“Top-notch, sophisticated luxury hotel in New York”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #90 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel in January 2014 for an evening, and it was an absolutely lovely experience. Granted, it's not cheap, but if you are willing to spend the money you will get what you paid for.

The decor of the hotel is comfortable and modern, not too design-oriented, but enough to make you feel like you are staying somewhere special. The checkin was fast and efficient, with the front desk staff being helpful and friendly. I was upgraded to a suite, which was a great perk - probably because I was staying on a weeknight and availability was open.

The room was incredibly comfortable, it felt like a home-away-from-home. Masculine, dark colors and excellent decorating touches (coffee table books about New York and Gramercy Park), great lighting, excellent linens and towels, and absolutely amazing toiletries. I'm a complete toiletry snob and this place had the best of the best - the brands of toiletries you'd find at Barneys. I definitely took a few with me for use at home :)

The bathroom was incredible, with cool lighting fixtures, subway tiled walls, and great shower / bathtub.

Two of the best features of the hotel are its on-site bars and restaurant Maialino, and access to Gramercy Park. I'd lived in New York for years, and never was able to get access to the private, manicured park in the middle of the city until now. The hotel staff will let you in with their hotel key, and you can wander and have a coffee in bliss in your own private park, with a view of the Chrysler Building. Absolutely worth it to stay here just for that privileged experience. And, the restaurants and bars on site are stylish, great food and drink full of beautiful, sophisticated clientele. And, the bar sometimes has great live music. When I was there, it was a jazz trumpet - very cool.

I also tried the room service, which was pretty standard, nothing to write home about, but not terrible either. In retrospect I would have probably preferred going downstairs to the restaurant to eat for dinner or out to one of the nearby restaurants on Park Ave or Third Ave. There's also a great ramen place about a block up.

The only complaint I would have, and it's a minor one, is that the heating system can be a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper, but a pair of earplugs sorted that out easily.

All told - amazing hotel, amazing amenities, true luxury in the city.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can, if not, try to score a room with a view of the park.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Wow! Thanks JestsetNick! Truly appreciate you taking the time to articulate your outstanding experience here at Gramercy. The property is truly remarkable and unique in every way. Aside from the wonderful design and outstanding service....access to the only private park in New York city, I mean how can you beat that! As you said....you've been a New Yorker for years and never stepped foot in the Park.....at the Gramercy, Access is just a key away. Truly a pleasure and looking forward to welcome you back to the Property very soon. Feel free to reach out to me directly, I am at your service.

There are newer reviews for Gramercy Park Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Great vibe from the time you arrive... Great food, great service at restaurants, bar, and room service.. Professional staff makes you feel welcome.. Beautiful rooms with extraordinary artwork in your room and all over the hotel. Had a great time at the Rose bar... Stayed all night.

1  Thank Painfully
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Sounds like you truly had an outstanding time with us! I am glad that you were able to enjoy our wonderful venues here at Gramercy!! As for Rose Bar.....well its one of those places that once you start your night there, you never want to leave, so I completely get that you stayed all night!! Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

1. The concierge Joy is amazing! Her immediate and complete understanding of our taste and recommending perfect places for the vibe we were looking for was impeccable.
2. Sadly this was sullied by a designer scarf and an iPod "gone missing" from our room. Although the security team were very helpful, there was nothing that could be done.
3. The whole place is so artificially scented by candles I felt constantly irritated and on the verge of some sort of asthma attack desperate for fresh air
4. The famed Rose Bar is frequented by absolute mugs. If you wish to replicate the most expensive and pretentious Shoreditch nightmare you've had then go there. If you have taste, and do not wish to hang out with English B-listers then head to another bar.

2  Thank Ruthielark
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback on your recent experience with us. I must say, that I was rather surprised and confused to read about some of the opportunities you described. Regarding your missing scarf, the entire security team and management team worked diligently for multiple days to try and locate the item you had misplaced. We contacted multiple venues and locations throughout the city on your behalf to try and locate your missing scarf. In Addition, now hearing of your missing IPOD, that is news to us and was not advised when you were at the hotel. With regards to our Signature scent, I am truly sorry it was not to your liking as many of our guests rave about the atmosphere it creates. Adding to that is our wood burning fireplaces in the lobby and Bar, they work together to create our signature organic and non-artificial sensory experience. Lastly, with regards to your experience with Rose Bar, you advised us upon departure how much you enjoyed the curated music our DJs play, so we were rather surprised to now find out your experience there was not to your liking?
My sincerest apologies that you did not find Gramercy to your liking. While we feel the entire property exudes a One of a Kind experience, I can understand how aspects of the curated smell, music and nightlife may not be to your liking, although that is what Makes Gramercy the special place it is. we also recognized that you were on your honeymoon and extended a room upgrade 2 categories above what you booked. In which case you would like to try out the property again, feel free to reach out to me directly as I would be happy to assist with any of your needs.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

My partner and I travelled to NYC from Atlanta to get married. We brought along with us 8 of our friends and family. Our experience with GPH started months before our arrival. The concierge and reservation specialist were so helpful in planning our special occassion. Upon arrival, we were not disappointed. The hotel is beautiful, but what stands out is the service. We always felt welcomed and special. By the end of our trip, we were sad to say goodbye.

1  Thank ttd1011

Truly a pleasure and honor to have spent such a special moment in your lives with us here at Gramercy! The history and unique environment that the property exudes, is absolutely perfect for such an occasion. They entire team was looking forward to your arrival and I so happy to hear that their hard work paid off with delivering a memorable experience for you. Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

My wife and I spent this Christmas at the GPH and were thoroughly impressed with this gem of a hotel. From the minute you arrive no request is too large. The rooms and entire hotel is exquisitely and tastefully decorated. We felt much at home and would absolutely return as often as we can!
Only negatives (if we would have to name a couple!) would be that the bathrooms were slightly on the small side and lack of a stand up shower wasn't to my liking. It is on the expensive side, but we really do feel that on this occasion you get what you pay for and in comparison to some other NY hotels really feel it's worth every penny!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick D
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Hello Nick - Thank you for the great review of the property, I am so pleased to hear of the great time you had with us. Holidays are a special time in the city, so fortunate that you were able to spend it here with your wife! At Gramercy we are all about the details, hence the unique and striking design, certainly hard not to love the moment you walk in. We do offer a variety of room accommodations equipped with large spa style bathrooms and Japanese soaking tubs, sprinkle in our customized rose bath salts and it is mere relaxation!! Just let me know when your travels bring you back to New York and I would be happy to appoint the perfect room for you and your wife!!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed there for 3 nights for a family event, although I got my own room. Everyone was so friendly and wonderful. I thought it would be much stuffier but was pleasantly surprised. Love the attention to detail. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank MChitown

Thank you again for the great review! At Gramercy we are all about the details and far from stuffy, so I am pleased to hear then you were genuinely pleased with your overall experience. I hope that you enjoyed the family event that brought you to New York. Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was my first stays at the Gramercy Park Hotel, and it was a wonderful stay. The heart and soul of the hotel are it's bars and restaurant, and we brilliantly managed to spend a lot of money there. Great people watching too. I had a queen room overlooking the courtyard---can't say I was madly in love with the room (it was small at 270 square feet---but we were given those dimensions at time of booking), and dark, and the bathroom is very small (no where to even put your DOP bag) but one of my comrades had a bigger, brighter room that we upgraded him to. The restaurant is great---and while they have great pastas, etc. we loved their cheeseburger on their late night menu and their Reuben. Their fresh croissant in the morning was fantastic---just perfect--- as was their wonderfully indulgent slab bacon. Our only minor complaint is that the hotel restaurant doesn't open until 7:30AM, and many hotels that have late restaurants opening for breakfast put out coffee for their guests, but the Gramercy Park doesn't do this. (We could call room service---but we really don't want to for a mere cup of coffee). Although the area immediately around the hotel is quiet (Gramercy Park), if you walk a few blocks their are great restaurant streets (East 19th, etc.). And BLT just a block and a half away was fantastic---we ate there three times. We plan to return to the Gramercy Park on our next visit to NY.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for the overall 5 Star Rating, truly means a lot coming from someone as well traveled as yourself. I was so pleased to hear of your positive experience with us. With regards to room types, our KING rooms give you an additional 50 square feet of space as well as an exterior view of Lex or the park, so should a little bit more space be required on a future visit, I recommend the King. Also, when your travels bring you back we'd be happy to organize a coffee maker in room for you should you desire as such. We reserve these upon request and are happy to accommodate. Truly sounds like you had a great time and were able to also indulge in the fine Food and Beverage here at Gramercy, Danny Meyer does a great job! Not sure if you had a chance to visit the Private Park while here, but if not something for next time for sure. Looking forward to welcome you back to Gramercy very soon.