“One of the Finest Hotels in Town”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #93 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, USA
“One of the Finest Hotels in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at the GPH for one night during the Christmas break and enjoyed the hotel very much.

The design and decor of the hotel is magnificent and special. It is not sanitary or predictable, as is the case with a Ritz Carlton or a Four Seasons. We had a loft room on the penthouse floor which had a great view of Gramercy Park. The room itself encompasses the history of the building. While the corridors were dungeon dark, the room itself was bright. The staff is amicable, although they don't trip over themselves trying to serve you. Beds, linens, toiletries and towels are all top notch. The Rose Bar is nice but the hotel tries to keep an appearance that its an exclusive bar which only allows a select few. This was not the case, as the crowd that was inside the Bar was mostly a mix of middle America tourists and mostly friends of staff members.

Cons were: (i) valet parking which is $65, even though the hotel's website lists it as $50; (ii) wifi is $15 a day (this is unacceptable for a luxury hotel. When you're paying top dollar for a room, wifi should be free); (iii) the corridors are very dark.

The biggest plus is of course Gramercy Park and the neighborhood which is relaxed yet sophisticated.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MFabulous

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

I've wanted to stay at the Gramercy Park Hotel for some time -- in large part because I wanted to go into the private park. We had the opportunity to stay here this week, and when we walked through the front revolving door the first thing that we experienced was a wonderful smell -- apparently their signature candles mixed with the scent of a crackling fire.

Our rooms were generous size, but our mahogany paneled bathroom was just too small, even by NYC standards. My sister's room -- adjacent to ours -- had a much larger bathroom.

Staff were incredibly friendly, and we had a great (albeit short) stay. And, yes, the doorman walked us across the street and we had an enjoyable Sunday stroll in Gramercy Park.

The only part of our stay that was flawed was room service. Why do most hotels seem to ignore the quality and responsiveness of room service -- while charging $25 for a glass of ice tea and a latte? The first ice tea I ordered was so weak it looked more like dirty tap water. The second latte we ordered took almost an hour to arrive (and one follow-up call by me) -- and the frothy milk on top was actually cold. I called this to the attention of hotel management, and the apologies were profuse and the charges removed. But I hope they will be able to improve the quality and responsiveness of room service in the future.

We wanted to buy one of their "signature" candles, but they are $150 each. For a candle. It's a shame they don't price them at a more sensible level, and they would then sell more of them. I think these candles would be good ambassadors for the hotel -- friends would ask, "What smells so nice?" And the response -- "The Gramercy Park Hotel."

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

We were in town after hosting a big dinner at the Gramercy Tavern. Dinner was amazing, we sent our guests off for late night entertainment and went to our hotel anticipating a wonderful nights sleep. Sadly, we were in a room near a loading dock. I slept a bit , but my husband got no sleep, every half hour or so there was a delivery or pick up that woke him up....by 4 am he was wandering the hotel and really angry about his sleepless night.

The Manager did comp us brunch at The Terrace, which was divine, but we drove home to PA and had to have naps because we were so tired from out disturbed sleep.

The hotel is lovely, the bar is great fun, the park is a treat, but none of this is fun if you are tired......make sure you get a quiet room!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

The GPH just blew us and our guests away with the reception we held on the rooftop called "The Terrace." The space is a series of unique salons surrounded by a wrap around terrace running the length of the building and fully enclosed in a glass canopy. The city sparkles outside at night with Chrysler Building and skyscaper views. Tons of candles lit the space, lounge seating kept it fresh, and the food got rave reviews. In planning the event, the GPH hospitality staff seems to be trained to just keep saying one word: "Yes." Can we have a non-alcoholic signature drink in addition to the signature cocktail? Yes. Can we have two salumni stations instead of one? Yes. Can staff shell the lobster tails for our guests at the buffet tables? Yes. Instead of 3 GPH desserts, can one dessert be from a specialty ice cream sandwich place we love? Yes. Can our dog stay at the hotel suite with us? Yes. Can we alter the recipes a bit for a couple of dishes? Yes. Can we completely change the proposed menu options? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. It was amazing and absolutely not what you will find at other top NYC venues. Michelle Condon, our Coordinator there, made the stress of planning a wedding there melt away. And everything she promised--EVERYTHING--she came through on.

Ours was a wedding that had a few bumps in the planning because a major storm in late summer caused the reception to have to be rescheduled at the last minute. The GPH and Michelle and her managers asked one question when we called on the morning of the storm in a panic: "What can we do to help?" What followed was perhaps the best customer service we've ever experienced.

The team, the space, the food, even the aroma in the lobby when you enter the building, is chic, hip, a touch edgy, and uber-NYC. We can't wait to find excuses to return in the future.

Room Tip: For a splurge to knock your socks off, check out the Penthouse suite that is like a Baronial mansion...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

My definition of luxury is when elegance is done simply.
This hotel does this effortlessly

Room Tip: Avoid the any rooms over the bar if you sleep early
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is not my normal type of hotel I usually stay at uber modern minalmalist places but they were full
Thank god loved it at gramercy,don't book here if you want isolation and piece and quite this place is full of life at the weekends great bars great restarants great staff great management

• Stayed December 2011
Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

The hotel is beautiful, with a good location and expensive. If you love Classic styles or a familiar setting, this is not the ideal hotel. This is where people show their designer clothing,purses, accessories, etc. It is a very high end experience that was totally worth it. I could go walking to the Highline Park, the meating pack district, chelsea and I also found many interesting restaurants, wine bars and shops along the way.It is a side of Manhattan very different from Times Square. This is another Manhattan - worth visiting, of course.

My reservation was for 1 bedroom suite. It was big enough. It was dark, full of velvet, nice style, chandelier, closet, good bathroom, the amenities were chosen by a style magazine. All in place. Just the Tv was not very well located and the view was terrible (ugly building in front of my window). The Bed is fantastic. I felt so good under those linens!

I really liked the concierge. They really work for you to have a pleasant experience. I received emails from them, asking my preferences and I also could book the Airport transfer well in advance (of course it is more expensive than other transportation services). I ordered a few items to be shipped to the hotel before I arrived and they were all in my room when I arrived. And I loved their recommendations for restaurants and clubs. They also arranged a reservation for Maialino, their italian restaurant and I loved it! The hotel bar was good, but the people... Only old drunk people.... Not a good place for 30 years old girls looking to flirt or chat. But it was the weekend after Thanksgiving, so, I don't know. Maybe the public is different another time of the year.

The doormen are wonderful, great, polite, helpful but when I checked out I could observe that even the taxis they called for me were charged ($1,50)... And the thing about charging for Wi-fi access... Come on! This is a high end boutique hotel. No need for that!

All in all, it was a good gift that I gave myself staying at Gramercy. Loved the experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo