“Good location in heart of mid-town”

Renaissance New York Hotel 57
Ranked #304 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Hotel 57 is in a great location at 57th and Lexington. Service is good and room sizes are probably above average for a NYC hotel. I wish they offered King beds for a one bedroom, but they don't. Have been to the bar and the drinks and apps were great and service was very good. The staff was very accommodating when I needed to take care of some business needs as well as ask for extra toiletries. Good restaurants and shopping not too far away...Apple store, FAO etc., all within walking distance. Overall, I would stay here again and since this is a Marriott property, points accumulated for a business traveler is a bonus.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Renaissance New York Hotel 57

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 5 days and had a wonderful stay. The staff was proactively pleasant and very efficient. Hotel amenities are OK with the club lounge offering a limited breakfast menu. The staff at the lounge were extremely helpful,and always ready to help. The decor is functional without the touch of luxury. However the elevators require major upgrades and suggest the hotel do them at an early date.

The hotel upgraded us to a king room which for NY maybe a large room but it was worth the upgrade. We will stay there again and very happy with experience there.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the 14 floor
1  Thank Rahulh
Reviewed May 24, 2014

My wife and I prefer the central park south location and have stayed in a number of hotels in that area. Renaissance 57 feels more like a boutique hotel -- the ground-level entrance is underwhelming, the lobby is one floor above and small, the rooms are small, the condition of the rooms used but clean. If you're planning on spending a lot of time in your room, you may begin to feel boxed in, but NYC rooms are notoriously tight. The staff is friendly and the location is good -- about a 15-minute walk to Times Square or Central Park. I didn't avail myself of the other hotel amenities (restaurants, lounge), but didn't get the impression they would make or break the experience. If you're willing to forego the grandeur of the larger hotels, the Renaissance 57 is a good base but not a memorable experience.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
renhotel57, Director of Hotel Operations at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at our hotel. We work hard to ensure that our guests have a memorable experience and unfortunately you were not a recipient of these efforts.

If your travels bring you back to the area I ask that you give us another opportunity to win you over.

Please feel free to contact me monique.hudson@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We just came back from a week long holiday here. Nicely decorated, very friendly staff, great location, close to everything. The rooms are very small, but I think that's to be anticipated for Manhattan. Restaurant and bar are pricey, but again, so is everything in Manhattan. The big plus I'd say was staff. Always friendly, helpful, and always available. The only negative was the maintenance. Not that things were badly deteriorated, but everything is well worn. It seemed to me that the renovations were reasonably recent, but just a high volume of people going through. We booked through Westjet vacations, so I think it worked out to about $230 cdn per night, pretty reasonable compared to similar hotels in the area. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for families, but otherwise, a good spot.

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

So after the complete fiasco (please read my review, which was the reason I joined trip advisor) Marriott offered to compensate me with 40,000 Marriott points, about the equivalent of $100. and that's that...
Well, for them, not for me. I followed up with a letter, explaining my deception at their cheapness... No response.... This is no way to run a customer service business... I hope someone in the Marriott organization is paying attention because Renaissance 57 dropped the ball long ago. Never will I stay at a Marriott hotel. Shame on you.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank AtlasShrugg
renhotel57, Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your most recent experience at Renaissance Hotel 57. I would like to apologize that we had to relocate your reservation to another property due to previous guests extending. I understand that this was a big inconvenience to you and that the complimentary night for any future stay didn't meet your expectations.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies, please contact me if you would like to discuss your concerns further.

monique.hudson@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed May 21, 2014

You expect NYC hotel rooms to be small and noisy, and this was no exception. But we also expected this Renaissance to excel in other areas, which it didn't really do.

The decor of the lobby area, which is elegant and interesting, promises to continue through the rest of the property but in fact the rooms are really rather shabby and run down in places; they certainly do not reflect the sumptuous design work of the pubic areas.

The food we tried was fine, but not amazing, and the drinks were expensive.

Whilst we met with a couple of lovely staff members, we also dealt with a couple who were quite rude and definitely less than helpful.

I agree with other reviewers that the rooftop garden/bar is fantastic, a real haven.

The hotel isn't bad, it just isn't as good as it promises to be. But the area is top notch and you're walking distance to some of the best NY has to offer.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
renhotel57, Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your most recent stay. I apologize that the staff didn't consisently go above and beyond. We certainly strive to ensure that all of our staff provide outstanding service.

Once again I am sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Monique Hudson
monique.hudson@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is a beautifully decorated, modern, clean property in a very good location. The reason I gave it 4 and not 5 stars, the bathrooms were poorly lit. We came for a girls trip and we all thought it was difficult getting ready (for a woman!) with the dimly lit bathrooms. Would I not recommend or not stay there??? . . . Absolutely not! I would recommend this hotel to everyone, the staff was great, we loved the little bar on the first floor and breakfast in the lobby was adequate to get your day started. We stayed on the 14th floor and the rooms were very quiet, no street noise. We were within 5 minute walk to the subway and close to some great shopping. All in all a great place to stay and we (the girls) would return!