“A star chef restaurant that really stands up”
Review of Bar Americain

Bar Americain
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Americain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #403 of 13,689 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: N/R and 1/9/F/D/B
Description: Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A star chef restaurant that really stands up”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have eaten at other "star chef" places in the world and have had mixed reviews. So, we approached Bar Americain with a hopeful, but cautious, attitude. We arrived five minutes early for our reservation and had to wait ten minutes. The place was packed, so that was somewhat expected.

Our meals were very good. The lamb was exceptionally prepared and the filet was very very good. The sides were great and the bread was wonderful. The wine list is very extensive and the good news here is that the waiter new his list. No pointing at the wine name of the menu to tell him our selection.

The place is certainly worth a visit.

1 Thank jgregb

• Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great pre or post Broadway dinner spot!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went here before going to see Mamma Mia. Service was attentive and fast. The deviled eggs were a tasty appetizer and the pork chop I had for my entree was cooked and seasoned to perfection.

“Hidden brunch spot?”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Not because it's a hole in the wall but because we were 1 of 3 or 4 couples in the whole place for brunch. Really enjoye the blue corn fried eggs (huge portion) and the American beignets. Wife had the chicken pot pie and it was packed with roasted chicken but the sweet potato crust was the best part. Great service too and glad to see someone serving a pimm's cup.

San Diego, California, United States
“Wonderful Dinner”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Yes, we were eager to try a "real" Bobby Flay restaurant and I know that people are often eager to find fault with celebrity chefs. We had a fabulous dinner, however, from wine, to food, to service. We ordered the halibut and the striped bass, both nicely seasoned. Don't worry about Flay being too hot pepper oriented. We didn't find that the case at all. Nice selection of half bottles and we had fun talking to the young waiter and sommelier, both easy to talk to and yet totally professional. I thoroughly enjoyed our evening and felt it was right in line with the prices of similar restaurants.

Visited July 2013
florida
“BAR AMERICAIN vs DB BISTRO MODERNE: Which one was chopped?”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I dined at both restaurants recently to see which one we liked better and the result is A TIE! I would have chopped Bar Americain while my husband preferred it and would have chopped BD Moderne, despite the fact that he returned Bobby Flay's Dish of the Day- Smoked Ribs - because they were burnt and dry!
I had fish in both restaurants because I do not eat mammals. The cobia I had in BD Moderne was maybe the best cobia I have ever eaten, while the striped bass I ate in Bar Americain was fine but just OK. My husband returned the Smoked Ribs Special at Bobby Flays. He had expected something wonderful ... but he was very disappointed. The ribs were dry and burnt! He returned them and got the pork chop which he said was wonderful. My striped bass dish was fine but nothing exceptional... so I would have chopped Bobby Flay / Bar Americain.

Both cost about the same - ~$135 for 2, with a glass of wine. Actually Bar Americain was slightly less expensive but DB Moderne gave us a complimentary dessert, and had exceptional service while Bar Americain service was very slow.

So it was close... but I chop Bar Americain ...he chopped BD Moderne. Both were good but one was better!!!!

Visited July 2013