“a favorite”

Ranked #91 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“a favorite”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A favorite place to stay in New York. Slightly less convenient, but in a quiet pretty area. The hotel feels like you're in someone's home....the decor is warm and comfortable and the staff is incredibly nice. Rooms are large....rooms with two beds are hard to come by in NY but the room with two queens was very spacious. Breakfast spot is lovely and the food was fine - nothing special.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SessieBoston
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hello Sessie - Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback about the Gramercy. I am so pleased to hear about your great experience with us. The striking design of the property complimented by our team of seasoned professionals who never say no. I am so happy to hear that your interactions with everyone put a smile on your face and left you saying WOW! Please reach out to me directly should your travels bring you back to New York so that I may personaly ensure you are well taken care of again!

All the best,

Daniel Entenberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, CA
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I truly enjoyed this hotel. The square in front of the hotel is a very nice private park to which hotel guests are given access (but, unfortunately, you cannot picnic). The staff is very friendly. I did not find it pretentious, but I tend to be oblivious to these things. I have two problems with the hotel, though. Firstly, the lighting: it is very dimly lit, both in the lobby and in the rooms when you first enter. When we called the desk about the lighting, nobody thought to tell us that everything was on dimmers (they were not obvious). We thought the bulbs were burned out! So, after having an "engineer" show up with a floor lamp, by accident, we found the slider dimmers!

Secondly, and majorly, the beds are not becoming of such a nice hotel. In fact, the ONLY reason I tend to stay at these hotels is because the beds are good. I have medical issues, and it is not fun to be on vacation when you ache. This hotel has cheap mattresses with a featherbed placed on top. When I asked for a solution, they said they would add a second topper, but it never showed up. What did show up after a reminder was an additional duvet, folded nicely on the bed!

I guess both of these issues also do show a lack of service. The front desk should have known about the dimmers, and I had to remind them about the featherbed. However, on several other things the service was great so I do not know how to rate the service. They were certainly all friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CAgirl408
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello CAgirl408 - thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am glad to hear that your service encounters with the team were all friendly in nature, as we truly are focused on service excellence here at The Gramercy. I am sorry to hear that the dim lighting was not to your liking. Our design is created in a way to slip you into a calm sense through our hallways as you enter the guestroom. Once inside, the dimmers allow you to create the ambinace to your liking, so I will ensure that this is reviewed with our team. With regards to our mattresses, I have some wonderful news to share that we are expecting shipment of brand new mattresses for the entire building set to arrive in less than 30 days. This product was customized just for the Gramercy Park Hotel! Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out ot me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

All the best,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a 5 star property with good service at the concierge and front desk BUT the food and beverage service is poor for this expensive a property. Breakfasts required a reservation. To go to the Bar at night required a reservation that morning! We also had some issues with attitude with some of the bar staff. For this price there are better alternatives.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello Travelinman626 - Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. The Gramercy truly is a great desitnation. While I am pleased to hear that your encounters were pleasent with the front desk and reception, I am thankful to also recieve your feedback on your encounters with the F&B team. With the Rose Bar being a destination, it does attract many patrons. We certainly do focus on hotel guest access, so I apologize having fallen short of your expectations. Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please do reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

All the Best,

Dan Entenberg
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Have just stayed at The Gramercy Park for two nights for a girls weekend away. This hotel is beautifully designed, from the use of lighting, fabric, interiors and most of all its art collection, a true boutique hotel. As you walk around the building no area has been skimped on, the two bars are stylish, the cocktails are made with care and the food all matches up!

Our room was a great size (for NY), and again really beautifully designed. If you go, a must is the terrace for brunch, book early as people come from the city to try it!

Above all the staff were fabulous, nothing was too much trouble, despite are exhaustive requests for dinner / cocktail / club / pamper appointments. Everywhere the sent us was spot on, a rarity!

Room Tip: We had a double double, there are not many of them in NY, 16TH floor was quiet and bright (for NY)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Hello Samantha - thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. The Gramercy truly is a great girls weekend destination. I was pleased to hear you found our accommodation stylish and spacious. Rose and Jade bar are fabulous, so I'm fortunate you were able to enjoy them. Above all, it's our team that makes a difference so I thank you for noticing that! Should your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

All the Best,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Been working a lot in NYC over the last few weeks or so, and our team have based themselves here in what is a pretty cool part of town. The first time arrived here I was taken by the ambience and coolness. Once you have been here 4/5 times it starts to wear on you as being pretty pretentious. Rooms are small, but this is NYC,but well looked after. Service is decent, but not spectacular given the room price - expensive by the way. Breakfast is good on roof top terrace, but again take your credit card. At night the in-house Rose Bar becomes one of NYC's trendiest hang-outs, if you can get on the guest list! Seriously - not a given, even if you are a resident. So overall it looks great, but feels average.

Room Tip: As ever in NYC, look for the higher level rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Gary H
Dubai
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We recently stayed at the Gramercy Park and had a great experience with the unique interiors filled with beautiful artwork and friendly and attentive staff. When we complained about the room being too small, they courteously upgraded us to a beautifully appointed larger room that felt like a suite. One feature I wish was available for hotel guests in the evening is the beautiful rooftop solarium with its enclosed glass-roofed spaces which is open only for special events in the evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Overall the hotel is great, service is good, and the staff are very courteous. Rooms are lovely and of a good size for NY if you compare with places like the Hudson and Soho Grand which are tiny.

Be aware the Rose bar is run by another company, the door-man has an agenda of his own, but if you book a spot in advance you should be fine to get in.

Prices for food and drinks are not cheap, but you're in central NY, so you should expect it...

Room Tip: If you can afford a King room, go for it. Otherwise the twin rooms just a comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business