“Excellent location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #185 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Georgia
“Excellent location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

I was here for four nights and have nothing but praise for this property. The property is just a short walk to many NYC attractions. There are plenty of restaurants in the area and subway stops are convenient to the hotel. The room is larger than many others I have stayed in while in Manhattan. I had two adjoining rooms (did not connect) on 16th floor. One for my niece and her friend and the other shared by my mother and me. There are few suites on each floor as the property is tall and narrow. Our window had a nice street view and even though we heard street noise it was not as noisy as some other places I have stayed in the city. I never heard other guests though there were other suites occupied on the floor. I also did not experience any problems with the elevators until Saturday morning and even then the rush was only at breakfast. Four elevators serve the hotel so we never had much of a wait except going downstairs Saturday when several elevators stopped but were too full to admit us. The hotel was fully occupied for the weekend. Tuesday through Friday we had no problerm getting to breakfast and finding a table. Our group of four did not always eat at the same time or together and we all had no problems. We also found the food choices to be very nice. It varied on the days we were here--scrambled eggs were always available, but sometimes turkey canadian bacon, sausage or bacon. Sometimes a scramble and other times breakfast potatoes. Almost always french toast and pancakes, and waffle batter to make your own waffle. Oatmeal in crockpots, wide variety of cereals. Fruits varied by day, but in addition to the ever present apples and bananas were cut melon and berries. There were all sorts of pastries: muffins, sweet breads, croissants. There were english muffins, wheat bread, bagels of various types, yogurt, etc. There were hot teas and coffees. I can't imagine what more could be ordered that could be served in this sort of setting. Things were restocked regularly and the attendants were helpful. Therer are many rooms for sitting and eating. One has to explore a bit to find them all. I almost always snagged a table with a window view. There are also paper plates and bowls etc for taking food to your room. I greatly appreciated this as I did not have to juggle food as I have had to do in some other properties.
The room itself had a fridge, microwave and dishwasher with coffeepot and all sorts of equipment--cutting board, knives and utensils plus plates and serving bowls, etc. Perfect for grabbing food at one of the great markets for in-room dining.
The flat screen Tv tilts for viewing in bed or from sofa or from dining table. The small bathroom has a single sink, tub with shower. The water pressure and temperature was good. good lighting in bathroom.
If I had to complain about anything it might be that with such a long stay another trash can or a bit larger waste basket would have been handy. Otherwise the room had everything needed including an in-room safe and multiple lamps and wifi capability--free!
The staff was friendly.
In the same block to the right when exiting the hotel is a Jim Horton/sThe Soup Man spot with delicious soups and sandwiches. They also serve doughnuts and frozen yogurt and ice cream. Across the street in the opposite direction is a PAX foods with lots of healthy choices. If you get in late you may find that Gabby O'Hara's, an Irish pub just a half block down 39th is open--table service is fast and I recommend the burgers! One night we were tired and it was very late and they appeared to be the closest food service spot that was open. Food is served on the 3rd floor bar but they close rather early. The bar remains open later and the fare is somewhat limited, but certainly adequate for a meal.
We had a lunch in Bryant Park on our first day--great spot for sunshine and people watching with good food from the 'wich vendor.
It was an easy walk South to the Macy's at Herald Square or North and West to Times Square even for my 76 year old mom.
I have stayed at the Fairfields and Courtyards in this same area and hands-down the Residence Inn is my favorite. I look forward to my next trip!

Room Tip: Choose higher room for less street noise and better chance of boarding elevator in busy times (weeke...
6 Thank BeingGreen
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear BeingGreen:

Thank you for posting such a positive review of my hotel for potential visitors. It's nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed much of what the area has to offer!

I will be sure to pass your suggestion for an additional or larger trash can along to the appropriate parties. It's a great suggestion and something we should consider.

Thank you again for taking the time to post such an informative review. I'm certain it will help your fellow travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
FiveStateView
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Awesome. From start to finish. Excellent service, clean rooms, & an extremely helpful staff. Already planning our next trip! Thanks again for a great stay : )

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Ron L:

Thank you for sharing your experience at my hotel with TripAdvisor! It's so great to hear you had a nice time. Please be sure to let me know when that next trip you’re planning will be.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Great location very central.
Staff very friendly and helpful various times.
Breakfast buffet could be better: little basic food. Please improve.
Breakfast buffet tables too few for the strructure get kind of difficult to get a place in rush hours, but we could live with that.
Room with kitchen , refrigerator and all, very confortable

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear claudioita:

Thank you for sharing your review of my hotel with potential visitors. I'm sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy our complimentary breakfast buffet. We do try to have a variety of both hot and cold options so there can be something found for everyone. Overall, it sounds like you had a nice stay. I'm glad to hear you found our rooms comfortable and our staff friendly. I hope you'll stay with us again.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

W. 39th St. and 6th Ave. wonderful location especially if you want to Broadway musicals. Go to TKTS at Times Square day of performance for half price tickets. Hotel has a wonderful breakfast buffet. Go early to avoid crowds, however, staff is right there replenishing food constantly. Great happy hour in the bar. Wonderful workout room. Rooms are spacious and having the microwave and refrig. is very handy. Front desk staff is very pleasant and accommodating. LOVE this hotel. Just down the street from Bryant Park and a block to 5th Avenue. Close to Central Park for a morning run. Wonderful NY pizza across the street, $1.00 for a cheese pizza slice. Will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MKK10
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear MKK10:

Thank you for sharing your positive review of my hotel with potential visitors. It's so nice to hear that we met your travel needs and you enjoyed our location and the neighborhood!

Please be sure to let me know the next time you decide to visit with us.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This place was such a pleasant surprise--suites bigger than the average NYC apartment (which is not saying a lot, but still), nice staff, and a lounge area with free, huge buffet breakfast. The rooms have a well-stocked kitchenette; ours even had a crock pot. Many rooms have a view of the Empire State Building. Wireless was reliable, the gym was small but empty and they accept dogs for an extra charge. The hotel is large but the lobby is small enough that it seems more intimate. (I prefer that over a massive, two story lobby.) The lounge area on the higher floor is a great place to spread out if the room starts to feel too small.

The location is fantastic--it's a short walk to the subway, by Bryant park, Times Square, Broadway and Fifth avenue.

We saw many families and international guests while we were there. I think people often stay there for a week or so. It would be great for business travel due to the location and small kitchen.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Empire state building
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RHObelgrade
Dear RHObelgrade:

Thank you for sharing your review of my hotel with TripAdvisor readers. It's nice to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the size of our rooms. Our comfortable studio suites with kitchenettes do meet most guests’ needs; especially traveling families, guests on business and extended stay guests.

I'm glad you took advantage of our third floor Hearthroom. It's a great space for guests to meet up with family and friends.

It sounds like you had a nice visit to New York City! I hope you'll stay with us again soon.

Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Stayed for a week with the whole family (daughter, husband and grandchild, two more daughters, husband and myself) . Had two rooms at the end of a corridor (floor 17) that had an additional door that closed the end of the corridor for us. We had a two double beds and a double bed and sofa rooms. Both with kitchen, icemaker, coffeemaker, dishwasher and microwave. Buffet breakfast is included. It has options for every taste and ages, and entire room full of hot and cold options. Take the advice of the hotel staff and go down early, although the place is big, it is not enough for such a big hotel. It gets crowded on weekends.
Location is perfect: one block from Broadway, four blocks from Times Square, Byant Park across the street, beautiful in early spring. One block from subway station at Bryant Park with good enough connections. Three blocks from good shopping: Macy's, Manhattan Mall, Uniqlo (don't miss this one), etc.
If your visit is for more than 4 days, don't doubt and buy the 7 day metro card. You will walk a lot, you will be so tired the metro or bus will come handy at the end of the day, or to go from one place to the other.
When you arrive so tired you can't even think of going out to dinner, there is this tiny pizza place half a block from the hotel, crossing 38th street, right after Bryant Market (also good), it's got good and cheap pizza.
If you want to have dinner in Times Square, go early, it gets really crowded and you can wait for more than an hour for a table. We arrived by plane to JFK from South America, had made reservations with Go Airlink Vans, everything went smoothly from and to the airport.
Excellent Wifi throughout the hotel, with some computers in the breakfast area, where you can print your vouchers. Also some tickets for the theater machines. Staff friendly and educated. We could manage to keep a room for a late checkout till 2 o'clock in the afternoon for no additional charge.
A very good experience, as we are used to when we go to a Marriott managed hotel.

Room Tip: High floor have no street noise. Corner rooms can connect through a door on the corridor.
2 Thank Pajaro
Dear Pajaro:

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at my hotel. It’s so nice to hear that we were able to meet your travel needs. It sounds like your family was able to take in much of what the city has to offer and had a great time in New York City!

Thank you again for recommending my hotel to potential visitors. You made some great recommendations for potential visitors. Your review is very much appreciated.

Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

stayed there in April 2012 and everything was great . fantastic location near everything without the hussle and close to the cozy Bryant Park (which we loved) our room was spacious with a convenient disabled bathroom and as a treat there was a marvellous view of the Emprire State Building . we would like to point out the manager's ( thank you Melissa )understanding to satisfy our need to lower the bed to the wheelchair's height (something that most hotels we got in touch with didn't want to bother ) the staff was friendly and helpful , the complimentary breakfast , the free wi-fi and the kitchenette are definetely a plus

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wheelchair-user1
Dear ioannis94:

Thank you for sharing your review of my hotel with potential visitors. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. It sounds like you enjoyed the beginning of springtime in Bryant Park!

I'm glad that taking the bed off of its frame made it possible to get from the wheelchair into bed without any trouble.

I hope you'll visit us again the next time your travels bring you to New York City.