“Chinese with a side of "Who Cares"”
Review of Wu Liang Ye

Wu Liang Ye
Ranked #2,816 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 7, 2014

If you are looking for standard chinese food without any flair, visit this place. The staff must be playing cards or something in the back because the LAST thing they want to do is help you or make sure that your dining experience is a good one. I had water, I was never asked if I wanted anything to drink so I didn't order anything else. Not once did any server, host - anyone - smile, that I could see. The dining area was a little cramped so if you have claustrophobia, you should probably not stop in here.

The food came, it was good, but nothing spectacular. I order in the same fried rice from my local UES chinese place, identical, but about 4 Dollars Cheaper. If you look at the menu on the website, they show "Lunch Specials" - beware! That is ONLY FOR TAKEOUT customers.

When he brought the check, my friend and I put down our credit cards, the server snatched it up before we had a chance to let him know how we wanted it allocated, so he just assumed we wanted to split it. Thanks for thinking for us - NOT!

I do not think I will be returning any time soon - there are better and more pleasant Chinese places in NYC.

1  Thank WineMeister
There are newer reviews for Wu Liang Ye

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We had a nice meal with appetizers and four shared entrees.The service was good and I liked the dining room (probably once the parlor of a private home.) It was pricey.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

The restaurant was highly ranked as a Sichuan restaurant by the Village Voice and although the food was good and service was pleasant, I thought it was a little over-rated. Most of the food on the menu you can find in any Chinese restaurant and although the meal was good and portion sizes were fair, the food is cheaper in Chinatown and it is better to hop a subway and go downtown for the same dishes that are half the price. It is worth going to once though and if you are by Rockefeller Center, make a special trip to the restaurant.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We ordered braised fish fillet and pea shoots, we ended up paying $59 before tip. First of all, fillet wasn't even close to the best that I've had, I think it's $26 vs. $16 at Han or Grand Sichuan, which has much better fish. Pea shoots cost $23? come one, that's high way robbery. I am never going back to this place again. It was partly our fault that we didn't look at the prices nor double check the prices on our bill, but with so many other good Sichuan places in the city, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go in 5 years time (it has been here for a long time). Any reason it would still be around would be tourists.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Went there for dinner. Very authentic Sichuang food. We really liked it. However, the drink was pretty expensive and the waitor was not friendly at all. He did not want to sit us down until all of us showed up. Had to wait at the reception area.