“Great place to stay right in the centre of things”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #210 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We moved here after one disastrous night in a substandard hotel elsewhere. It was a wonderful change and made us feel much happier about our trip. The room we stayed in had a wonderful view of the Empire state building. we were on the 12th floor which was fine as the lift was quick once it arrived! The room included a well stocked kitchenette with microwave, coffeee machine, large fridge freezer, and lots of cooking pots etc. there was even a dishwasher which the room cleaner loaded and put on if required. The bed was gigantic and there was a comfortable seating area too.
Breakfast was included. This was a little disappointing with some rather tasteless limp food self-served on paper plates with plastic utensils.However it was free and you did not have to eat it.
we had one night when our neighbours had what sounded like a party. I called the duty manager who immediately sent security up to ask them to quieten down - which they did. When mentioned it the next morning, they knocked $100 of our bill! I thought this was very fair treatment.
All in a good place to stay which gives you the chance to heat up your doggy bag of food left over from the huge meals you are presented with when you eat out!
By the way there is an excellent Deli if you turn right out of the hotel door - on the next corner!

Room Tip: Higher rooms might have even better views but hard to beat ours on 12th!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley D, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Hello Katemanley,

Thank you for your review about my hotel for potential visitors. It is great to hear you had a room with the Empire State view, and enjoyed the large room and bed that each room has to accommodate the guests. Being a hotel in New York City you might end up with some people here to party, and it sounded like the guest on the same floor as you were here just to do that. I am happy we could resolve your problem and left with a happy resolution. We hope to see you again soon in New York City.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were traveling with family so we got a suite with two double beds. The room was huge by NYC standards and the rate was excellent. Anytime you can stay in NYC (over the weekend) at a decent hotel for under $200/night, you're doing pretty well. Even the beds seemed larger than the standard double. Breakfast was included, and offered pretty much anything you wanted, including pancakes and waffles. Great location put us in the middle of everything, but since we were on 6th Avenue, we weren't overrun by the Times Square tourists.

Room Tip: I think the doubles may actually be larger than the kings . . .
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Ashley D, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hello IlProfessore21212,

Thank you for you kind review of your stay at my hotel. We are happy that you and your family enjoyed the oversized rooms with the large beds to accommodate your family. The extensive complimentary breakfast buffet is my favorite epically the waffle station! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for a family weekend NYC getaway. On the one hand, it was a good buy for New York; on the other hand, you are getting a fairly average hotel for the extravagant costs you pay in New York City for a hotel room that is small by other cities' standards. So with the understanding that New York hotel rooms are overpriced and undersized, this was a decent option.

The location was safe and convenient to Penn Station, Broadway and Times Square. Bathroom was small but clean, but I did notice the outlet needed maintenance's attention. Beds were so-so comfortable; not terrible but not great. The room itself was clean.

Breakfast was overcrowded and the elevators to/from it were very slow. They even have a sign up about this in the elevator, so they are aware of the problem. I noticed that the staffers working the hotel breakfast were slow to do things like replenish empty fork and coffee containers.

We did not have any problems with outside noise.

A nice touch - the hotel sent up a slice of birthday cake for one of my daughters. (I had noted on the online reservation the trip was for her birthday).

All in all, a good choice for New York, but I don't feel I got my money's worth when I compare it to hotels across the country that I have spent less at.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KennyFanFairfax

Hello KennyFanFairfax,

Thank you for your input on your stay with us. We are happy you choose to stay with us for your daughter’s birthday, and enjoyed the cake we sent up to celebrate. The breakfast can get crowded at time with the high occupancy, but the line usually moves very quickly being that it is buffet style. We hope to see you again next year for your Birthday!

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on 29th floor. Used my reward points for my stay. Staff was very nice and kitchen staff very helpful in morning for breakfast buffet. Good location to Bryant Park and Fashion District and Time Square, also convenient to Penn Station (Amtrak)
We had loud and noisy girls next door. The rooms could use sound proofing, as not everyone is conscientious of neighbors at 1, 2 or 3 am. Rooms could use updating. But all in all, not bad. We did not get a view but didn't really care, as we were using the room for sleep and showers.

• Stayed: March 2013

Hello MaryQ1972,

Thank you for your review about my hotel for potential visitors. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location that is conveniently located to Penn Station where the Amtrak trains are also located. Happy to hear the complimentary breakfast was helpful for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed one night before having to catch an early Amtrak train from Penn station. Check in was quick. The staff was able to give me directions to a few restaurants. The block is great and has great choices and lots of shops.
The room is a nice size. I had the studio and it was lovely. No noise from other rooms and all the appliances in the kitchen were great.
The little shop inside the hotel is pricey if you are just wanting a soda so you may want to take a walk around outside. I missed breakfast because of my early train but the staff was nice. The location is amazing. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bmoregirl

Hello bmoregirl,

Thank you for your review about my hotel for potential visitors. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location that is conveniently located to Penn Station and all the subway lines. I agree that our hotel rooms are spacious for New York City size. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I work a hotel so I tend to judge hotels a little more that most people. I stayed here one night in August last year and it was amazing. We were given a room with a veiw of the empire state building and the room was suprisingly spacious for a NYC hotel. Room was very clean and well kept. Everything worked and the breakfast was decent for a free breakfast. The fresh cut fruit was nice as most places put out the preserved fruit cocktails. We didn't spend much time in the hotel as we were walking around all day in museums and aroud time square but it was a perfect place to rest our sore feet when we were ready for some rest. Will come back once my wife and I return to New York.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Ashley D, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Hello Doogie86,

Thank you for your review of my hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the spacious hotel rooms we have they are hard to come by in New York City. Please let me know before you and your wife return and we can get you the same view.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is everything you could possibly want in NYC or any other city. Perfect location, totally secure, service at world class levels, a club floor that is welcoming, great breakfast, and a spacious room with a full kitchen for those of us who like to relax with a late supper after a busy day in Manhattan. This property gets an unqualified "thumbs up" from this traveler and his wife. We have no "downsides" to report--just an all around good experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello george_shepard,

Thank you for your wonderful review for potential visitors. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenient location and breakfast buffet. We pride ourselves on keeping a secure environment for our guest, and happy to see your recognized this! We hope to see you here again in the near future.

Guest Relation Manager