“dissapointing stay”

Renaissance New York Hotel 57
Ranked #336 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 17, 2012

i've stayed at this hotel twice before but after my stay this weekend I'd rather not return again!

the hotel was still trendy and comfortable, had a nice room with a view of the chrysler building but boy did I have to wait long to get the room! i arrived at the hotel about 4 pm and the room wasn't ready. No problem, i just put my stuff in my sister's room and decided to go out and do some shopping.
I return at 7 and was given the keys to my room..great! after gathering all my stuff on the 16th floor, i went to my room on the 13th floor to get settled in. when i got there though, housekeeping is in the room and says they need another half hour! at this point i had to take my stuff back up to the 16th floor to my sister's room. we went out for dinner at that time, of course I didn't get to shower and freshen up. by the time i returned the room was ready, thank god!

the night after was when i reallly got upset. at 11pm i hear a knock at the door. I look through the peephole and can't recognize the male individual. then the person outside yells..'security!!". i was really freaked out because how am i supposed to know if this really is 'security'??? I called front desk who says that when my sister booked the room the credit card was declined. they said they called the room earlier to inform us of this but got no response. At this point i asked ' so couldn't you have called again or inform me that security is gonna be knocking at my door at 11 pm????'
my sister then went downstairs only to realize that when the card was charged, the hotel actually entered the WRONG credit card number, no wonder the card was declined!!!!!
the person who attended to her apologized and said he didn't know who sent 'security' up to my room. incidentally neither of us got that message on our answering machines but what really disturbed me was the way the hotel handled the situation. i really didn't appreciate someone knocking at my door at that hour. i felt very very unsafe.

i think the hotel management could have handled this much better but obviously we were not that important guests to them. sigh.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank islandgirl080
Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I've stayed here twice in the last year. This time I arrived mid-morning on a Monday, and got right into my room. The hotel is a great location, has a very good restaurant, and the staff is friendly. There are all kinds of eateries nearby where you can get an economical lunch. I will definitely stay here again. Yes, the rooms are small but the beds are fantastic, and the A/C is very welcoming after the NYC heat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patriciatrish
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I'm a frequent traveler with over 100 nights this year - many in NYC. Decided to try a different NYC property. I'll not stay at this one again. I'm an elite Marriott rewards member and expect a certain level of courtesy in return. My profile states high floor and a room away from the elevators.

I fully understand that cozy in NYC is a euphemism for small. NYC rooms are small, but it shouldn't mean that the faucet is so low in a small sink that you can't get your hands into the sink to clean them without extreme contortion or risking hurting yourself.

Assigned room after check-in is left out of the elevator, another left, and another left immediately behind the elevator bank. I return to check-in to ask for another room that will be quiet, call to manager and I'm given sixth floor room on the corner of 57th and Lexington with double windows - regardless it is extremely noisy. Fearing even worse, I give-up and result is a very sleepless night. I raise this on check-out, which resulted in no response, not even a sorry.

Elite level breakfast the next morning is the worst I've ever encountered at a Marriott property and I've stayed at too many to count. First a very limited selection and in a room overflowing with clients. Runny eggs, no protein, limited fruit selection, one juice selection, and way too much in the way of processed starches.

One up side: OPIA, in house restaurant, delightful music, very good food and service. Too bad they can't follow-up that quality in other aspects and apparently the kitchen staff can't keep it up with breakfast.

Room Tip: Check the room first - if not good call downstairs and have them bring you keys until you find a roo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and the experience was wonderful. I was with my Mother and Aunt and they put us in a double room, which was perfect. The front desk was great about accommodating our needs ! We had breakfast at the hotel Monday morning, great service and very enjoyable breakfast. The rooms are decorated nicely and very clean. Great location depending on your reason to visit NYC. Highly recommend and look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights 2nd - 6th Sept 12. We stayed here six years ago for 2 nights and always said we would go back.
centrally located nice rooms great staff. Lovely roof top bar. Very good customer service and nothing was to much trouble. It is situated on 57 & Lexington ideal for all attractions - central for everything.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We needed a room to sleep 3 adults for a last minute overnight trip to NYC and were pleasantly surprised to find a reasonable rate, by NYC standards, for a "Junior Suite" at the Hotel 57, described as containing a King Size Bed & sleep sofa. In fact, the room was the size of, perhaps, a "deluxe" room by NYC or Paris Standards -- i.e, a "standard" room almost everywhere else. Also, the sleep sofa was in fact a futon.

The room was handicap accessible, which was a feature that we did not need, but it did result in a few odd configurations -- including a walk-in (roll-in?) closet that was a fortunate feature, as it was large enough to accomodate the oval coffee table, thereby freeing up some much needed floor space between the bed & futon.

The room was quiet and linens were reasonably comfortable. Our son, who slept on the futon, however, described it as quite uncomfortable.

Bottom line: Perhaps if you were traveling with small children, this room might work, but otherwise I'd not plan on sleeping more than 2 people in it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had never stayed at this hotel before, since it became a Marriott since our last visit to NYC. It is a small boutique hotel centrally located on Lexington and 57th Street. The staff was personable and soon knew our names. Since traffic is light and the rooms are not huge, we felt like it was our very own retreat. Tara at the front desk and Selena the chief valet were very friendly, and helpful, and made us feel most welcome. I added an extra night at the hotel due to this and the fact that it was so accomadating to our every wish. The rooftop bar compares to the one at the Peninsula with the drinks at more reasonable prices. The room was small and near the elevators but it didn't bother us at all. Will return soon I hope.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor facing away from 57th Street that is densely traveled.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple