“Gothic Glamor in Grammercy”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #91 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Gothic Glamor in Grammercy”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My first visit and now my "go to" Hotel in NYC! Arriving after dark, I was immediately enveloped in the glamor of the massive stone fireplaces lit against the chill - the plush ruby velvet wall hangings - the massive wood rafters soaring overhead .... the patina of the black /white Moroccan tiles under foot - like a dimly lit Giacometti inspired palazzo in Venice in the dead of winter. Luxuriously personal and inviting the lobby was filled with the soft murmur of European accents. (I WAS curious upon check in as to why I was not upgraded ...having used my Platinum AMEX for reservations as well as taking note of other guests who were upgraded as a courtesy. ?? The first week of opening following Sandy - the Hotel was not overbooked. Hmmm....)
My room was a Deluxe King and not disappointing. A jewel box of jades and lapis with the ever present richness of ruby velvet. The tiny bar twinkled with crystal decanters and glasses - begging me to imbibe. I was pleasantly surprised to have my black out shades drawn before retiring - however I discovered later that week that the apt. opposite my room on the 12th floor was exquisite ... I felt as if I were a silent guest at the dinner party they hosted - open terrace, floor to ceiling abstract art ...candles and cashmere...
Room service was inept - delivering the wrong meal - but the Hotel immediately set things right and all was forgiven.
I hosted a late after theater dinner at Maialino's downstairs ... beyond delicious - warm, inviting, the young staff is all smiles and delightful. And a sprinkle of truffles on any dish at your request! Breakfast on Sunday is brisk and quite a treat! The Roman style atmosphere with baguettes on display and thick white marble counters against a backdrop of checked table cloths is not to be missed. After a stroll in the privacy of Grammercy Park I was a tad alarmed to discover not only did the doorman have to let me IN to the park but I had to telephone him to come and rescue me when I was ready to be let OUT. (The keys to the park are guarded like gem stones!)
The Terrace dining (on the top floor) was a bit of a disappointment. No view - it felt quite claustrophobic. I will return when the weather is optimal.
I do understand about the Green Movement - less waste , etc, etc,... but at over $700 a night would it be too much to request that when I have used over half of the miniscule bottle of shampoo the Hotel might replace it with a fresh one the following night? Thank you. ( I do tip the dear ladies who magically clean up after I depart each day!)
I will return to the Grammercy Park Hotel as my young daughter is now a resident of NYC. I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Good evening,

Thank you for your rave review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Gramercy Park Hotel.

We look forward in welcoming you.

Best regards,
Wilmarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Exton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a wonderful time during our stay. The room was very nice and not like your usual hotel. We had hardwood floors in the bedroom and a big shower with outside light. Due to our late nights out, we did not get a chance to enjoy the roof top restaurant. However, we did have a few drinks at the bar downstairs. The bartender was great and mixed the most wonderful drinks. We'll definitely come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your rave review! We are thrilled that our ambiance, decoration and our service exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I love the GPH, fantastic location, well appointed rooms and wonderful Italian restaurant downstairs. Possibly the best pancakes I have had anywhere in the world (believe me, I have done my research). The rooms are spacious with a baroque feel, the mini bar is the epitome of glamour, definitely suggest upgrade to a loft. As a frequent business traveller it's very refreshing to stay in a place with such character. You can walk out straight to the square and loads of wonderful restaurants near by, plus stroll down to union square on the weekend to check out the farmers market is fun.

On the negatives if you are looking for 'predictable' 5 star business hotel this is not for you and if you arent going to take advantage of the entry to the rose bar etc it may seem over priced for the overall package. I would expect free wifi, I really don't rate the food/price at the gramercy terrace (and I know it's meant to be a destination venue but it didn't do it for me), the bath/shower feels a little dated and although it doesn't fit with the rock star vibe I'd love to be able to make tea in the room.

Having said all that, totally recommend it as a destination hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel for five nights in November just after power was restored after Hurricane Sandy while on holiday in New York. We booked via the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection which allowed us a rate with included breakfast, wifi and an upgraded room.

Upon check in we were upgraded to the king loft class of room. This was a beautiful and spacious room to spend our five night stay. It included a king sized bed, a small couch, a table and two large chairs. The room also included a funky bar below the tv. The bed was very comfortable with lovely linens. The room was long with three tall windows and long, velvet drapes.The bathroom was similarly well appointed.

Our first room was on the 3rd floor, above the very popular Rose Bar, located in the hotel. While the music was fun and funky, we didn't want to be kept up by the noise. I asked to be moved in the morning and the staff happily obliged. We were moved to an identical room on a higher floor.

We ordered room service twice and received great portions for the money spent. We ate breakfast every day at the Terrace. This restaurant had tasty breakfast options and a really friendly and attentive staff. It was great to talk to each of them about their post-hurricane stories. Everyone was wonderful, warm and friendly to us during our stay.

I look forward to stay at the GPH again and would recommend it to anyone for its first class service, wonderful amenities and great location. Thanks again!

Room Tip: If you can swing it price-wise, get the King Loft. Also, try to avoid rooms on the 3rd floor, unless...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your rave review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay at Gramercy Park Hotel!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our stay at the Gramercy was one of the best I have ever had. The rooms were exceptionally well appointed, the service was second to none and you cannot beat the location.

As you walk in, you immediately notice the high end surroundings and air of exclusivity. The artwork belongs in a museum. The bars and restaurants are run by some of the best in the city, and they have Stumptown coffee!

I would gladly stay here at any given opportunity. It made my stay in NYC.

• Stayed November 2012
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your rave review! We are so happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Gramercy Park Hotel!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

For $545 per night you'd atleast expect free wifi / coffee maker in room.
Room was small/ bathroom was even smaller with no where to put anything...
Even the bed didn't meet my expectations considering the price.
Staff were rude & unfriendly especially one female receptionist.
If you like places with no space, dark lighting & stuck up staff this is right up your street, if not I'd avoid it & save yourself the disappointment & the expense

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Lizlogfog
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey.
Please accept our most sincere apology for your stay at Gramercy Park Hotel!
I apologize you felt our staff was rude & unfriendly. please note very specific steps will be taken to ensure no recurrence like this happen again.

If you wish to give us another opportunity please contact me personally.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Sydney
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My Mum and I went on a trip to NY and stayed in 3 different high-end hotels - this was by far the worst. The decor in the room was seriously awful (well, if you like the bordello look you might enjoy it - bright red and blue velvet with shiny black edgings and dark panelling) You could barely see a thing in the room. Also a lot of the paint and furniture is very worn. We had a suite Ie separate bedroom and lounge, but the bathroom was so minute the 2 of us couldn't fit in at once. There was no bath (although oddly they supplied us with bath salts). The wifi only worked intermittently in the bedroom (ie if I held my ipad at just the right angle) and it is the only luxury hotel I have ever heard of that actuallky charges for wifi (actually we got charged the daily rate 3 times on some days, though the hotel did deduct all these charges when we brought it to their attention. The rooftop terrace restaurant is lovely but other than that, and the ability to access Gramercy Park, couldn't find anything to like about this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MooshkinSydney
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey.

We would like to apologize for your recent stay at Gramercy Park Hotel. We strive to provide that perfect balance of style and service. We apologize our design and decor did not suit your personal taste.

Artist Julian Schnabel designed the hotel’s interiors, inspired by the aesthetics, vibrant colors and artistry of the Renaissance. This era’s influence is clearly evident in the lush, undiluted color palette he chose for every wall, curtain and carpet in the hotel.

Bronze door handles, curtain rods and finials were all forged by Schnabel himself. These custom furnishings are complemented by a carefully curated collection of antiques and rare decorative objects -- like the handcrafted Moroccan tiles and Italian fireplaces -- imported from markets all over the world. The hotel's creative flair does not appeal to everyone, so we are sorry that you did not enjoy our distinctive style.