“A little oasis of calm”
Review of Roosevelt Island

and up
Long Island City & Roosevelt Island Tour
Ranked #133 of 1,175 things to do in New York City
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Only a two minute tram ride from Manhattan, but so very different - it's peaceful, wheelchair accessible, and with lovely views from the park over Midtown and Lower Manhattan. We walked from the tram stop down to the tip of the island, which only took about ten minutes, but there is a free bus I believe which is also chair accessible. A nice place to just go and chill and admire the city.

1  Thank Zoe C
"cherry blossoms"
in 4 reviews
"long island city"

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Hope you will be surprised, amazed, and impressed with this quaint place as much as I was. For a long time I kept asking my friends to go there and always got “there is nothing to see” in response. So wrong! The island is different from what it used to be five years ago. But, even if there was nothing to see on the island itself, the views as you go around are absolutely spectacular. And - there are things to see: recently opened lovely park on the south end with impressive FDR memorial. Ruins of smallpox hospital at the park entrance are exquisitely unique and beautiful. On the north end stands the cutest lighthouse, and again – the view!
As I walked around along the water, I saw a small church, gorgeous Octagon building, whimsical sculptures in the water (I found three) and one pretty stature near the Octagon. Manhattan side of East River is busy with all types and sizes of water transport going back and forth; a walk along Queens side is quieter, but no less interesting.
And of course, the funicular ride is an attraction by itself, although F train conveniently stops on the Island. Right near the train station, there are Starbucks, some stores and restaurants (one is right near the water), and a fruit stand. I did not see any stores or a food truck anywhere else except in the south park, there are restrooms in that park too.

6  Thank NYAnatolia
Reviewed July 23, 2014

There's not much to do on Roosevelt Island. In fact, I don't think there's anything to do. But the simpleness of riding the cable car to the Island and strolling along its shores while viewing the city from afar is a nice treat. I don't think it's a must-see for people on a short vacation, but for someone like me who went for 8 days, it was a nice contrast to the fast-paced city.

3  Thank Newbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I'm surprised that this is not amongst the top attractions in NYC! First you get to take a short ride on only aerial tram in NYC (which is a nice experience by itself) overseeing the East River. This costs only a subway fare now. Then there's the free red bus which takes you to the northern tip of the island (where the lighthouse is). The island itself is only 40+ blocks long, so on a beautiful day a nice stroll around the island would be my recommendation. There are places to eat near the subway station, a Starbucks is also there, and a Gristede super store further north where you can buy sandwiches and salads. Then you can head south to visit FDR Four Freedoms Park. Cycling around the island can also be had, and I'd say much 'safer' than cycling in Manhattan. NPS is also offering free guided tour of Four Freedoms Park so you get to learn about the history and also how to better appreciate the design of the park.

7  Thank MK330
See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We travel to NY several times a year so we are now looking for more unconventional things to do and places to explore. We have been thinking of visiting Roosevelt Island for some time. Took the tram from NY which was a great ride. We only visited the southern portion of the island and plan to return for the north end since we got a late start. We took info from other tripadvisor reviews and walked the west side walkway to the Rossevelt Memorial in the park. There was also a small festival with food and drink along the walkway. also there is water to purchase right outside of the memorial. Also great areas to picnic. Complete water view, easy walk, lots of wild flowers, geese, and great views of NY and Queens area. Saw kayakers, jet ski's, boats, etc...memorial was a great surprise. Much larger than I had thought by reading other reviews. Beautiful design that narrows to the point of the island with another nice view and place to sit and reflect. The memorial is well staffed and you pass the old ruins of the small pox hospital which are interesting. You can get a lot of info off line before going, but I agree with some other reviewers, this trip is best for those who visit this area frequently and not for a one or two time visitor. There are much more exciting things ot see in NY but we enjoyed the peaceful diversion.