hotel: I chose this hotel because of its amenities (kitchenette), location and price. The hotel is some 30 stories tall and the lobby is quite small; but considering the location, that’s probably quite common. The lobby has a front desk, a small sitting area and a small ‘market’ area that has water, soda, wine, snacks, etc. As others have commented, the elevators are slow, but they get you to where you are going…and are better than walking, in my opinion. The entire second floor of the hotel is the restaurant, bar and open seating area. It’s a really nice spot. I did not eat at the restaurant, but I did have drinks at the bar one afternoon. There is also a pool table and several televisions near the bar. On the other side of the room (away from the bar) there is a huge sitting area…almost resembling a library. Very quiet and spacious with oversized chairs and a few tables here and there. The restaurant is to the back of the room and is where breakfast is served. There is also a workout room and a guest laundry. I didn’t use either during my stay. Finally, one thing to note: After midnight, or so, the hotel locks the doors and you have to use your room key to get in the front door. Some might see that as annoying, but I saw it as a great security precaution.

-Rooms: My room had a small kitchenette at the entryway, a bathroom and bedroom area. The kitchenette had a full-size fridge (or at least dorm-room sized), microwave, coffee pot sink, dish washer as well as dishes, drinking and coffee cups and utensils. The bathroom was essentially a standard bathroom; I don’t recall anything special. The bedroom area did have a king-sized bed, a sofa with a small coffee table, flat screen TV and a small table with chairs for two. The table would be big enough for two to eat at or serves as a laptop space. Aside from that, the rooms are pretty standard. They weren’t as big as some rooms I’ve stayed in, but they are actually pretty good-sized…bigger than I was expecting. The reason behind staying in a hotel with a small kitchenette is the fridge and the coffee pot. Love ice cold water or Gatorade as soon as I wake up in the morning; hate putting on my slippers and ball cap, searching for twelve dollars in change and running down the hallway to get it. Love several cups of fresh coffee in the morning before I present myself to the world; hate ordering it from room service for nine dollars, putting on slippers and ball cap, waiting….still waiting… and only getting about two-and-a-half cups out of the carafe.

- Staff: Once again, the staff was great. I’ll start by saying that I didn’t check into the hotel until almost 11pm on Thursday night. I was quite tired. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted by a wonderful young lady who was quick to ask how my trip was, get my room key ready and inform me that she had moved me to a room with a view of the empire state building. I had a few questions for her, as I normally do when I check-in somewhere new, and she answered each one patiently. She also informed me that there was a 24 hour market one block away where I was able to get some staples before settling in for the evening. Before I departed, she equipped me with a complimentary small bottle of wine. I am rarely greeted at hotels in that fashion. What a way to be welcomed to NYC. There was generally another employee in the lobby at all times willing to help with the elevator door, offer directions and answer questions about the subway system, the bus system and the best transportation back and forth to the airport. Finally, when I checked out of the hotel, I still had a subway pass that was good for another three days and a coupon book with some discounted tickets (CityPass…look into it) that I left with the front desk folks as a way of saying ‘thank you’ for their hospitality.

- Location: Another reason I selected this hotel was its location. The hotel is located at the corner of 39th and 6th (Avenue of the America’s). Bryant Park is one block north on 6th and is a Metro (subway) stop for certain lines (the ones I used the most). Macy’s is about four block south; Empire State building is eight blocks south, Union Station is 5 blocks north and Time Square is about seven blocks north. The hotel is very centrally located to many of the tourist attractions.

- LGA Transfer and other travel stuff: I’m including this section in my review because this is the area that I spent the most time ensuring I understood. [There is another person on Trip Advisor that says he’s a retired transit cop (GreenWhiteBlue is his moniker and his series is ‘The idiot’s guide to the subway’) and I found his two or three part series article the most helpful.] First was my transportation to and from LaGuardia. I was going to take the subway to and from, but I was a little confused as to what terminal the Metro Pass machine was located in. In the end, I ended up making on-line reservations on the NYC Transporter bus. I was able to reserve my ticket for about $23. LGA has an area outside of baggage claim where the NYC Transporter picks up. It probably took us 45 minutes to get into downtown…if that. They dropped me off at Bryant Park. I only had to walk a block to get to the hotel. I will say apparently they’ve started making rigid-frame busses because you could feel every bump. But it was fast and efficient. I went to Bryant Park station the next morning and purchased the one week pass for $39. As I mentioned earlier, I was only there for a few days, didn’t want the hassle of purchasing each trip or day and had already decided to hand the card off to someone who could use it when I left. Grab a subway map, ensure you are on the right line (listed at the entry to every subway stop) and take off. In almost all of the subways I rode, there is a map with a little lit bulb that shows all the stops on that line. As you approach a stop, the light blinks. When you leave the stop, the light goes out and you know the direction you are headed and how many more stops to yours. The worst case scenario is you might head in the wrong direction the first time or when you come up at your destination you may walk a block or two in the wrong direction, but overall it was a great experience. No trouble on the subways at all. There are performers (dancers, beggars and singers on my trip) but no hostility toward anyone and the singers had amazing harmony. Finally, on the way back to the airport, I took a cab. When I walked out of the hotel, there were a number of them parked right in front, just waiting. It only cost me about $28 dollars and was much faster…partly because there was very little traffic as it was Memorial Day.

Room Tip: I stayed in a south-facing room with views of Empire State.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BAHShooter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Duncan, South Carolina
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Booked two rooms for our large family with kids. This place is a great value especially if you travel with kids. The rooms are large and worked well for our family. There is one significant drawback to this hotel: elevators for breakfast. We left our room for breakfast and waited and waited to get to the third floor. The breakfast floor was more crowded than time square. Only part of my family made it through the line and into the food area before it was closed down. Waste of time, and limits what we see as a great value of the stay, starting out the kids with a good breakfast. This hotel has a great location with large rooms, but this breakfast issue is a big one for me. They need to rethink this breakfast offering, and do something different. Even after we got our food, no open seat to eat! They could add seating or something to help. This made for an unnecessarily hectic and dissatisfying start to our day. By the last day, we stopped trying and found other options, but even if you skip the chaos of the third floor, you still have to wait and wait for elevator service.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Bradford L
Christina V, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hello Bradford L,
Thank you for reviewing my hotel of your family experience with us here In New York City! It is great to hear our spacious rooms worked well for your family’s stay! I am sorry to hear that the elevators were running slow during the breakfast hours. We like to inform our guest that on the weekends during the breakfast hours to allow 10-15 minutes for the elevators due to high demands. The complimentary breakfast buffet is my favorite and I always suggest to stop by and check it out! We hope to see you on your next trip to NYC!
Ashley Deichert
Guest Relations Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We love everything about this hotel - the location (midtown Manhattan, near Times Square, Bryant Park and Macy's), room size (all rooms have a sleeper sofa and full-sized fridge), bed (comfy - with one exception - see below), and most of all, AWESOME staff. Prior to our stay, I had emailed that we would be there over our daughter's 10th birthday, and we found chocolate chip cookies and milk in our room the night of her birthday. That gesture made our daughter (and us!) feel so special. Christina V at the front desk is the best and needs to be recognized for her ability to make all guests feel welcome.

I have one minor complaint, but I'm not blaming on it on the hotel, as it seems to be a new thing all Marriotts are doing. One of the sheets on the bed was not soft at all - it was downright crinkly. I've seen other reviews of different Marriott locations so maybe it's a brand-wide thing. We pushed it out of the way and were much happier.

Green Features: Rooms are cleaned everyday, but the towels and bedding are not necessarily replaced. I applaud Marriott's efforts to help the environment. No one washes their sheets every day at home - so why should a hotel?
1 Thank LizTravels_13
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for the 4th of July weekend, starting Thursday July 3rd for 4 nights. The hotel is superbly located, very close to Times Square on Avenue of Americas.

Our check-in process was quite smooth; however we had to wait till 2:45 in the afternoon to get our room. We were asked to wait in the business center on the 3rd floor that had two fixed computers with internet access. So we were quite ok.

We had a studio apartment, with one queen size bed and another sofa bed. The room was of moderate size. The bathroom however was quite tiny compared to the size of the room. The view from the room was very nice. The 1st night we asked for extra pillows and our request was promptly responded to.

Breakfast was on the 3rd floor (same place as the Business Center). We found the lines very long, but they moved pretty fast. The managers on the spot were very efficient in making sure the various items were well stocked. We never had to wait for an item to be refilled. With more than 100 people in the breakfast area at a time, the whole process was managed super efficiently.

The only issue with the hotel, if can mention one, is the availability of elevators, especially during the breakfast hours. Most guests had to wait for 10-15 minutes to get an elevator. One of the days, I had to walk down the stairs and get the elevator from ground level.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank DR_DD
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked in for a week to relax in NYC after a6 weeks of travelling through NorthAmerica and we were very disappointed with the standard of accommodation and the delay in rectifying the serious faults with our room. The first night the floor was flooded due to the air conditioning and the shower did not work either.. We had to dry our clothes in our soaked bag ourselves and in trying to fix the a/c they disconnected it so that we sweltered through the next night at 80 degrees and no window to open. The TV also didn't work and couldn't be replaced plus the shower wasn't fixed. On the 3rd day we were moved to another room, so much for a hassle free non packing stay in NYC. No refund of our fees and poor service for a Marriott member which we are reconsidering. I did provide feedback on returning home but have heard nothing further from them

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bill L
Christina V, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hello Bill L,

Thank you for your review. This is certainly not the experience we want any of our guests to have. We would like to make it up to you. Can you please reach out to me with more details so I can further investigate this matter. Please feel free to email me directly at Ashley.Deichert@marriott.com or you can call me at 212-380-5019. I look forward to hearing from you, and getting this problem resolved.

Ashley Deichert
Guest Relations Manager
Montreal
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Hotel is in a great location, it is within walking distance from Times Square, Grand Central Station and the Empire State building. It is one block away from a subway station and market.

We were up on the 34th floor so we had a very nice view.
The room is big and clean, although the bathroom is quite small. It has a very nice kitchen but unfortunately no stovetop.

The breakfast was very good with lots of variety to choose from. We stayed 2 days and the menu was actually different on the second day.

1 Thank LinaM1
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed here during the 4th of July weekend 2014. Very good value for your money and I'd give it a 5 were it not for the slow and crowded elevators and some rude staff.

1. Location - Excellent;
2. Rooms - generous space by New York standards; clean with a nice small kitchen, microwave, coffee maker & refrigerator;
3. Elevators - only 4 elevators servicing all those floors and rooms; wait is bad during peak hours - i.e., mornings and early evenings;
4. Hotel Guests - lots of children so expect some (or a lot of) noise (it was fine with me but might not be with other people; some children were crying late at night but that's just how children are);
5. Breakfast - selection was very good but way too many people having breakfast at the same time. It was kind of difficult looking for a place to sit and eat. We took the elevator from the 27th floor during breakfast time and it literally stopped in every floor going to the 3rd floor.
6. Staff - - some were nice and helpful, others were downright rude (in my case, the concierge was just unfriendly and snobbish!)

2 Thank ktr614