“Great hotel but check that your phone works!!”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #211 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 3, 2012

As everyone mentioned, the hotel is great. Perfect location, great free breakfast (and not as crowded as I was expecting from other reviews), friendly service, comfy beds and very nice/spacious rooms.

On our first morning, my parents didn't get their wake up call and we missed the first part of a very expensive tour. If it weren't a private tour, we'd have missed the whole thing. Turns out, their calls went to another room, which we later figured out. The phone in my room was also wacky and the cordless one didn't work at all. We understand accidents happen, but I recommend using other methods to wake yourself up and double check that our phones work! It definitely spoiled the morning .... But could have been a much bigger disaster!

I also asked for both bills to go to my room (not slipped under my parents) and that did not happen. But everyone there was friendly and good to deal with.

I'd stay again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank beckyatx
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear beckyatx:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. I'm glad to hear you would stay with us again despite a few hiccups. I will be sure to speak with both my engineering department and front desk team regarding your concerns.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful visit to New York City and enjoyed all that the city has to offer! Please let me know if you do decide to visit with us again.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,451)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My son, his friend and I stayed in this hotel for one night. We found the hotel to be clean and well maintained. Of course, the room was not nearly the size one expects from a Residence Inn, but this is New York City after all. This is a great location, only blocks from Times Square and right next to Bryant Park. The service was friendly, efficient and accommodating. The breakfast buffet was very good, and the food kept coming. The way the dining area is run, lines are short. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again. Do ask for an upper floor if you do not want street noise....but street noise is much less than it used to be before the anti-honking ordinances were employed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Vb D:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. It's nice to hear you would highly recommend the Residence Inn and would stay with us again. I'm glad you had such an excellent stay! Please let me know the next time you'll be visiting.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I took my 2 sons ( 21 & 17) to NYC for the Macy's Day Parade. Stayed at this hotel. It was fabulous. Directly on the parade route, extremely large rooms for NYC, excellent location for metro, Times Square, shopping. Without a doubt, I will stay here again. The breakfast - included with your room rate - is unbelievable as well! Full breakfast buffet -- not just cold cereal and danish. Super friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sunseekerinsc

Dear sunseekerinsc:

Thank you for posting your review of my hotel for Trip Advisor readers. I'm so glad to hear you and your sons had such a wonderful stay. The weather was great for the parade this year; I hope you enjoyed it! Please be sure to let me know when you'll be visiting us again.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have no complaints about this hotel, it was very large, with a kitchen, 2 queen beds, very clean, helpful staff, every shower was hot, delicious complementary breakfast. 5 minute walk to Times Square, Top of the Rock, and Empire State Building. We stayed on the 32nd floor, had a view of the Statue of Liberty. Awesome location, service, and room quality. This will be my go-to NYC vacation hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer W
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Jennifer W:

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel for potential visitors. It's so nice to hear you and your friends had such a wonderful stay! Please be sure to let me know the next time you'll be visiting.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We first stayed in Fairfield Inn two blocks away on 37th st., which lost power and therefore telephone and water in superstorm Sandy. We had been trying to find another hotel, but Marriott Central Reservation stated none available in Manhattan. We walked over to this hotel hoping to find a room. The receptionist said, come back at 1 p.m. Maybe. So we did, He said, sorry, none available. Then we asked, when? Answer maybe at 3 p.m. So we walked out rather unhappy. 2 minutes later he is running after us: "a room is available". This was a fantastic relief after the bad situation in the Fairfield Inn,

The rooms are much more spacious than those in the Fairfield Inn. Equipped (as usual) with croockery and cutlery. (Nt that much food could be bought on the streets in the aftermath of Sandy.). The hotel is very large, so during breakfast crowds could and did happen.

Breakfast menu is acceptable with some limitations, no waffles for example and the usual bad coffee characterizing most of these establishments . For 5 o'clock the only thing they provide is a reduction in their booze price. No food, no free drinks.

We stayed in the hotel on miles. Had we wanted to stay for one more day, the price (then) would have been $550 per night (!!!)

In summary, Residence Inn gave us a refuge from Sandy, we are grateful for that. Their attitude towards providing the"freebies" of breakfast and happy hour are on the cheap side

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas B

Dear tomber:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm so glad we were able to accommodate you during such an extraordinary week. We were very fortunate to maintain power during the entire storm and were able to house many displaced residents and tourists. I hope you will visit with us again the next time your travels bring you to New York City.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My stay here was amazing..... walking distance from EVERYTHING... well worth the price.. The hotel staff were very accomadating, polite, and so very helpful... from hailing cabs to holding our luggage... The 3rd floor breakfast was a continetial dream, very relaxing .... everything under lock and key even to the elevator from floor 3 up.... We loved it here and plan to stay again, when we return in November 2013 for the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Penny M

Dear Penny M:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay and plan to visit us again for next year's Thanksgiving Day parade! I'll be sure to share your kind words with our staff.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My family and I stayed here for a week, taking interconnecting rooms. We can recommend it as quiet, well located and (for New York) reasonably priced.

There is not much I can add to what other reviewers have said. Instead, I'd like to dwell on location - do not under any circumstances under-estimate the value of a good location in New York. Some of the real positives about this hotel is that:
* You can shop at the (admittedly up-market) Grand Central markets for a nice dinner.
* Times Square is an easy walk, so too the theatres, but you are not stuck in the middle of that chaos.
* There are brilliant views that can be had from this hotel - ours had a tremendous one of the Empire State Building.
* You can walk down to the shops around 34th - eg Macy's.
* There are a range of easy-walk subway options.
* It really is no drama to walk as far as Central Park if you like - we did twice.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have an advantage over lower in the sense that the lifts can get very busy in the m...