“Great Hotel/Great Location”

Ranked #197 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dallas, Texas
“Great Hotel/Great Location”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Spent a few days over Labor Day at this hotel. It's very close to everything (Times Square, Empire State Building, Herald Square) but not in the middle of the madhouse that Manhattan can be. It's close to Bryan Park which is loverly to sit out and take a break from the city.

My suite was quite big for NY standards. The bathroom was clean and she shower had good water pressure. The bed was very comfortable and there was lil to zero noise coming from the city. I slept in both nights I was there so I didn't require housekeeping.

The breakfast area gets very busy on a morning so it's advisable to go early or just before they close. Typical hotel buffet breakfast but everything was fresh and the attendant paid close attention to the levels and the cleanliness of the area. There's lots of space to sit but you can always take your food to your room.

Safety is good as you must have your room key to go up. I did have a friend come over and the lobby security guard was a bit mouthy and confrontational, even after I showed him my room key, he just kept rambling on. Not a huge deal.

This is a great place to stay especially if you don't want to be in the zoo of people at Times Square. Almost everything is a quick short walk away and the D train stops one block over.

Room Tip: avoid breakfast at peak times. It gets crowded and the elevator stops on every floor on the way to t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear stefanwt:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm so glad to hear you had such a great visit and enjoyed our convenient location. Your breakfast tip to potential visitors is great; our third floor breakfast area can become quite busy at peak times and on weekends. We always suggest guests arrive a little earlier than anticipated. Thank you again for your review. I hope you'll visit with us in the future!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Massillon, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed at the Residence Inn this weekend and what a great location, great staff, great hotel. Actually they got us in a room at 8:00 am which was tremendously appreciated. Staff was super nice, professional and helpful. Breakfast was wonderful. Being we had a late flight out, they held our luggage so we could get the last bit of shopping done. Room was even big enough for three women! Bathroom quarters were a little tight but it worked. Thanks Marriott for making this a memorable trip to the Big Apple.

Dear Judy P:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm so glad you and your family had such a memorable visit to New York City! I'll be sure to share your kind words with our staff. I hope you’ll visit with us again.

Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Residence Inn TImes Square.. is only several blocks away from the TKTS booth at Times Square and all the Broadway theaters... but it's delightfully removed FROM the hustle and hassle OF Times Square..Yes the rooms are somewhat "cozy" sized.. but this is New York and not Kansas..but they're also bigger than many in the city at twice the price. They're spotlessly clean, with a comfortable bed, a spotless bathroom, and maybe a bit of a view if you're on a high floor--but who comes to New York to stay in the room all day anyway. The 6th Ave subway is right outside the door, the 7th Ave/B'way IRT around the corner for easy access to all of the City... but a mere block away is the absolute wonder of Bryant Park--a delicious Oasis in the middle of the CIty, and maybe my favorite park in New York (although the Highline-especially the new section-- comes close). And if your strolling through or taking outside lunch in Bryant Park.. don't miss the beauty of the top floor reading room at the NY Public Library which the park backs up to if you've never been. Or just bring your final cup of morning coffee from the hotel after breakfast and come sit in the park for a few minutes before you begin your day's plunge into the joys of New York. Macy's, H&M an Herald Square are a five minute walk, and Lord&Taylor and mid 5th Ave five mins. in the other direction. Breakfast--the superb buffet and inviting warm club atmosphere of the breakfast room at this Res. Inn are only one more reason to stay here. Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen and some wonderful mid priced restaurants are ten to fifteen mins. on foot. The lobby's nothing to write home about visually, little seating (but that's the norm for many in city hotels of this type, since it discourages non-guests from making themselves too at home)--yet the front desk staff is friendly, courteous, knowledgeable and efficient. My partner and I were totally satisfied with our two night stay....I'm torn between four and five stars here since there are many true five star hotels in New York. But for the price, the value and what it is as a functional chain property, I'll go with the five--since if you were looking for a "five star" experience, this probably wouldn't be your route. But for a great New York weekend location, I couldn't ask for better. Only one shortcoming--no coffee in the bfst. room after 11 am since they're now selling Starbucks in the lobby--for your convenience of course. (although hot water and tea bags...are available. Shame on you Marriott from us coffee drinkers who expect it hot and fresh day and night..and on demand.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe S
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Joe S:

Thank you for posting your review of my hotel for potential visitors. I'm so glad to hear you and your partner were satisfied with your stay. It sounds like you were able to see and do many things. I have to agree with you; Bryant Park is one of my favorite parks in the city as well. I hope you've had the chance to visit the park during the holidays/winter months. It looks completely different! Thank you again for taking the time to review my hotel. I hope you’ll visit with us again.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed in a King suite with a view of Bryant Park. The room was clean and larger than most. It had a King and a queen sofa with a full kitchen. Our reservation came with a free breakfast. The club room was large with plenty of comfortable seating and views of the city. The food was plentiful, fresh and diverse. The staff was extra friendly and attentive. We had some requests and they were very quick to fulfill them. I would be hard pressed to say anything negative other than parking was super expensive and the small size of toiletries. So make sure you bring your own shampoo and conditioner or raid the maid cart!

Dear maj2007:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. I'm glad you and your family had a nice stay and you enjoyed our centralized location! I hope you'll visit with us again.

Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Clean, comfortable, great location, quiet and friendly staff. Couldn't check in early so they upgraded us to a king room. Concierge Judy was so much help. Taught us how to read the subway map, lol. She also told us about a fantastic Mexican Restaurant in Hell's Kitchen. The location is close to all Time Square attractions, Rockefeller Square (had to goto the Today Show taping), Shopping, Subway Stations connecting other areas of interests. Also the room rate includes a huge Breakfast Buffet every morning that was outstanding, better than some we've paid for. Great start to a day of sight seeing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Casey722:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. I'll be sure to share your kind words with Judy! I hope you’ll visit with us again.

Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We recently used some Marriott rewards points for a Saturday night stay in NYC to see a Broadway show. It was part anniversary celebration/part summer weekend getaway with a 13-yr old (stepson). We'd gone on tripadvisor and read the reviews...much to our pleasant surprise this was a GREAT choice!

For the value, location and amenities (free breakfast) that this one had to offer - it was a great choice and one that we'll gladly come back to next time we're in NYC!

The reviews we read on the long lines for breakfast we NOT lying - it was LONG, but seemed to move fast. By far, it was the BEST (free) breakfast at a Marriott hotel chain that we've been to. So, keep up the good work...the manager on duty when we checked in (can't remember his name) was AWESOME. I want to say it was 'Tito' but I could be wrong. Great service, great view of the Empire State Building...great experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SpunkyDivaLola1908
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear LMHill71:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for TripAdvisor readers. I'm glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed your visit to New York City!

Please be sure to let me know the next time you'll be visiting with us.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great location! Within a few minute walk you can be in Times Square, on Broadway, at the Empire State Building, in Rockefeller Center or in Central Park! However, you do pay for location. If you plan on driving, you will pay even more as the hotel charges about $60 a night to park your car and cannot take your car in and out of the garage during your stay. This hotel does provide a couple of benefits that will save you some money when it comes to meals. Your stay includes a free buffet breakfast each day which includes items such as cereal, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, sausage, oatmeal, fruit, toast, bagels, coffee, juice, etc. If your smart, you’ll grab some extra fruit/snacks to take with you to snack on during the day. Each hotel room also has a small kitchen which includes a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. If you do eat out, you can always take your leftovers back to your room an reheat them for a meal/snack later on during your stay. Or you can bring some groceries with you and eat/heat up meals in your room.
Our room also contained a pull out couch which provided perfect sleeping arrangements for our family of 3. My husband and I had our own king size bed while our daughter had the pull out couch to herself.
This hotel if far enough away from Times Square which allows you to get a peaceful night’s sleep, but close enough to be part of all the excitement and action when you want to be.

2 Thank abusinesstraveler_11
Dear abusinesstraveler_11:

Thank you for reviewing my hotel for potential visitors. I'm glad to hear you had a nice stay and enjoyed our central location! I think many traveling families would agree with you; our in room kitchenettes and full complimentary breakfast is a huge cost saver. I hope you'll visit with us again.