“Still as wonderful as ever....”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #197 of 466 Hotels in New York City
San Jose, California
“Still as wonderful as ever....”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I just returned from my 3rd visit to this wonderful hotel. My husband and I went 2 1/2 years ago, 1 1/2 years ago I went with my mom and daughter and last week I returned from another visit with my husband. This hotel continues to exceed our expectations. I love the location, the staff, the room and the great breakfast buffet. We had a room on the 30th floor with a fantastic view of the Empire State Building. There's not much I can add from my precious reviews but I can say that we will continue coming here and we are already planning our next visit.

I love how close you are to everything and if you want to take the subway it's only a couple minutes away. We did alot of walking this trip and enjoyed exploring NY. We saw Wicked...I highly recommend this and it is within walking distance. We went on a fun food tour in Greenwich Village and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge....just a few fun hilights of our trip. There is a great chinese restaurant almost next door wtih great prices (Main Noodle House). For the best deli sandwiches try Katz's Deli...we walked there which took forever but we were good and hungry when we got there! Joe's Pizza in Greenwich Village and John's Pizzaria off 44th in Times Square had delicious pizzas. I think we stopped at Junior's Cheesecake every night for the tastiest Blueberry Cheesecake! There are so many fun things to do in NY and it was great to have the Residence Inn by Marriott to come back to everynight! We will be back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear babushka721:

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel for potential visitors. It's so nice to hear you love the Residence Inn and continue to stay with us! It sounds like you did quite a bit during this visit and made your way around the city! Thank you again for sharing your experiences at my hotel. Please be sure to let me know when you'll be returning.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I couldn't believe we were in New York, our room was huge, with kitchenette, sitting area and king size bed. We had a great view of Bryant Park and of one of the towers around Times Square. The hotel is a block from Broadway and then a couple blocks from Times Square. We walked to all of our shows and spent a lot of time in Times Square. Walking back to the hotel at night, we had great views of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building all lit up. There are several subway stations nearby, with one right across the street.

Security in the hotel was excellent, with someone "standing guard" next to the desk every evening.

The free breakfast was not fine dining, but had a large selection of hot and cold items and it was FREE!

The only caution is using the concierge to book tickets. We inquired about one tour and found the hotel to be significantly more than purchasing tickets online. We asked her about it and she just said no problem and directed us to the computer terminals and printer on the third floor for printing tickets.

The rooms are pricey, but we were able to use our timeshare points, which was a real treat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear MFRTravelers:

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful stay and found our location convenient. Being just a short walk from most Broadway theaters and many great restaurants; there is never a shortage of things to do and see in the neighborhood.

It’s nice to hear our larger than average rooms met your travel needs and that you enjoyed our full complimentary breakfast. I hope you'll visit with us again!

Mangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for two months. Loved my stay. The staff was very friendly. Free breakfast buffet is very nice. Also has a nice bar and a pool table. Rooms were serviced everyday.kitchen is nice with all the necessities. Midst of all its situated very close to empire state building, times square, herald square and Bryant park.subway station is right outside. Loved it all!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank 20thcenturyfox
Dear 20thcenturyfox:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm so glad to hear we were able to meet your travel needs and you enjoyed your two month stay with us. We understand that being away from home for that long can be very difficult; therefore we do our very best to ensure guests feel comfortable and welcome in such a large city. I hope you will visit with us again the next time your travels bring you to New York City!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Conveniently located hotel, close to great restaurants, walking distance to Times Square, Rockerfeller Center, Central Park, too. Great view of the city if you're on a high floor. Complimentary breakfast is wholesome, lots of choice, and eating area is comfortable and clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Gaylien:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad to hear you and your friends enjoyed our convenient location. I hope you enjoyed much of what the neighborhood has to offer!

Halifax
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just got back from a 3 night stay at this property. Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel and my experience there. I've stayed in several other Residence Inn properties throughout the U.S. and this one is comparable.
The lobby area is a bit small but we arrived mid day so it wasn't too crowded. Our rooms weren't ready so the guest agent (Tino??) suggested storing our bags with the bellman and heading out for lunch. He asked for a cell phone number and called me when our rooms were ready which was nice. I had reserved 2 king studio suites and asked to be in close proximity to one another and he made sure they were side by side! We were on the 31st floor and had expansive views of the Empire State Building and 6th Ave. Especially beautiful at night.
The rooms were large by NYC standards but the bathroom was TINY. Barely enough room to get the door open past the sink and toilet. Not very useful when you have 4 girls sharing a bathroom!! The carpets in the room were a bit worn and draperies needed to be cleaned.
The king bed was super comfy with lots of pillows and triple sheeting. The biggest downfall of the room was the quality of the pull out sofabed. The mattress was thin and well worn which allowed the springs underneath to push through making it feel like you were sleeping on a bag of nails! This made for a very uncomfortable nights sleep. In hindsight, we should have gone with a regular room with 2 double beds as we didn't end up using the kitchenette.
Breakfast was included in the room rate and was top notch! A huge range of choices for even the pickiest eater/food allergies- oatmeal, eggs, bacon, waffles and pancakes and several types of fresh fruit and yogurt. The coffee could have been stronger but there was Starbucks served in the lobby (for a fee). Keep an eye on the breakfast hours and they ended a bit earlier then I thought they would.
The location was fantastic being between the Fashion District and Times Square/Broadway. Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes!!
This hotel was great and I would return again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite as it has a better lay-out.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jccHalifax
Dear jccHalifax:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your girl’s weekend and would return. Please let me know the next time you'll be visiting.

Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

First off all the rooms are huge. Having a kitchen and free breakfast w the room is always a plus! I mean who does that in NYC?! Parking around here is not too difficult depending on what time you get in.
The hotel is in the fashion district area therefore you can do some trinket shopping but your smack in the middle so you wanna either go to the east side to drink and have a good night life or west to have a good night life. Either way this hotel is ideal to stay at. There is a bar on the 3rd floor in case you want to take it easy and stay indoors.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank RKMax
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear RKMax:

Thank you for posting your review of my hotel on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a great visit to New York City. I'm so glad you found our location convenient and our rooms larger than most. I hope you'll stay with us again.

Massachusetts
Reviewed September 23, 2012

On a week in NYC when no hotel room was available for
< $235/night, I bid $176 on Priceline for this perfect Thursday night staycation. Not much to add to other positive reviews. Wonderful staff, larger-than-usual room with kitchenette, very comfortable bed, and sumptuous complimentary buffet breakfast in an era when most boutique hotels can barely manage a small cup of yogurt. Oh, and an early check in at 1 PM with no hassle at all. No downside to this visit at all! Most highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear cootmom:

Thank you for reviewing and recommending my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. It’s so nice to hear you had such a great stay! I'll be sure you share your kind words with our staff. I hope you'll visit with us again soon.