“Expensive Tiny Rooms”

Renaissance New York Hotel 57
Ranked #331 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Came and stayed in this hotel because its in the city area but find out that it doesn't worth the price. You have to pay for everything even though the price was at US$350 + service charge! The air condition is also quite noisy in the room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Febiehung
Write a ReviewReviews (1,360)

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here 9/13/12 and 9/14/12. Very nice location and beautiful lobby/restaurant area. The staff was great. The rooftop bar was an amazing way to take in the city. The only downside for the hotel was the rooms (happens to be a very important part of a hotel stay). Our room was very small - even for NYC. The other major drawback to the rooms was very slow draining in the shower and sink. By the end of the shower, the water was up past my ankles...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bmah
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The positives: the hotel is stylish and in a great location. Located at 57th and Lexington. Very close to all the high end shops, central park, top of the Rock, MoMA, Radio City, etc. On the same token there are plenty of budget options for food, etc. close as well. The staff were very friendly and MOST helpful. The doormen always would open the doors, greet you with a smile, and say hello or have a nice day. One doorman/porter even went way above and beyond to get us a taxi with our luggage during rush hour/shift change. The check in staff was friendly and the "navigator" was helpful as well. The room was nice, bed was comfortable and shower was nice. The lobby/common areas are cool. The rooftop terrace is a nice bonus as well!

The negatives: the sink is difficult to use. Looks stylish and fancy, but not too functional. My biggest issue-there is not much space to hang clothes. My girlfriend and I were in town to attend a 'dressy' event-we both had suits, dresses, etc. plus other items and not nearly enough room to hang an average amount of clothes for 2 people. Closet was small and no hooks, etc. Very frustrating as we had to hang things on the chair or shower rod-unacceptable for a higher rate hotel room. If your room is anywhere near the elevator bank-you will here it! Others have mentioned this for good reason. It sounds like the subway going by your room. Definitely try to get a room away from the elevator bank.

Again-great location, very nice staff, stylish look. Need more closet/hanging space, sink is not very functional, and elevators are noisy if your room is near them.

Room Tip: ask for room away from elevator bank, be prepared for a small closet
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cubuff1453
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance for 4 nights on a business trip in early September. This is billed as a boutique hotel which the lobby and guest floor/communal areas (1st floor) deliver however the rooms do not. In my opinion, the room was ugly and samey and not in the boutique vein of the rest of the hotel. Major issue for me was the noise from the room a/c units which made several loud bangs during the night which woke me up and made sleeping difficult as I either had to turn the a/c off and sweat or bare with the noise. Other reviewers have commented on this and I wish I had heeded their warning as it is certainly very irritating, so be warned! The location of the hotel is amazing however so if you are a heavy sleeper - go for it...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank afropolitchick
Reviewed September 17, 2012

i've stayed at this hotel twice before but after my stay this weekend I'd rather not return again!

the hotel was still trendy and comfortable, had a nice room with a view of the chrysler building but boy did I have to wait long to get the room! i arrived at the hotel about 4 pm and the room wasn't ready. No problem, i just put my stuff in my sister's room and decided to go out and do some shopping.
I return at 7 and was given the keys to my room..great! after gathering all my stuff on the 16th floor, i went to my room on the 13th floor to get settled in. when i got there though, housekeeping is in the room and says they need another half hour! at this point i had to take my stuff back up to the 16th floor to my sister's room. we went out for dinner at that time, of course I didn't get to shower and freshen up. by the time i returned the room was ready, thank god!

the night after was when i reallly got upset. at 11pm i hear a knock at the door. I look through the peephole and can't recognize the male individual. then the person outside yells..'security!!". i was really freaked out because how am i supposed to know if this really is 'security'??? I called front desk who says that when my sister booked the room the credit card was declined. they said they called the room earlier to inform us of this but got no response. At this point i asked ' so couldn't you have called again or inform me that security is gonna be knocking at my door at 11 pm????'
my sister then went downstairs only to realize that when the card was charged, the hotel actually entered the WRONG credit card number, no wonder the card was declined!!!!!
the person who attended to her apologized and said he didn't know who sent 'security' up to my room. incidentally neither of us got that message on our answering machines but what really disturbed me was the way the hotel handled the situation. i really didn't appreciate someone knocking at my door at that hour. i felt very very unsafe.

i think the hotel management could have handled this much better but obviously we were not that important guests to them. sigh.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank islandgirl080
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I've stayed here twice in the last year. This time I arrived mid-morning on a Monday, and got right into my room. The hotel is a great location, has a very good restaurant, and the staff is friendly. There are all kinds of eateries nearby where you can get an economical lunch. I will definitely stay here again. Yes, the rooms are small but the beds are fantastic, and the A/C is very welcoming after the NYC heat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patriciatrish
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I'm a frequent traveler with over 100 nights this year - many in NYC. Decided to try a different NYC property. I'll not stay at this one again. I'm an elite Marriott rewards member and expect a certain level of courtesy in return. My profile states high floor and a room away from the elevators.

I fully understand that cozy in NYC is a euphemism for small. NYC rooms are small, but it shouldn't mean that the faucet is so low in a small sink that you can't get your hands into the sink to clean them without extreme contortion or risking hurting yourself.

Assigned room after check-in is left out of the elevator, another left, and another left immediately behind the elevator bank. I return to check-in to ask for another room that will be quiet, call to manager and I'm given sixth floor room on the corner of 57th and Lexington with double windows - regardless it is extremely noisy. Fearing even worse, I give-up and result is a very sleepless night. I raise this on check-out, which resulted in no response, not even a sorry.

Elite level breakfast the next morning is the worst I've ever encountered at a Marriott property and I've stayed at too many to count. First a very limited selection and in a room overflowing with clients. Runny eggs, no protein, limited fruit selection, one juice selection, and way too much in the way of processed starches.

One up side: OPIA, in house restaurant, delightful music, very good food and service. Too bad they can't follow-up that quality in other aspects and apparently the kitchen staff can't keep it up with breakfast.

Room Tip: Check the room first - if not good call downstairs and have them bring you keys until you find a roo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business