“Gramercy Park Hotel - not quite as good as it should be”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #90 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My family and I just returned from our USA holiday, which ended with a weekend at the GPH. I had been looking forward to staying in this well known hotel, as I last visited it 25 years ago, and had found it charming. We have mixed feelings about our stay. The location is great, Gramercy Park is a lovely neighbourhood, and a huge bonus, and indeed one of the reasons we chose this hotel was the fact that we would be able to visit the private garden (which is wonderful). We were greeted very well, check-in was excellent, bell-hops all superb both on arrival and departure; other members of staff (three women on the check-in desk) were really hopeless and unprofessional. Our room was very dark, with awkward cupboards, poorly designed bathroom, and the roof terrace was closed, which was a big disappointment. Had we known this we would have booked elsewhere. I had called in advance of our stay to book a table for dinner and brunch; the concierge had promised to email confirmation of this to me, but she didn't do this, and indeed, when we arrived at the restaurant there was no reservation. That was a shame and pretty poor. There seems to be a dislocate between the restaurant and the hotel. Then we were asked to move seats in the bar so that a painting could be hung. I got the feeling that customer service of hotel guests is not paramount. There were some good things and some poor things about our stay, but we were not overwhelmed with a feeling that we must come back. It could be a great hotel, but it isn't right now.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mrandmrssmythe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Wanted to love this hotel!! Room temp won't go below 74, not okay. The bed feels like a lumpy pile of hay. So disappointed!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank carok1964
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This was my first stay at the Gramercy Park Hotel. As a New Yorker I had been to the Rose Bar and to Maialino (the hotel's restaurant) but never stayed in the hotel as a guest. Now I live in North Carolina and travel to NY often for business. I miss New York and as I entered in my plush and luxurious retreat during my stay at the hotel I was reminded of everything I love about New York, its style, its energy and its convenience. Gramercy Park Hotel has an impressive reputation among New Yorkers - friends are always trying to get reservations at the bar and in the resturant. As a guest of the hotel you have access to the best food, cocktails and parks. Also, the staff are best in class, eager to hail a cab for you and accomodating - I was so grateful for the late check out. The general manager Elizabeth not only manages one of the top hotels in the city, but she goes above and beyond for her guests. This hotel is five star and I look forward to my next stay there.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MissLong
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is a quirky,beautiful little hotel in a wonderful location. The staff was very accommodating and the restaurant in the hotel, Maialino, was very good. We loved our visit to the Grammercy Park Hotel and look forward to coming back very soon!

Room Tip: We booked through Signature, which was a great value.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Dear Linda H,
Thank you so much for your rave review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at GPH. We agree that our staff is wonderful and friendly, and Maialino is some of the very best cuisine NY has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
Elizabeth Mao

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I was there in June 2010 for my 40th birthday as an extra special treat (not a cheap option!). Upon arrival in our room there was a complimentary cake for my birthday. The room was decorated wonderfully, and we had two queen beds. Only drawback in the room was the noise of the A/C, however it was necessary as it was so humid outside. The beds were very comfy, and the bathroom lovely.

The concierge was uber helpful. The bar was brilliant, relaxed with a good range of drinks, and we can testify that they make very nice cocktails! The location was great, and we walked nearby without any worries (though don't hold me responsible for your safety!!). We didn't use the bar very late at night, however it's clearly very popular - when we came back very late one night, it was literally buzzing and bouncing with music and the sounds of people.

The only slight disappointment was that if you want to eat downstairs, you are in the running with external diners so BOOK EARLY - there is no preferential treatment for residents of the hotel. So when we arrived, we couldn't get in for the next night (it's SO popular as a regular dining outlet), but they did recommend a nice Italian round the corner (can't remember its name - but we had a fabulous night there). Bit of feedback to the hotel, it would be great at time of booking to ask whether you'd like to book a table, to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I spent a week here, and didn't want to leave. Beautiful decoration, great service & the location is deluxe. I could go on & on...

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 15, 2012

It started with the arrival. After a long transatlantic flight you would hope that your room is ready by 2pm. Clearly it was not, which happens but the real disappointment was the incompetent approach to managing this situation. All the girl behind the reception offered was to take my mobile number and give me a call when the room was ready, but she wouldn't say if this was going to be 15min or 2 hours! They only offered to store our luggage after we suggested it and it was put onto a luggage trolley and left in lobby until I insisted a couple of times for it to be removed to a safe area. Never were we offered a drink or a table at the bare or any other form of courtesy and they effectively showed us the door by suggesting that the neighbourhood offered nice walks.

The room could not make up for the poor experience we had upon arrival, actually it amplified our dissatisfaction. It is not the small size of the room or the lack of natural light that threw me - I have been in NYC hotels before after all. It was the shabby, stained furniture, with marks all over them, the lack artificial light, that really surprised me (I am a regular traveller and stay in hotels 1-2 nights a week), as it did not even reach 4-star level in my view. Further, I am the only guy in the world travelling with appliances such as mobile phones, tablets and PCs? The room did not have a spare socket, other than in the bathroom. So I had to choose whether I wanted to use the lamp on the desk or the charge my phone and camera and I found myself moving furniture and tracing cables and leads to their origin. The worst however was the noise coming from the AC - if you want to cool your room it is like a 747 is landing in the room. I don't believe that I have ever experienced so much ambient noise in any hotel I have ever stayed in.

There are also a number of small details, which to me demonstrate that the hotel staff does not seem to care. Such as blinds which do no longer role down, a king bed-room where there is only one bathrobe in the bathroom etc.

On saturday morning we where up early, clearly jet-lagged and kept awake by the AC, which we never managed to turn-off completely, and we arrived at the restaurant at 7.20am, to find out that the 5-star Gramercy Hotel does not provide for guests before 7.30am. I hoped that the staff, who seemed to have the restaurant ready, would be able to let us sit already and have a cup of coffee, but they turned us away - we were clearly an inconvenience for them.

And did I mention that the roof terrace was closed for renovation during our stay? Clearly nobody bothered to tell us during the reservation nor during check-in. We were really glad to leave on Monday morning and at the check-in the girl did not even ask if I had enjoyed the stay - clearly they don't care.

Do yourself a favour and send you money with people who do.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple