“Location, Value, Quality”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #217 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights just before Christmas, and we enjoyed it very much.

The hotel delivers in location, value and quality and when combined with very warm and friendly staff, well.....for NYC the hotel gets the "excellent" rating.

Location was excellent for us, two blocks from Times Square, one block from Bryant Park (with our favorite Christmas Market and the Subway), walking distance to Herald Square, Penn Station and Rockefeller Centre. We got an upgrade to a corner room and from one angle we could see the Chrysler Building and from another we could see a small part of the Empire State Building.

Value was excellent, the rooms are bigger than your usual NYC room and featured a small kitchen area with a drip coffee machine, a Keurig Coffee maker, Microwave and huge fridge. There was a small bar area, and couch and lounge chair. The bathroom was a bit cramped, but the room had plenty of space, for us it was a good trade off. To top it of, there was free WiFi and a very nice complementary breakfast, much more choice than we expected.

Quality was excellent, although the rooms did show some age and the decor and style was a bit dated, everything worked perfectly. The beds was very comfortable. There was a concierge desk, the small market and a lounge area with TV's, and the place felt very secure.

We have stayed at several different Marriott properties in NYC, and we like the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge a lot, but given this was winter and we wanted to be close to the "action" this was a more convenient choice, and next time, this was is on top of our list.

Room Tip: This is NYC, go for as high a floor as possible, and although we liked the corner room, I am not sur...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear orp:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad you had such a great experience staying with us! It's nice to hear we were able to deliver in both accommodations and service.

I will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. Please be sure to let me know the next time you'll be returning to New York City.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,503)

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights in two rooms just before Xmas. It is a great location for all we wanted to see and do. I dealt with a wonderful concerige named Aanielle who was very knowledgeable about getting around the city and getting our transportation back to LGA at a reasonable price and comfort level. The hot breakfast was great and really started our day off right. The only complaint I have is when I called the front desk for a cheap eat for dinner they did not suggest the Bryant Street Market within the same block. I found that on my own and wished I had found it sooner! Great place for a light meal to bring back to the hotel after a tiring day. We definitely would recommend this hotel due to the location and the staff. We felt safe at the hotel. Willl definitely stay at this hotel if in NYC again.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and had a great view of Bryant Park.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear pudgefan2:

Thank you for posting your review of my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm glad to hear you and your family had such a great stay.

I'm sorry we didn’t send you to the market on our block sooner; it is a great place to grab a quick bite! I'll be sure to share your kind words with our Concierge as well. Please let me know the next time your travels bring you to New York City.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We had a very positive experience at the Residence Inn. Ryan Cortese (guest Mgr?) was very accommodating and getting us into a room that had a direct view of the Empire State Building...other reviews mentioned any room that ends in 06. We were in 1508 and was like being on the 45 yard line vs the 50 yard line so we were very happy. The buffet was very good and was like a glorified continental breakfast. The lines were fairly long but move quickly. The location was very convenient and central to a lot of things. We had a toddler so the galley kitchen was perfect. There is the Bryant Market one block away which is great and next to that is a great pizza place that you can get a large cheese for $8. The front desk staff is very helpful too. The only small issue is that if you are looking for a luxury hotel, there are better options. The rooms probably need new carpet and some refreshing but it didn't bother us. I also had my brother and his family stay here and there were very satisfied as well. We would go back again! Cheers!

Room Tip: As others said, rooms that end in 06 are best for south view of Empire State building. 08 worked jus...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear JollyGoodFellas:

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad to hear you and your family had such a great stay and enjoyed the view from your room! Thank you for sharing your photos as well. Please be sure to let know if you'll be staying with us again in the near future.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We ( husband, daughter and son-in-law)Checked into our two rooms Dec. 23rd. Although we arrived at 7pm...our room had food from previous guests in fridge. My daughter's room had luggage and belongings from the guests who had not yet checked out. We both moved rooms. The next room we moved all the windows were open...and it smelled like smoke. We moved again. Although we requested feather free room with reservation, they had exhausted all foam pillows at the hotel. It appears they must have purchased some during that night as they delivered some next day. Xmas eve morning, lines for breakfast were so long, we decided to just grab coffee. All six coffee pots were empty. They just seemed overwhelmed. Every one of the hotel employees was pleasant and responsive, but clearly overwhelmed. We have stayed at many Marriott properties, and had very good experiences. This was quite disappointing for our annual Xmas trip and stay in NYC.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicky D

Dear Vicky D:

Thank you for posting your review of my hotel for potential visitors. I'm sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant experience with us. I can assure you these were isolated instances and not customary of the service we offer our guests. Pleas don’t hesitate contacting me at 212-768-0007 if you would like to further discuss your visit.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We spent a delightful few days in New York City, seeing the sights and exploring the culture - Our arrival at the hotel was smooth and we got checked in without any hassles at all. The staff were helpful, and spotting our obvious tourist status, pointed us in the direction of the main sites.

Calling it the "Times Square" residence inn is having a bit of a laugh, as it's a good four blocks away, but to be honest, it's perfectly located - a short walk to the UN, Grand Central Station, Times Square and right on Bryant Park and the Central Library.

New York is an incredible place to visit - clearly one of the best cities in the world, and this Hotel is a great base to see it all from. Being able to look out the window and see the Empire State was the icing on the cake.

It's just what you need - a comfy bed, good shower, a fridge and basic facilities with WiFi.

Room Tip: Higher is better, and you want to be on the south side of the building (towards the tip of manhattan...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear TheoJones:

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to New York City and found our hotel conveniently located. I hope you'll visit with us again in the near future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here Dec 6-9 for Christmas sightseeing and couldn't have been happier. The location was within a short walking distance to almost everything you want to see except the 9-11 memorial and there was a subway stop just a block away. The hotel was clean and quiet and the hot buffet breakfast really jump-started our day. We also took advantage of the free internet and lobby kiosk to print boarding passes. The concierge arranged for a car for the return trip to LaGuardia and they showed up right on time and it was not more than a taxi would have been. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a hall away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Glenda R:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. It's so nice to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. Please be sure to let me know the next time your travels bring you to New York City.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed a Saturday and Sunday weekend on a trip up to see the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. We were a short six block walk from Penn Station, a brisk ten blocks from Rockerfeller Center, two blocks from the market at Bryant Park and just down the street from Macy's. Clearly a great central location for the Theater district, shopping or dining. The front desk was very friendly, breakfast buffet was very extensive and promptly refilled. Bar was nice and service good as well. The rooms are spacious as the set up is for longer-term stays and therefore there is extra space, a frig, a large bathroom, and the rooms are pretty quiet. Will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Best view is above the15th floor.
1  Thank happyg68

Dear happyg68:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I’m so glad to hear you found our location convenient and would stay with us again! I’ll be sure to share your kind words with both our front desk and bar staff. Please be sure to let me know when you'll be returning.