“FUNKY AND CHIQUE”

Renaissance New York Hotel 57
Ranked #313 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We just spent three enjoyable nights at the Renaissance Hotel 57 which is located at 130 East 57th Street in Manhattan. We really enjoyed the ambiance of this renovated historic boutique hotel. The decor is eclectic, warm and inviting. Special thanks to Natasha and Gregory from the Navigator/Concierge staff who were patient and helpful. Including getting us great seats for the opening night of a wonderful show on Broadway. The hotel is located within walking distance of many enjoyable attractions and is only a few blocks from 5th Avenue. And it was right around the corner from what became our favorite Irish pub, The Pig and Whistle. We wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: It would be a good idea to request a room with a larger bed. While comfortable, we had a double. Whi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My friend and I were walking in a half marathon in Central Park this past weekend. When looking for a hotel, we wanted something close to the event, affordable, but quality as well. We could not have asked for more.

What most impressed me was the level of service. From the moment we walked up to the check in desk we felt completely taken care of and valued as a guest at the hotel. I believe the woman that we were greeted by was named Liz. She gave us the most exceptional greeting I have ever had at a hotel. If the hotel is reading this review, this employee truly deserves a pat on the back, bonus, etc...

The hotel is a perfect boutique hotel. The decor was artistic, modern and chic. There is a wonderful lobby area that leads to the hotel's restuarant. On Saturday night we could hear the sounds of a live jazz band with a man who sang like Louis Armstrong. It was heavenly and so perfectly NYC.

Our room was small, but as they call their standard rooms, "Cozy". It was neat, clean and the bed, pillows and comforter were like sleeping on a cloud.

We purchased this room on Priceline for about $100.00 a night cheaper than it would have been if we had gotten it through the hotel itself.

Be sure to check out the roof top balcony. It's a great view of the city. You can see the Chrysler Building from it's vantage point.

We will certainly be back to this hotel. Job well done Renaissance employees!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thanks for your comments and I will be sure to mention your compliments to Liz!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have stayed here before and wanted to explore different hotels in the city, but stayed again because of a bonus offer for points for 1 night.

I LOVE this hotel - staff is great and the decor is wonderful. The restaurant on the second floor is really good, but usually packed with people from NYC (which makes it kind of fun).

I was upgraded because of my marriott level status and had a great room on the 16th floor that had a really nice view and was pretty spacious for NYC standards. I ordered room service and although it took awhile for a salad - it was good and the service was very friendly.

Would definitely stay here again - recommend it to all visiting NYC that want a unique hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - you never know!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for your posting - glad that you enjoyed your time with us and see you on your next trip to New York City!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is a design standout. Do not be put off by the street level entrance - the real lobby is up the stairs and please take the stairs so that you don't miss the fabulous light sculpture in the stairway. The public places show off great furniture, lighting, and design features which include brass Queen Anne style "legs" which house the elevator buttons. The rooms are very large for Manhattan with a well designed huge shower. Pocket doors in the bath continue the unusual design details which make this hotel a "gem" of the Marriott holdings. The location is excellent at 57th and Lexington and service was very good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights over New Years Eve. The first room we were given hard an awful creaky bed, it squeaked every time you moved & dipped down in the middle. There was no way we could sleep on that so after a while called down to complain. We were given a room that was much better. The bed was comfy, silent and very large. However the bathroom in this room had not been cleaned since the previous guest. The towels had been used & there was a half used bar of soap. We complained the following morning & the girl on the front desk (i can't remember her name now)was very understanding. Other minor issues include no lights in the dressing area of the room & the safe battery was nearly dead which meant we had problems locking up our valuables. Other than that our stay was ok until we checked out. I decided to use the toilets on the first floor & got the faeces from another guest on my hand after touching a roll of toilet paper.. Utterly disgusting. I decide not to make an issue of it as we needed to leave. The doorman was extremely helpful hailing cabs for us when we needed them.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

We apologize for your less than satisfactory stay - as you can see from our other postings, that is not the typical experince that our guests have while staying at Hotel 57. I hope that you give us anotehr chance when your travels bring you back to New York City.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

First let me say that I stay at Marriott properties around 75 nights a year so I am a huge fan of Marriott and all their properties. And I want to recognize the most positive part of this experience first. The Renaissance Lounge had one of the most friendly, attentive servers/bartenders I've seen. His service was excellent and he was super friendly. The issue with this property is the front desk. They don't own problems, quite honestly don't want to be there, and don't understand how to solve issues. I tried to make a change to my bill, was told they would do so and it would take 24 hours to receive. I've never heard that in the years I've been staying at Marriott. 24 hours goes by and no bill. I call in and I'm told "Sir, we're a boutique hotel with out sophisticated accounting services." The bottom line is the service is awful here. The hotel is nice, located in a great area, but don't expect the service to be Marriott level service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JasonH551
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed on 31 March for two nights. Did not stay in the hotel very much, it is within walking distance of Times Square and close to Central Park. We were greated by friendly staff and given a bottle of cold water. Comfortable stay although room a bit dated, coffee machine in the room. Very nice touch as it was Easter, we were left a small bottle of wine on ice and a gift packed box of mini Easter eggs. When we came back in the evening the bar was very inviting, nice atmosphere, good lighting, they had a jazz band playing. If we were to come back to NY I would not hesitate in staying again.

Stayed: March 2013