“Good but not great”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: N/R and 1/9/F/D/B
Description: Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We ate early so the restaurant was pretty empty. Waiters were very attentive since it was quiet. It did pick up before we left for the theater. Best part of our meal was our appetizer. It was a special which was a dip with bread/cracker. Very good. Memory is not serving me well. I had Mussels with fries in a Green Chile Broth. It was good but I am more of a red sauce mussel eater. Complaint was some of the size of the mussels were pretty large and I felt I needed a fork and knife to eat them. My wife didn't enjoy her meal but she says it was probably what she ordered. Her thoughts are, there are plenty of other restaurants to go to before she would go back.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were very excited to enjoy Bobby Flay's Americain, New York City to celebrate my sister's birthday before we saw Wicked. However, we were extremely disappointed. The service was mediocre and so was the food. The steaks were not cooked the way we ordered them and when you spend that kind of money on a steak, it should be prepared the way you ordered it. The silverware was also dirty. It was a very disappointing experience and we will not be going back.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Restaurant is very beautiful but we were very disappointed with the food. As expensive as the restaurant is our entrees were just okay - we definitely expected more from this restaurant because of Bobby Flay being the owner. We had to send one steak back three times until they got it right. Service was also very slow.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is one of Food Network stars, Bobby Flay's establishments. We dined before the theater and the food was excellent, service was superb and their staging perfect for anyone wanting to make it to the theater on time. Yes, it is expensive but so are most of the high end restaurants in NYC. I will go again.

2  Thank RickMiller
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I went in for dinner while traveling on business. The service was very good and so was the ambiance. I had the seafood trio,very nice but I should have stopped there. I wanted to try more so I had the clam chowder - way too salty. This is coming for someone who is not salt sensitive. I'd be glad to go back again for another try. I just think they need to lay off the salt a bit in their soup....