“Some of the Best”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: Bombay Talkie, Chelsea's untra hip take on Indian "street food", continues to wow diners and critics. Created and owned by Sunitha Ramaiah, the bistro melds the two worlds dearest to her: Her childhood in Southern India and her adult life in Manhattan. Bombay Talkie contemporizes the regional cuisines of the tiny road side cafes (or Tea Houses) that dot the Indian sub continent.
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Some of the Best”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love Indian cuisine. I've lived in Grand Cayman the past few years and have had some great home cooked Indian food, but when we went to Bombay Talkie in February 2011 - uh, YUM! I had the Homestyle Chicken and my boyfriend had the Chicken Tikka Masala. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this place for its cocktails, but the food was really good.

Visited February 2012

NYC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our favorite local place”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The food is always delicious. I love the papdi chat (beggar's purses), tikka masala and mango lassi.

• Visited June 2012
Adelaide, Australia
“Exactly what we wanted”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Food was excellent, ambience lovely, service very attentive... even late on a week night. After a long day sightseeing, we crashed a bit at our Desmond Tutu center accommodation (excellent!) and then set out in the neighborhood to try our luck as late evening walk-ins. Bingo. We thought it was very reasonable for the quality, $59 for two with two mains, naan, pulao, raita and two Stellas. Would absolutely go back.

• Visited October 2011
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Food wasn't bad but it's too expensive”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We tried this place because we couldn't find too much Indian food in this part of town.

The decor is contemporary and clean. The service is good.

The food was fine. It wasn't the best Indian food that I've had but there was nothing wrong with it.

Here's what I didn't like...

There's too much "ambiance". This isn't a romantic setting. Turn up the lights a little bit more so I can see my food.

The food is served in a bowl/plate combo that makes eating cumbersome.

The amount and quality of the food doesn't justify that he price that you're paying. I think that $4-$5 less per entree would have been a fair price - especially when they refer to their dishes as authentic "street food".

• Visited October 2011
New York City
“Obnoxious service, small portions”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I have never walked out of an Indian restaurant hungry, but that's how I left Bombay Talkie. I have never seen such small portions. When they brought the main dish in a tiny little bowl, I thought they must have brought me an appetizer. Still, we were satisfied with the taste, and continued our meal in what I thought was a courteous way, even though we thought our waiter was arrogant and obnoxious. We paid our bill and left a tip on the table even though we didn't like the service. The busboy must have picked up the tip, because as we were leaving the waiter actually chased us out the door demanding to know where his tip was! We explained we left it on the table, but he was not nice even at that point. We will not return to this small place with tiny portions and obnoxious staff.

• Visited June 2011