“Stylish, great service, somewhat lacking in facilities”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #89 of 469 Hotels in New York City

The good...
It's a great looking hotel with great service... The room I had (which was complimentary upgraded on check-in) was big for a NYC hotel, if not a little dark for my liking, but that was more due to intentional design than poor design. Service there in general is great - friendly and very helpful staff. Bar staff in the Rose bar were competent. Finally - probably the most important thing for a NYC hotel - it is QUIET - ok not the bar, but I've stayed in a lot of hotels in NYC and this probably counts as one of the best sleeps I have had - it's is on a very quiet side street/block.

The could be better...
The hotel is a little lacking in facilities for the price - no pool or spa - it does have a tiny gym with a few machines and some weights. The breakfast setup was disappointing - I went down for breakfast on the weekend at 9am only to be told that breakfast would not start serving until 10am... That's very odd to me - I realise I could have ordered in to my room I am sure, but really I would have expected breakfast to start serving earlier than 10am...

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for the great feedback! The hotels location is truly a great advantage, being located on a tree lined street and across from the only private park in New York City, really makes us special. With regards to our amenities, you are correct, we do not have a pool or spa, pretty much the norm for a majority of hotels throughout the city. Although our location is just 1 block from New York Health and Racquetball Club, which has a fabulous pool and facility. If it is a massage you require, we have fabulous network of therapists that work closely with us to facilitate in room treatments. With regards to our Breakfast timing on weekends, the restaurant is indeed open earlier than 10am, 730am actually, with our Famous Maialino Brunch beginning at 10AM, a must do in NYC! Looking forward to welcome you back to Gramercy very soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We checked into the GPH for one night in April and were immediately greeted by a friendly valet and front desk staff. Once Darren (front desk staff) fount out it was my fiancés birthday he offered to send up a bottle of champagne on him. What a great start to an evening out in NYC!
The service was truly outstanding! You can tell that the staff here really care about their guests stay. I look forward to staying at GPH in the future and would definitely recommend to anyone that wants to experience NY in style and luxury!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Tina - Special Occasions are our strong suit! I am so glad that Darren was able to create something special for you. Hope your fiancés birthday was a great one!! Looking forward to welcome the 2 of you back for another celebration, or perhaps a "just because" escape....those are always fun, cause you deserve it!
Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel. The location at Gramercy Park is ideal, quiet in the heart of NYC. Close to restaurants and shops of Union Square and 23rd Street, but removed from the city hustle.
The lobby is warm and inviting, the rose bar is a nice place for a cocktail. We has a suite that was good size, especially for NYC standards.
All of the staff is friendly and helpful.

Gramercy Park is one of 2 private parks in NYC, Doorman has a key and will be happy to let you in. It is a beautiful oasis in the heart of the city, take advantage of this special opportunity!!

Room Tip: Doorman has the "key to the Park"
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the great feedback! Having the Key to "uncharted territory" now that's exclusive! Glad you were able to enjoy a stroll in the Park. Our guests truly love it! Gramercy Park is the only private park in the 5 boroughs....wait till spring, its absolutely magnificent! Looking forward to welcome you back soon!!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel in January 2014 for an evening, and it was an absolutely lovely experience. Granted, it's not cheap, but if you are willing to spend the money you will get what you paid for.

The decor of the hotel is comfortable and modern, not too design-oriented, but enough to make you feel like you are staying somewhere special. The checkin was fast and efficient, with the front desk staff being helpful and friendly. I was upgraded to a suite, which was a great perk - probably because I was staying on a weeknight and availability was open.

The room was incredibly comfortable, it felt like a home-away-from-home. Masculine, dark colors and excellent decorating touches (coffee table books about New York and Gramercy Park), great lighting, excellent linens and towels, and absolutely amazing toiletries. I'm a complete toiletry snob and this place had the best of the best - the brands of toiletries you'd find at Barneys. I definitely took a few with me for use at home :)

The bathroom was incredible, with cool lighting fixtures, subway tiled walls, and great shower / bathtub.

Two of the best features of the hotel are its on-site bars and restaurant Maialino, and access to Gramercy Park. I'd lived in New York for years, and never was able to get access to the private, manicured park in the middle of the city until now. The hotel staff will let you in with their hotel key, and you can wander and have a coffee in bliss in your own private park, with a view of the Chrysler Building. Absolutely worth it to stay here just for that privileged experience. And, the restaurants and bars on site are stylish, great food and drink full of beautiful, sophisticated clientele. And, the bar sometimes has great live music. When I was there, it was a jazz trumpet - very cool.

I also tried the room service, which was pretty standard, nothing to write home about, but not terrible either. In retrospect I would have probably preferred going downstairs to the restaurant to eat for dinner or out to one of the nearby restaurants on Park Ave or Third Ave. There's also a great ramen place about a block up.

The only complaint I would have, and it's a minor one, is that the heating system can be a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper, but a pair of earplugs sorted that out easily.

All told - amazing hotel, amazing amenities, true luxury in the city.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can, if not, try to score a room with a view of the park.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Wow! Thanks JestsetNick! Truly appreciate you taking the time to articulate your outstanding experience here at Gramercy. The property is truly remarkable and unique in every way. Aside from the wonderful design and outstanding service....access to the only private park in New York city, I mean how can you beat that! As you said....you've been a New Yorker for years and never stepped foot in the Park.....at the Gramercy, Access is just a key away. Truly a pleasure and looking forward to welcome you back to the Property very soon. Feel free to reach out to me directly, I am at your service.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Great vibe from the time you arrive... Great food, great service at restaurants, bar, and room service.. Professional staff makes you feel welcome.. Beautiful rooms with extraordinary artwork in your room and all over the hotel. Had a great time at the Rose bar... Stayed all night.

1  Thank Painfully
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Sounds like you truly had an outstanding time with us! I am glad that you were able to enjoy our wonderful venues here at Gramercy!! As for Rose Bar.....well its one of those places that once you start your night there, you never want to leave, so I completely get that you stayed all night!! Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

1. The concierge Joy is amazing! Her immediate and complete understanding of our taste and recommending perfect places for the vibe we were looking for was impeccable.
2. Sadly this was sullied by a designer scarf and an iPod "gone missing" from our room. Although the security team were very helpful, there was nothing that could be done.
3. The whole place is so artificially scented by candles I felt constantly irritated and on the verge of some sort of asthma attack desperate for fresh air
4. The famed Rose Bar is frequented by absolute mugs. If you wish to replicate the most expensive and pretentious Shoreditch nightmare you've had then go there. If you have taste, and do not wish to hang out with English B-listers then head to another bar.

2  Thank Ruthielark
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback on your recent experience with us. I must say, that I was rather surprised and confused to read about some of the opportunities you described. Regarding your missing scarf, the entire security team and management team worked diligently for multiple days to try and locate the item you had misplaced. We contacted multiple venues and locations throughout the city on your behalf to try and locate your missing scarf. In Addition, now hearing of your missing IPOD, that is news to us and was not advised when you were at the hotel. With regards to our Signature scent, I am truly sorry it was not to your liking as many of our guests rave about the atmosphere it creates. Adding to that is our wood burning fireplaces in the lobby and Bar, they work together to create our signature organic and non-artificial sensory experience. Lastly, with regards to your experience with Rose Bar, you advised us upon departure how much you enjoyed the curated music our DJs play, so we were rather surprised to now find out your experience there was not to your liking?
My sincerest apologies that you did not find Gramercy to your liking. While we feel the entire property exudes a One of a Kind experience, I can understand how aspects of the curated smell, music and nightlife may not be to your liking, although that is what Makes Gramercy the special place it is. we also recognized that you were on your honeymoon and extended a room upgrade 2 categories above what you booked. In which case you would like to try out the property again, feel free to reach out to me directly as I would be happy to assist with any of your needs.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

My partner and I travelled to NYC from Atlanta to get married. We brought along with us 8 of our friends and family. Our experience with GPH started months before our arrival. The concierge and reservation specialist were so helpful in planning our special occassion. Upon arrival, we were not disappointed. The hotel is beautiful, but what stands out is the service. We always felt welcomed and special. By the end of our trip, we were sad to say goodbye.

1  Thank ttd1011

Truly a pleasure and honor to have spent such a special moment in your lives with us here at Gramercy! The history and unique environment that the property exudes, is absolutely perfect for such an occasion. They entire team was looking forward to your arrival and I so happy to hear that their hard work paid off with delivering a memorable experience for you. Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon!